Reinstalling CPU

Twister026

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Hello everyone, as the thread title states, I am going to plan on reinstalling my CPU soon along with the stock heatsink/fan(low on cash T_T). Thing is I do not know what to do and how to do it properly without messing something up. I talked to a few of my friends and they say to use a rag to clean off the thermal paste and stuff but I am not sure about that. It would be awesome if someone could tell me what to do properly without messin up the cpu and stuff cause I got some new thermal paste also and will most likely upgrade the heatsink/fan to a aftermarket one O.O.

Twister026

Distinguished
May 10, 2008

so use an index card to gently wipe off the thermal paste from hsf and cpu? After doing that use "anhydrous" isopropyl alcohol carefully with a rag or somethin to make sure its reasonably clean and able to apply new thermal paste O:?

Mondoman

Splendid
Yep, that's what it says. You want to get rid of all the previous paste and have an oil-free surface to apply the new stuff. The index card or similar is just to get rid of the bulk of the old material easily -- the isopropyl alcohol step is the key step.

endyen

Splendid
I hope you come back before you start, or you will be posting a thread about how the chip came out with the hsf.
After you have loosened off the hsf retention clips, try to break the bond between chip and heatsink by using a gentle twisting motion, without lifting, or trying to twist too far. You should feel when the bond is broken.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Easyer to remove when it is still -warm- from running.