Question about backing up your data

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I'm pretty sure this question has been asked, but i can't seem to find a good website to explain to me clearly.

Currently, i have a WD 1TB external hard drive. And i want to download the Windows 7 RC. The website recommends you to back up all your data, but unfortunately with my limited knowledge about this stuff, i don't know how to =[

So what do i do? I'm basically transferring everything including the OS, games, music, documents, programs from my internal HDD to my external HD right?

jchan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
i bought this comp like 7 years ago off of the dell.com website ... and my mom and i don't recall ever gettin a disc =[

donpacific2k

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
If you don't have the original CDs, make an image of your hard drive using Ghost, Acronis, Clonezilla, or whatever your favorite disc imaging program is, before you start playing around with a new OS!!!!!! It will save you hours of trouble in the event something gets screwed up.

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
that is the serial number you will need if you ever have to reinstall windows, it will also tell you if you have xp pro or home. The next step if you can't find your windows disk is to find someone who has a dell with the same version of windows as you. Then you make a copy of the their disk using something like alcohol 120.