Striker II and OCZ reboot issue?

OTiger

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Hi, newby here.

Oh No!! I have been assembly a 'mid' performance gaming platform, using my 'old' 8800 GTS and then a number of new build components, listed below.. The idea was to re-introduce myself to the world of overclocking, having sold myself to the Devil and buying a prebuilt system 3 years ago!! I did some homework before selecting the parts I wanted, with an idea of eventualy pushing the hardware as far as it would go, but for now just bringing me back up to speed. But it's not going right from the beginning!!

The new system appeared to boot ok but (seemingly) spontaneously system rebooted in windows, sometimes when tranferring files, when using ASUS PC Probe 2, or when running 3DMark06. It did do this at other points aswell but those seemed most consistent. As it seemed to go wrong at any point I scrutinised the memory and upped the voltage from 1.66 to 1.76. Noted all temperatures seemed pretty low and I've good airflowin the case. The machine gets through 3DMark and ASUS probe now but will still reboot, possibly at times of stress although I don't see installation routines as being particularly stressful. All other tweaking BIOS settings at set at AUTO

I'm starting to realise something as featured and customisable as the S2E is like jumping in at the deep end and finding the route cause could for me be like looking for the needle.... There's some suggestion here OCZ memory is just not up to the task? Any ideas as what to try next?

Also, for anyone specifically using the Striker 2, any joy getting the HD audio to work? This usually causes Windows to not load correctly, I've had to disable it and remove drivers.

Components:--
ASUS Striker II Extreme NVIDIA nForce n790i Ultra SLi (bios 0704)
OCZ Reaper 2x1GB PC3-10666 [OCZ3RPR13332GK]
BFG 8800 GTS OC 328 MB
Atrix 650W PSU (ATX v2.2)
Windows XP SP2

akhilles

Splendid
Not true. Those who suggest swapping out otherwise working parts are newbies. They don't wanna spend time dealing with the hardware. They just return it & buy a new one. OCZ is up to the task. Alright.

I think your upping vdimm (well, I think ocz lists the 1.7v as specs) is getting somewhere. If your pc is overclocked, reset to defaults. Anyway, keep vdimm at or above 1.7v, lower your ddr speed by a notch, run some tests.

Your Windows may not be stable. The best platform for stress-testing is DOS. Google Ultimate BootCD. Run Prime for 8 hours. Run memtest for 8 hours. Tell me it crashes.

OTiger

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
The Processor is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600. It is not overclocked, the BIOS settings in the extreme tweaker are set to [AUTO]

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

causes

1) high nb temps caused by nv voltage over 1.5v or bad cooling

remove heat pipe assembly and reinstall with new compound - stiker ii formula is prone to TC hardening and crack and the delamination of the heat pipe/chip interface

2) improper memory settings - voltage is wrong or other settings

3) too low of cpu voltage on oc

4) improper settings for quad core needs GTL voltage and low LDT

there is a start!

since you have the extreme the compound is different

but above may apply

voltage may be too low 1333 7-7-7 needs 1.8-1.85v 1600+ needs 1.9-1.95

OTiger

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Hi, sorry for slow reply. HAd to go away again. Have been back for a few days now and given the system a good test since applying some changes. Right:-

1) Re-applied heatsink compound. - VRMs and NB seemed ok but SB was a bit bubbly. Knocked off only 1-degree celcius in idle though.

2) In BIOS, set Memory, NB and SB voltages manually. I won't say what to 'cos eveyone's responsible for blowing up there own board. WhatI will say is the S2E manual has a table on recommended voltages for light, medium and high loading.

3) Set Memory clock to rated (1333Mhz in my case)

4) Retained 2:1 ratio for FSB (667Mhz FSB clock). This is done by using the BIOS CPU-up setting, QX9950 I think it was. This will run the CPU at 3.0Ghz on the x9 multiplier. In my system I have the punisment friendly SLACR version of the Q6600. If copying this setup and using the lower grade CPU, WATCH YOUR TEMPERATURES!!

5) Enjoy your system!

Its been running for days on end. Aswell as Prime and 3DMark06, I've thrown CoD4, TDU, GRAW2, Race Driver DIRT at it on high settings and it's happy enough. I'm still on the stock cooler but gonna upgrade it as on load it's around 61 degrees c (SLACR can take 71 degrees)

CONCLUSION: She's a bit(h to get going but once she's running she's amazing...

Hmm...

Is that my M/Board or girlfriend????

OTiger

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
OH, as a side note, the HD-Audio worked straight away once stability was achieved. Thanks to akhilles and dragonsprayer for your help