ASUS P5E Deluxe x48 or Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4?

dcatunlucky

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
I'm looking to get a solid board that I would be able to crossfire on and I've come to these two boards. My main concern is how well each will overclock and how good and easy their respective BIOS's are. I've had nothing but good experiences with Gigabyte BIOS's, but ASUS is a different story.

They both seem to have similar layouts, so that isn't much of a concern. I do like the ASUS' layout slightly more, but the BIOS/overclocking concern is a much larger priority.

So, does anyone here have any experience with either of these boards?

PCnut

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
i agree with the rampage formula it is a good board and overclocks easy. i have this board and just helped my brother build a PC using this board so i really like it.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
I've read too many horror stories right here on Toms about the Rampage, and for $300, you would have to be a idiot to spend that much on a mobo with a socket (775) thats at the end of its life.
The Gigabyte model perform and oc the same as the Asus board, but cost less and is more reliable. DS4 bios contain everything you need for oc, including loadline calibration. Asus bios has more extensive auto-oc option, but you should not use auto-oc to get a proper oc anyway.

For reference, current oc king is a p45 board by BioStar (yeah, you heard right).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138118

XAQSHNA

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
IVE HAD THE ASUS P5E DELUXE FOR ABOUT 6 MONTHS NOW AND HAVE AINTEL CORE2 DUO E8500 CPU,NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE AND OVERCLOCKING IS EASY AND GREAT,I FEEL WITH THIS MOBO AND CPU YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG.DEFINATELY GO FOR THE ASUS P5E DELUXE WITH THE INTEL E8500 CORE2 DUO,YOU WONT BE DISPLEASED IT WILL RUN ALL GAMES AND APPS AT TOP SPEEDS AND GIVE YOU NO HEADACHES WHATSOEVER.I HAVENT TOUCHED THE VCORE AND AM RUNNING @3.8GHZ ON AIR COOLING,IF YOU RAISE VCORE TO 1.4OR1.5 VOLTS ITS STILL STABLE@ 4.75GHZ ON AIR COOLING WITH THE THERMALTAKE BIG TYPHOON 2ND EDITION,ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT ITS A TOP MOBO AND CPU CONFIGURATION.