Nvidia releases Tegra processors

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Its pretty small and they did state it could play 720p, so it should at least be decent G31-G35-ish I think...

But given on what we know performance degradations we know about really energy efficient chips (I'm talking better than my computer), I'd like to contradict that though (great example being Intel Atom)

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
^ Proceed with caution, Fudzilla is...

Anyways found slightly more:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2316148,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

Summary: Tegra is ARM 11 surronded by audio and video decoders. Will be coupled with ultra low power Geforce. Useable with Windows CE or Mobile. Two versions at lauch, 600 @ 700MHZ and 700 @ 800MHZ. Later lower power consumption. HDMI may be added to allow playback of HD.

Saves you from reading the entire thing...

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Extra summary from INQ and Fud: Tegra can do 720p with 600mv. Nvirda says 1/10th size and power requirement of Atom, 10x performance of Atom. Can run Quake 3 @ 35FPS. 20 hours of video. Mobile Tegra is fatter than Iphone but may end up slimmer. Has HDMI, analog, headphones and USB 2.

Its amazing how easily you can dilute 5 1page articles into a paragraph...

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
The real question is... is this the product of Nvidias splurging on research of micro processors that has been happening over the past couple of years and or only the acquisition of the firm that made this possible.

Will we be seeing a desktop processor from them any time soon?

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Yes, so did Nvidia. Atom's held back by the GMA 950 and to some extent the CPU itself. Its mainly because X86 was never deigned for mobile use, thus leading the ARM architure into glory... One day I think we shall all use ARM or PPC...

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I doubt it tho, they have made an ARM processor, it would take quite some time to adapt it to X86. Anyways Nivida I've got to hand it to you, you really know how to steal away my love of AMD... I'm gonna guess a low-power CPU from AMD (not geode) I mean like they've done it once why not again?

I'd love to see what they could come up with...

Isnt one of the biggest problems with this the amount of power it takes is more to do thae same job?

The one thing I will wounder is how versitile CUDA is. It may scale very well but can you do multiple processes at once, IE Decode a DVD, encode a AVI, play music and surf the web or will you be stuck to one process at a time. How does the same performance gain from CUDA compare while doing multiple processes?

I just like to question new people to the game. I like nVidias go get em attitude but I feel they are also bitting more than they can chew by pushin Intel.

Atom is not that bad. Its a decent low power CPU and is held back by the chipset. We may see a Atom refresh based off of Nehalem later on. I do feel that nVidia is fudging its numbers a bit but that happens with most companies now a days.

Well this should be an interesting area as we will see nVidia and Intel go for the UMD market, although Intel is a big pushed in that arena so that may be interesting to see how nVidia pushes into it.

ryman554

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006

I can say for certainty this will not happen. Atom is its own uarch.

In the end itll depend somewhat like what fangirl said. If you look at the Fastra model, it wasnt being done in octo sli, so it seems to me yes, they can run multiple, depending on the apps of course. If you have a 4 pci slot setup, why not? And it could even be done better than that. You have to admit, some of the thunder is being taken out of multicore cpus with this news. And its only the beginning

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
For what it is aimed at Tegra is a viable solution. For the Desktop its to specialized. Same goes for CUDA. It is lightning fast with specialized applications and as long as it doesn't have to juggle multiple tasks.

I suppose its possible some day an ARM based could show up. How itll fare? Who knows? These are exciting times. To me, these things (gpgpu apps) are as exciting as the Nehalem launch. Which will only be able to do more faster, and better