Weird back up drive issue

nitro1964

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Hi, I have 2 hdd my Primary a Samsung 750gb SataII 32mb cache and works fine, my back up is a Seagate 1TB SataII which is 5 months old. Last night BOTH were working fine with no issues. This morning when i powered up, i could not even access windows. After much messing with changing cables and ports. I found the following, my Samsung drive will only boot into windows as long as the Seagate drive is NOT attached to the system.

As soon as i would attach the Seagate drive it will not boot up, and also BOTH drives are not seen in bios, i reset cmos as a last resort. But the problem remains. Why, last night was it working fine on power down, and this morning it won't even allow boot up if connected. I would have thought even if it was bad for some reason, it would not operate or be seen, but to stop my primary drive from booting up, is weird to me.

This is especially as the drive is quite new and last night it worked absolutely fine, it also has a lot of data on it, which as of now i cannot get to or retrieve. Has anyone got any idea's why this should happen so suddenly, and when the pc was not even in operation. Got me stumped. Thank You

nitro1964

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009

Update:

I have reinstalled sata controller drivers, PC will now boot with Seagate attached, but is still not recognized in windows or bios....any suggestions..????