Strange Startup Problem

thesorrow312

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
my PC - evga 780i sli mobo, sli 9800gtx's 2x WD caviar SE16 HD's in raid 0 , vista home premium 64 bit

ok so im having a strange problem that jst happened today when i started my computer and have no clue how it arose.

when i startup usually the black screen with the memory test and it lists my parts ... press f_ for bios.. bla bla then my nvidia raid 0 check goes through.. and then my computer starts up

today my moniter not only didnt show those startup tests but pretty much a rainbow of colors started to run across my screen, starting small and then filling it.. but then my computer will start and work properly

i tried reinstalling nvidia's newest display drivers, no dice, but i have tried playing games and theirs no artifacs, no framerate drop, my computers fine, its just this bios thing

i also tried checkdisk and it didnt show either. is it like the onboard video is shot?

any idea's how to fix this?

thx

franchise

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
a 780i mobo wouldnt have onboard graphics the whole point of the 780 chipset is they want you to buy 3 video cards
what kind of monitor are you using crt/LCD DVI/VGA?
i believe the 9800gtx is able to run 3way sli and has 2 gold fingers on each circuit board, try checking that your SLI bridge is on the right set of fingers and that all of your monitor cables are tightened down, if nothing else works, just chalk it up to 64bit/vista bugs and deal with it, if all else fails upgrade your OS to windows XP

franchise

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
sorry forgot one thing, alot of bios are written in older 16 bit dos and 64 bit OS doesnt support legacy 16bit programs, see if there is a bios update for 64 bit