2)Core 2 Duo
3)8800 series graphics card

My current system is a Dell XPS 600 w/
2.8 gz Pentium D (dual core)
2 gigs ram
(2) 6800's in sli
19" crt monitor

I play guild wars, lotro, mythos, and rts's

Given my current setup, what do you think would be my best upgrade?

sepayne21

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
are you sure your mobo will support a core 2 duo? if it does, my vote would be for that, but for me, eye candy is just a bonus... high fps at low eye candy is better IMO. Some people perfer the better eye candy.

mrmez

Splendid
22" monitor will only make fps worse, so rule that out.
Depending of ur system a C2D chip may require new mobo, ram, psu. U can OC the D series quite well (as long as u can keep it cool).
That leaves a new xgf card. If u do a lot of gaming (which i assume u do given u run sli) id say an 8800GT would be your best bet.

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
If your 19" is a 4:3 then going to a 22" wide screen won't really do too much for you (measure the viewable area and compare). As for the rest are you really having any bottlenecks? If so upgrade that particular component. Personally I loathe spending money upgrading old components, IMO I would get a quad and a 8800GT. Work out what you might get for the old computer and maybe with a small loan might be able to get a new machine.

Definelty buy a new GPU. Even an 8800GT will just spank the SLI setup you have now. For $300 I would pick up 2 -9600GT's and SLI them.
As for the CPU, I seriously doubt that a core duo can be installed into your rig. Before you think about that, call Dell and see what they say.
You have a decent monitor now.