Wireless N adapter to wireless G router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolkid9998

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hi all,

I don't know very much about networking so sorry if this isa noob question ;D Can a wireless N usb adapter connect to a wireless G router?

I already have a wireless g linksys router(wrt54g2) and i have a wireless g usb adapter(belkin).

but if i can get increased internet connection performance while playing online games with a wireless N adapter, could i get a wireless N adapter?

first, would it be compatible with a wireless g router?

and second, if so, would i most likely see better performance with internet connection while playing multiplayer games? or would it not be worth it if i dont also have a wireless N router as well? thanks.

G

N adapter should work with G router but you probably won't gain any speed.

Both ends need to be N, I think -- and preferably from the same brand.

Anon1313

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
You won't gain any internet gaming improvement by obtaining a wireless N adapter. A Wireless N adapter WILL work with a wireless G router though, but will work at G speeds.

Wireless G Standard Speed = 54Mb/s (IEEE 802.11 Specifications)
Wireless N Standard Speed = 144Mb/s (IEEE 802.11 Specifications)

So the Wireless N Adapter is capable of the above speed, but when it connects to the Wireless G Router, it will be throttled to the maximum G standard speed (54MB/s).

The same holds true to your internet connection. So say for example you have the following...

Wireless N Adapter (capable speed = 144Mb/s)
Wireless G Router (capable speed = 54Mb/s)
Internet Provider (capable speed = 10Mb/s)

Your online gaming environment will be at best 10Mb/s as your Internet Provider throttles your speed to that limit even though you have hardware capable of providing higher speeds.

Your connection to the router will be 54Mb/s but beyond your router (Internet) you are at the mercy of your Internet Providers designated speed of 10MB/s.

This example holds true to any networked environment

Hope this helps.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
what about distance? i know G router is 100 while N is 300 i believe.... connecting N adapter to G router would it still have limitations? maybe limited on sending from G but not limited sending from N??

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
i hate foreign customer support.... this guy talked in circles and contradicted himself...

Somashekar R S: Hi, my name is Somashekar R S. How may I help you?
Zao Zao: if i buy a 802.11n network adapter and plan on conecting it to a 802.11g router will i see an increase in any preformance over a 802.11g adapter? (ie range or connectivity, i realize the speed will be limited to that of the 802.11g)
Somashekar R S: Yes.
Zao Zao:
what kind of preformance gain would i see?
Somashekar R S: Well, you would not be able to get the same speed as you getting on other computers.
Somashekar R S: The standard transmission rate- 150Mbps and 300Mbps - is the physical data rate. Actual date throughput will be lower.
Zao Zao:
transmission rate would be still limited to the g 54mbps right? but what about increased range or connectivity or would that also be limited because i am connecting to a g network
Somashekar R S: Yes.

vibe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
As Anon said, you need N at both sides to get any improvment, inculing range.

imagin 2 people at either end of the road, they both need to hear and be heard by each other to communicate, if one can hear the other but cant talk loud enough to talk back, they wont be able to talk to each other.

rhaseley

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
Wireless N will work with G, however remember this, your wireless network will only be as fast as your slowest adapter connected to it. So therefor if you are connected to N at 144Mb/s and someone connects with a Wireless G Router at 54Mb/s then all computers on your network will slow to 54b/s to accommodate the slower system.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Wireless G standard is 54Mbps and Wireless N 300Mbps (certified not draft)! These are speeds that wou will reach on your internal network only! Changing your adapter will not give you any more speed over the internet but may be slightly better in your home. This is due to the improved range offered by wireless N. The improvement would be alot better if you changed your router to N, it would increase your internal bandwidth and alow more devices to connect without bottlenecking. The cost of a wireless N router is not too great, you could probably pick one up for 40-50$.

noonin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2005
Think lowest common denominator...the slowest component bottleneck in your chain is your speed. If you're driving home on the freeway and you encounter an accident that blocks two lanes, suddenly everyone has to slow down to squeeze into a narrower road. BTW, you could always try asking your ISP for a new router. I have Comcast and simply asked them if they could send me a free router, and they actually sent me a Netgear N router, no charge but shipping. That was a couple years ago, so I don't know if they still do that. I just hooked up a new (well, actually it's really-old-but-free) laptop via a new TP-Link N adapter...$19.00 and came with a free remote stand. Works great :wahoo:

Status
Not open for further replies.