darkknight4686

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hey all,

I am NOT going to overclock. I am NOT going to SLI. I may use the EVGA Step Up program to upgrade to new nVidia video card when they come out. Using these facts, which power supply should I get:

Thermaltake Purepower 500W (Current PSU)
Corsair HX 620W - $130
Corsair TX 650W - $100
OCZ GameXStream 700W - $90

Here are my system specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte DS3L
CPU: Quad Core Q6600
RAM: 4GB OCZ DDR2 800
Video Card: EVGA 8800GTS 512 (G92)
HDD: Seagate 7200.11 500GB SATA 3.0

Appreciate your input! Thanks!

darkknight4686

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I would really like a modular PSU since its easier to manage all the cables. However, if it will cost more than $20 extra for a modular PSU that has the same power stats as another one, then I would rather not go with a modular PSU.

What is the advantage of the PCP&P 610 over the other ones listed, especially since the 650W Corsair is cheaper?

I'd say corsair 650. I use the same in my system and it totally rocks. I don't know if I can post links torture test i've seen it endure but it's proven rock solid. However it is not modular.

I have a intel q6600 oced to 3.0ghz, 8800gt, 2 raptors, and 2 other HDD.

It uses a single powerful 12v rail so you don't have to worry about load balancing. which is one of the main reasons i upgraded to it.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

On sale this week @ Newegg for $109 with shipping.
I would really like a modular PSU since its easier to manage all the cables.
Ever hear of a 4 cent item called a zip tie?
Modular PSU's have many faults.
The connectors fail over time to provide amp/voltage flow.
120mm fans take up heatsink space and the center hub creates a hot spot due to no airflow.

PC Power &Cooling PSU avoid these issues and are -single rail- 12 volt supplies so ALL the 12 volt amps are usable...and they are all 12 Volt Amp -constant- rated.
A PC P&C 610 is rated at a constant 49 AMP 12 volts....not SURGE.

The 7 systems on my game LAN in my profile are all OC'ed 50% with everything on -STOCK- volts and I use PC Power & Cooling Turbo 510's for the PSU's which are better PSU's than OCZ 600-700's.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

There is -no- Corsair 510-610 watt PSU that has that many 12V amps.
Go back to school and learn basic electronics/math and work things out for yourself.

PC Power & Cooling is the best and most solid PSU you can get as well as the cleanest voltage supply as viewd on an oscilloscope under full load.
Massive solid and -CLEAN- amps on a single rail so it is all 100% usable unlike all other PSU's.

That is why PC Power & Cooling is the worlds finest PSU's.

All my OC's using the exact same MB/RAM/CPU's as others get the same/higher results with PC Power & Cooling PSU's and I never need to raise any voltages.

You get the high quality you pay for and they always out preform other companys units rated/sold as higher watt output.

HardOcp has given just about every corsair unit a silver or gold rating and they're pretty thorough about the output testing.

I really don't want to turn this post into a battle between me and olddude over which power supply is better. so i'll say that either will do nicely for your purpose and leave at that.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

You failed electronics and or basic electricity in school.
The so called "650 watt" PSU you point to can not provide 52A @ 12v constant let alone -clean oscilloscope under full load- power.

Simple math shows it to be only 624 not 650 Watts and even that is a temporay surge rateing with "dirty" oscilloscope readings unlike the constant and ultra clean output of a PC Power & Cooling unit that are constant rated.

Even Tomshardware has shown the PC Power & Cooling 1KW to provide more/cleaner power than the same size/class Silverstone PSU under full load on an oscilloscope .
Silverstone PSU's are what Falcon Northwest Computers use to build thier $5-20K computers with.
Basically they build out with the 2nd best PSU.
I don't.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

This is not a battle.
This is education.
Companies like TIM (Artic Silver) and PSU companies use posted rateings and "statistics" to try to sway people to buy thier products.

Artic Silver given it's % of "extra cooling" charts and graphs does in fact really not cool any better than common Silicon Grease by any real mesure at all.
I only use the cheap 99 cent packs of Silicon vs the Big Bucks Artic Silver...and get the same real life results!

PSU's on the other hand do matter...a great deal when overclocking.
The results in my profile (50% on stock volts) are dated by two years but are consistant with the currant builds for those who pay-to-play that I build out for.

If your going to OC and get "that build" then the old adage that the PSU is the most important part of the build is never so true.

Best PSU = PC Power & Cooling.
Best MB = DFI.
Best air cooling = Themalright
Best case = Coolermaster (old CMS TO-1 with Crossflow Fan kit)
Best 120mm fan = Silverstone FM-121

Your quick to say that corsiar provides dirty power when pushed. while i'll admit i know little about actual electronics I do know to trust and expert when I see one.
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyMCwzLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I have to disagree with olddude. I own two Silverstone 1200W power supplys. ones modular and ones not. They both push 90amps on a single rail and run very cool, I have never had a single problem with either, and being a reviewer means i have to push all components i am testing. DFI is not the best board out there, and thermalright is only one of the best coolers as far as air cooling. PC Power & Cooling is a good power supply but your paying for their name, besides OCZ bought PC Power & Cooling over a yeaer ago. Lian Li makes some og the best cases out there as well as Silverstone / Antec and CoolerMaster. Antecs latest case the 1200 is a full tower with excellent airflow as well as the Lian Li P80 and the lastest CoolerMaster 830 Stacker. I own all 3 of these plus the Silverstone TJ-07 that my 12TEC Boreas came in. Go with the Corsair 520 i have read some bad reviews from owners on the 620 & 650 but then again i have never tested or reviewed either of them.

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006

I couldn't have said it better lol Old dude is going by what he likes and thats it. As a reviewer i have to say that there are alot of good companys old there that make great products. The only thing he said that i agree with is that artic silver five is over rated. I use Zalman STG - 1 on every machine i own and also on every machine i build and sell. I have seen results of STG-1 cooling better by 4c-8c plus its easy to apply with the brush thats built into the cap. Old Dude you need to catch up on your reading before passing out advice. You mentioned something about 2 yrs,well alot has happpened in those two years.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006

darkknight4686

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Thanks for all the advice people! I appreciate your comments and input on this matter since I do not have many computers and have not been able to test PSUs.

Just wanted to let everyone know. I have decided to go for the Corsair 750W because it was only $10 more than the 650W on newegg when I bought it. I know its a little overkill, especially since nearly every PSU calculator only puts my system at 350W - 400W max, but I couldn't resist that kinda power for that price, especially from Corsair brand. I guess that will give me more than enough "future proofing" eh....

Either way, thanks again for your input and good luck to everyone!

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
I had a few customers that had PC P&C 850w and they had nothing but problems with it. Most had to do with fan noise and two had to do with power loss. For your build that Corsair would be a good choice.

ap90033

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Seriously, I have had several PC Power and Cooling Power supplies in my builds and NOT ONE PROBLEM...

Corsair= Good Power supply.
PC Power and Cooling= Best Power supply...

http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-750-quad-black.html?show=rev

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W — The Silencer lives up to the hype surrounding PC Power & Cooling, and then some. This PSU just about has it all, including a five-year warranty, clean power delivery, dual 8-pin PCIe connectors, and a truly monstrous 12V rail. Despite using an old-school 80mm fan, noise levels are remarkably low, as well. Throw in the highest efficiencies we've seen and you have our second Editor's Choice recipient. A quality power supply is an investment, and even at around $170 online, the Silencer is a good one.

+1. (I reserve my opinion on TIM though)