Recommendations and Critique on my New Computer Build

Dioxine101

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Hello everyone.
I have been searchig the boards and I have come to an objective about what I would Like to have as a system. I was wondering if some people can give me some advice on some questions I have and or suggest somethings that I maybe mistaken, (as I am a newbie).

Objective: looking to build a system that can retain it's High-mid range edge for 3 years.--Not High end range, but Higher Middle range. As such I do not need all the components now as I can upgrade things like the video cards to SLI or high end Video cards as the prices drop as the years moves on. So what is consider HIGH end now will be High Middle end in 1 year or so.
As the Objective is to be able to upgrade I am looking at the base bread and butter, Motherboard, memory, powersupply, fans, and Box.

So with the help of the forum I was looking at this:

MotherBoard:
EVGA nForce 790i Ultra SLI Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, eSATA, RAID
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3714951&CatId=3495

Reason: this motherbaord is able to support SLI, PCI -E 2.0, DDR3 and can do FSB of 1600MHz. Also it claims to be a damn good board for overclocking. So I was goign to buy a quad core mid range and overclock.

Also If I sit on the time, the 790's will become more mainstream and I can get it a better price. Maybe 3 years from now there will be dd4 or some kinda crazy triple channel for memories or something, but I think that this would still be a solid mid range board even a few years from now.

Memory:
OCZ SLI 2048MB PC16000 DDR3 2000MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB)
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3809181&CatId=3361

Reason: The company claims that these memory are tailored for these new 790 boards and has great overclocking abilities. Is this a gimmik? can I use cheaper stuff to get what I want?

Powersupply: Still do not know.

Reason: I am thinking If I eventually want to get the higher end cards like the 9800's, when the years passes, from what I read these babies suck juice. So I seen some people getting a 1000 watt and some sticking with 600w. I am still wondering with a overclocked box and some juice suckin cards what I can get for still a reasonable price. Also, since I am not well versed in PSU, I am thinking I may need a PSU with some more plugs as I will be having, Eventually, 2 video cards that need their own plugs. This is kinda foggy.

BOX: Still do not know.

Reason: I've been looking into different cases and still confused. I guess I need to look for a case that can fit everything in. Create a good enviroment to stick fans to cool down the overclock system, not thinking about liquid coolant as I am assuming it more costly and need some midrange engineering as not to screw it up. Also the box with everything in it needs to still be able to negotiate all the plugs attaching to places.
Also I am still confused with the case choice as with an overclocked machine, what best fan system would be used? example-- lots of smaller fans. 2 Huge fans and 1 meduim fans--sorry I am not sure the MM numbers. Again I be very Layman when it comes to this part of the system--- a case that can negotiate the heat and space of an overclocked system.

Any advice would help.

Thanks

akhilles

Splendid
Bad idea. 790i can cause data corruption on sata when overclocked. Go with the budget 780i with ddr2. You can max 780i out no problem.

Not gimmick. There's an SLI option in bios for ram. It's grayed out for non-sli ram. When it's on, the ram will be optimized. However, if you know overclocking, you don't need sli ram.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
The way thing are right now (new architecture looming from Intel by the end of the year) it might not be a good idea to go all mental and spend a small fortune on a new computer.

I recommend you limit your budget to about half of what you're looking to spend. I figure your first estimate was $2000 for a whole system

I recommend you go for something like this (newegg.com)
$220 Q6600 CPU
$38 XIGMATEK S1283 cooler
$130 GA-EP35-DS3R motherboard
$134 2x2GB Corsair DHX C4 DDR2 800MHz RAM
$110 WD6400AAKS 640GB HDD
$30 NEC AD-7203S DVD-RW
$85 Corsair VX 550W PSU
$100 Cooler Master RC-690 Case with shipping
Total around $850 without a graphics card and I didn't go cheap on anything, there's no rebates right now.
A good OCed GTS will cost you around $230.

In 3 weeks ATI will release the HD 4870 so I recommend you wait for it and buy then.