Intel D955XBK mobo and q6600 processor?

tenka1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I'm trying to upgrade a machine i bought a few years ago. The motherboard is and Intel d955xbk and I would like to upgrade the processor to the Intel Q6600 quad core processor because I do 3d and video graphics for a living.

I was told at the store this combination would work, so I've installed the processor and no dice. I don't even get up to the BIOS screen, and I have flashed the BIOS with the most recent version from Intel.

First, does this combination actually work and second is there something I need to change for this to work correctly?

Thanks for any help.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Whoever told you that the 955DX supports Quad core processor should learn his/her facts. If they based their recommendation on the fact that both have 775 socket, they seriously should never give advice again.

Anyway, zpyrd is correct. The 955DX board is not compatible with any of the Core 2 processors. You will need to find a new motherboard that does support Core 2 Duo/Quads for the Q6600 to work.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
yeah the 955 is not enough, you need a 975, and on top of that u need a revision higher than 303 i think for c2d, for c2q u might even need a higher revision. however you can bypass all that simply by getting a 975xklr2, i don't remember the exact model number, but its essentially the remake of the 975 to support c2d and c2q, k?

If you want exact information just go to the intel website, they have all the chipset information there...