Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Does anyone who has AMD AM2+ or AM3 motherboards try AHCI mode and then try to use SMART for their hard drives?

I googled recently and from the sounds of it, it seemed that AHCI mode would disable SMART option on your hard drives if you are tying this on AMD 780G chipsets. I am not sure if this is accurate or temporary or if it extends through the rest of AMD's AM2+ (and maybe AM3) motherboards. I would like it confirmed if possible.

Anyone know about this potential issue?

The only idea I thought I had would be to ask in the AMD forums but not sure how successful that would be in confirming the issue.

It could be only a temporary hurdle to go through to be able to use both but I am concerned because I am planning a new build but I want to use SMART for my hard drives. I guess there are some software tools for SMART but doesn't it have to be enabled in the hardware side, too? I guess I have some confusion there but I need to find out the answer to these questions before I go ahead and choose AMD for the build.

Else, I'd go Intel since I have read that there is no potential issue with SMART and AHCI mode with their motherboards.

Any replies are appreciated, btw!!! ;-)

r_manic

Administrator
I can't speak from experience, but I think the SMART-disables-AHCI reality extends to the motherboard sockets you speak of.

In any case, why would you want both enabled in the first place? Sorry for the noob question.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
don't know about amd chips but ahci and smart are not mutually exclusive i am running both right now.

do know though that xp does not include ahci drivers though you can work around it if you insist, both vista and win7 have drivers integrated already

@manic
you would want both because they do different things

knoest

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I just did and smart works with AHCI. I use an AMD Phenom (X4) 940 processor ans smart works on all my drives.
Did not get better speed (or hardly noticeable) but drives are working very stable.
It is worth trying. Use Vista Ultimate 64.