[CPU needs a home] please help me pick a MOBO

redcrab

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Ok, yet another newbie trying to navigate the incredible number of configuration options that exist for building a gaming rig. My situation is this;

I want to build a respectable gaming machine.
I have (arriving soon) an intel E8400 CPU.
I prefer nvidia based graphic cards to ATI and have currently targeted a 8800GT 512MB. The articles i've read all seem to give the nod to nvidia over their ATI equivalent.
I intend to have 4GB of RAM.
I intend to have 32-bit Vista OS but I could be talked into 64-bit OS.
I have read that motherboards with nvidia based chipsets occasionally have problems not found on motherboards with intel chipsets.
My understanding is that PCIe 2.0 is better/faster than 1.0 considering that the GPU is a 8800GT.

It looks like motherboards with Intel P35 chipsets are all PCIe 1.0 which is a downer because I want to achieve max utility of the graphics card. Also, motherboards with Intel X38 chipsets are all set for ATI crossfire which doesn't really pair well with my GPU choice. Lastly, the motherboards with nvidia based chipsets have suspect reputations.

So, have I made any bad assumptions?

And, more importantly, what motherboard would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input.

akhilles

Splendid
You're correct about P35 with PCI-E 1.0. The question is whether 2.0 will boost performance across the board.

I recommend 780i with DDR2 support. nvidia admitted to 790i causing data corruption on SATA when overclocked.

robertito

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
I'd go for a Gigabyte P35-DS3L as long as you don't want to SLI. Its a really solid board and is good for OCing.

2.0 doesn't really boost performance more than 1-2%. Also a 32bit OS won't use full 4gigs of RAM, it uses only 3.5 (I think) Just something to consider.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
GA-P35-DS3L is a great choice (but it only has 4 SATA ports).
GA-EP35-DS3R would also fit perfectly if you need more HDD options.

For today's graphic cards PCI-E v2.0 offers no advantage (but it's futureproof).

redcrab

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Thanks for the tips.

I will definitely consider the P35 in light of what you mentioned about the PCI-E v2.0.