Building a "future proof" system?

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Okay, I KNOW there is no such thing as a future proof system. But if you were building a system TODAY, what memory/chipset/cpu combo would you choose that is most likely to have an upgrade path in the future? I really don't want to build my new system on a platform that is already on its way out!

Well, if you want to build a "future proof" system today then I would look at AMD rather than Intel. Intel will be releasing their Nehalem CPU at the end of this year (the Extreme version) with mainstream versions coming out in Q1 2009. Socket LGA775 will die a sudden death when Nehalem is released 'cause it will introduce new sockets.

The bad thing about going with AMD now is their relative poor performance compared to Intel's CPU. That's why they are cheap. In addition, AMD is stuck in a rut, Phenom took too long to get off the ground and it hit a few stumbling block when it was released.

AMD's next CPU will probably be socket AM2+, but given their track record since the release of Intel C2D CPU, are you will to purchase a lower performing CPU now in hopes that AMD will hit a home run next time around? Considering AMD's shaky financial standing, I don't think they will have the money to invest into a "Nehalem killer" anytime soon.

I recently built a new PC and I decided to go with Intel's C2Q, the Q9450, despite Nehalem's mainstream introduction about 10 months from now.

cyph0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
WAit for Nehalem that is suposedly due out at the end of this year... Go with an Nvidia GPU chipset for the new one is due out this month. The GTX280 supose to be THE NEXT BIG chip and not just a revamp/shrink of the G80. Where as ATI may have a better price but that is for performance of today. NVIDIA carries the horsepower needed for tomorrow with the paycheck of tomorrow as well!

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
If you want SLI, NVidia 780/790 chipset (790 offers slightly better SLI performance but requires more expensive DDR3 RAM).

Anything else an Intel X38 or X48 motherboard that uses DDR2 RAM. As much as possible 800mhz CL5 or better timing (CL3 or CL4) or DDR3 1066 or 1333mhz CL5, anything higher is wasted as your processor fsb can't keep up.

Processor is simple either Q6600 or Q9450/Q9550 depending on your budget.

Graphics, I'd wait a few weeks. Plenty of affordable high performance cards coming out this month.

cyph0r

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

I know he said he want to build it today but lets be honest anything built today will be outdated instantly by Nehalem in Q4. AT LEAST thats what everyone speculating. Seriously would wait for the Nehalem to see what its all about.

If you were forced to build *Today* and future upgrades are "THE" criteria over all... Then an AM2 based system, and either hope/pray/headinthesand that AMD will build something to bring performance up to Intel's level or proclaim yourself satisfied since your game's performance is mostly GPU driven anyways.

Or

Wait a year for Nephalem

Or

Screw "Future Proofing" and simply buy/build the best that's available on your budget.

stan116

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Thev 790i Ultra is a very good choice i own one and also a 780i and neither has let me down yet. Yes the 790i takes DDR3 but prices have been on their way down i got 8Gbs of OCZ DDR3 1600MHz for under $700. Stay away from AMD they are ok for a low to mid end system but thats it. I am now starting a 3rd build with two GTX280s that will be released on June 17th. They have already proved that they are faster than AMDs latest card in Folding@home where the GTX280 proved to be at least 3 times faster then ATI. You can read about that at www.nordichardware.com I own a shop and also work as a reviewer for nordic. I would never buy from Alienware when you could build a much faster system yourself for less money. In the end the choice is yours to make, building it yourself is the way to go. I would also look into buying 1 or 2 VelociRaptors. I bought 4 of them and put one in each system leaving 2 for my GTX 280 build.

polarity

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2003
1. Buy a computer in a developed country.

2. Move to a country where you can't get any new software.

If you were lucky enough to get a CPU and GPU update released close together, and buy them straight away, chances are you would be able to get something twice as powerful within the year to as little as 6 months. Also being an early adopter you'd have to put up with poorer drivers for the GPU early on, and less stable steppings on the CPU that my affect overclocking performance.

Just buy a computer now and upgrade the thing as parts are released/you have the money.

Top end parts always keep their resale value better, as people will want them more for upgrades than midrange, but it's not an excuse to buy them at over inflated prices right after release.

Kaldor

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006

Pretty much spot on.

Intel is changing their chipset.

AMD is too slow at this point in time to be a valid contender for a long term PC.

ATI and Nvidia are both releasing new cards over the course of the next 2 months.

My bet is an Intel chipset with a good single slot video card matched to your monitors max resolution and 4 gigs of ram for less than $1k and upgrade later.

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Thanks for all your responses. It *does* seem like an awkward time to buy with AMD struggling and INTEL on the verge of a platform change. I"m not sure what I will do at this point.. most-likely buy a cheap and dirty intel upgrade to what I have.. then in a year or so do a "real" upgrade. Thanks again.