7950 Gx2 Issues with vista

Renowith

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
i got a nividia 7950 Gx2 graphics card and im haveing issuse with low fps in all my games. i have tryed diffrent drivers(ForceWare Release 169 WHQL 169.25 and ForceWare Release 169 BETA 169.28) which were both recommended to work. i also tryed removeing one of my sticks of ram because it was said it wont work with over 2gigs of ram. and removed windows aero and went with the classic look. ive tryed all of these but nothing seems to work. can any one help me.

here is the DxDiag notepad for my com: http://www.ramzal.com//upload_files/1390917168_DxDiag.zip

blackwater11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
Have you considered going with windows XP? : ) If you can't get your 7950GX2 to work with Vista how can you then call XP a downgrade? This is why Maziar said..
"its not related to your problem, but i wouldnt call it a downgrade(because of many reasons)"
If you can't (upgrade) to windows XP, I feel your pain

Surface

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I'm posting on behalf of him as he's downloading SP1 as we speak.

Windows XP is NOT an option, we all know XP is a wonderful fine product but we do not have 100$ to drop on a new OS.

This FPS issue has been an ongoing thing for months and we hoped if we tried now, the drivers would be stable enough to fix it. I'm starting to get the feeling it's not drivers and it's some compatibility error. I have searched many forums, and only get topics dated back from 2006 related to this problem. I made sure he had X-Fire uninstalled because I know that has given me issues in the past. We also removed any "vista" feature that I know a DX9 card wouldn't handle. The forums are the last ditch effort.

We've tried multiple games to see if it was just one. Call of Duty 4 runs at around 20 fps, Company of Heroes is 8-14, and even World of Warcraft runs in the 20's. He was using an 8400gs I before this, and he had higher frames. The 7950gx2 is obviously the superior card and being as I previously ran that card on a computer similiar to his, I know he is not even coming close to maximum FPS.

We've also considered downgrading to DX9 but that seems to not be the issue as everything I read seems to state that DX10 is backwards compatible.

Once again, we're just waiting for the SP1 Vista to complete and we'll see where that takes us.

sailer

Splendid
I friend of mine has a 7950GX2 and he suffered a lot of problems when he upgraded the OS from XP to Vista. He has struggled for months to get it to work right, but hasn't succeeded so far and is now planning on getting a new card. He likes Vista well enough that he doesn't want to go back to XP. SP1 may help, and if it does, post that and I'll pass the information to him. At the same time, if the OP is going to stay with Vista, he might be best off going back to the 8400GS. A 7950GX2 may appear on paper to be a superior card, but if it isn't in actual use, than the 8400GS would be the one to use.

I don't think downgrading to DX9 would do any good. The problem seems to be in with Vista, not which DX is used. At least this was my friend's experience.

nobrainer

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2002
I ran my 7950gx2 on Vista (w/ and w/o sp1) and I had occasional Frame Rate problems, but nothing as bad as what you're saying. My problems were that the games weren't stable in them, they would either bluescreen the whole box or, in the case of Sins of a Solar Empire, would freeze momentarily w/ a windows popup that the video driver has caused and error and was restarted. But the game never crashed. Though, that was the straw that broke the camels back, I went back to XP.

Possibly if the PSU isn't up to snuff, maybe it's not supplying enough Juice - though, if it ran fine in XP.... maybe not.

sailer

Splendid

In my friend's case, he has a PC P&C 750, so I doubt power is the issue.

Ifni

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
I just got a 9800gx2, and for a tic there I was also having issues w/ fps - it turns out it was the games that were not optimized for sli, just go in to the nVidia control panel and change from multi-gpu mode to multiple display mode, I did that and my fps in wow @1920x1200 went from 20-25 to 60-80 or so lol. Hopefully that will work for you as well.

Surface

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
PSU isn't the issue in Renowith's case. He purchased a new one just for the card, I think it's around 800w. The installation of SP1 takes a long time, so we're just waiting for that to finish.

Ifni, if you spent all that money on your 9800gx2 and you're not utilizing both GPU's you might want to get your money back.

We've tried both multi-gpu and multi display as well, same problem.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

no, no, and no. DX10 is not backwards compatible but you cannot download DX9 as windows vista has DX9.0 L.
the reason windows vista has DX9 and DX8 and probably all the way to DX6 is that many games use a combo of DX's.
For example: game A might use DX9 for the shaders but only DX7 for the explosions because DX7 already provided the tools to animate the explosions.

As for your problem it's hard to say, I would assume that it's drivers but as you said you already tried that.
When did you buy it? maybe you can get a refund? Sell it on ebay?
If you can get a refund or sell it, I would recommend getting a 9600GT for ~$140 or a 8800GT for ~$170 or a 8800GTS 512 for ~$200
If you got a little more to burn then get a 8800GTX. Don't get a 9800GTX 9800GX2 or 8800ultra.

Ifni

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Hehe just because WoW doesn't want me using both GPU's, doesn't mean the other games I spend my time on don't /wink.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
I don't know why your having so much troubles but my old 7300GT has no probs whatsoever with vista, vista is just like xp who can remember when xp just came out? It was $hit but after 2 SPs its now the "best OS."
Honestly the 9600GT, 8800GT, 8800GTS G90, GTX, ultra are all way better than the 7950GX2. a GX2 card a crap, just like the 9800GX2.

Surface

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
Really? Thanks, because I was looking for someone to put down the video card in question. Thanks for informing me about other various cards too, because I'm sure with that suggestion you intend to give me the money to purchase the new card, right? Wrong.

Let me try this again. The situation is we have VISTA and we're trying to get the 7950gx2 to run properly on VISTA. There has been NO MENTION of Windows XP nor any intention to install, none other the less PURCHASE Windows XP.

The gx2 runs TWO gpu's so for as why your SINGLE gpu runs fine on Vista I'm sure you can now figure that out. I'm WELL AWARE what cards are better than a 7950gx2, you act as if we're just going to toss a card aside that money was spent for because Johnny Nobody says so.

I appreciate the help from people who SUGGEST things, not sit here and give me noise about what's good and what's bad.

As for a status update, I have spent a good 4 months trying to solve this and we're reverting once again back to the 8400gs until we can figure out what's really causing this issue.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Have you tried driver cleaner? it never hurts. Google driver cleaner.
I think the prob is vista is not using both cards, the drivers are up-to-date so theres really no way to fix it until we figure out exactly whats wrong.

blackwater11

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2008
Have you tried windows XP?
My friend, if you've been trying this for 4 months and nothing is working (I truly admire your spirit)
Get your head out of your asses, sell the outdated card on ebay and buy yourself a newer card.
Time is money. All the time you have already spent trying to get it to work you could have been out working and saving the money for an amazing card. So you want us to SUGGEST things - here are our suggestions. The horse is dead stop beating it.