I cant buy any luck....

xplicid001

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
this is my second post asking and hoping for your guys' help.
the first : http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250575-31-please-troubleshoot

heres my system: bought about 2 weeks ago
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775
MSI NX8800GTS 512M OC GeForce 8800GTS
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply - Retail

the day after i bought the parts i put it all together and thats when i ran into my first problem. I would hit the power button and absolutely nothing would happen. so i guessed powersupply

so today, 2 weeks later, i get the replacement power supply. Well, this psu works just fine, but as i start the computer, i hear a loud long beep. its not like beep beep beep, its beeeeeeeeeeee......P(until i shut it up). There is nothing displayed on the monitor while the conputer is on.

i spent a good 30 seconds letting it beep to try and asses the problem(s). I could not find a problem but i did get some useful information:

1. The ram is working, or at least lights up, and does a light show pattern when first turned on.
2. ALL fans are running: case fans, cpu fan, and video card fan.
3. all cords and cables are clear of the cpu or ne other fan
4. The cpu fan is properly mounted.
5. doubt the cpu is overheating as its starts immediately on start up, and thermal paste was proper administered.

Ive narrowed it down to 2 parts do to the nature of the beeping: A) cpu B) mobo but i dont kno for sure.

any suggestions? any similar problems? any ideas?

im getting desperate, and i really do appreciate all advice no matter how little it may seem.

I thank you in advance for reading this length posed and for your helpful replies.

akhilles

Splendid
Probably the ram settings. Clear cmos, try each stick of ram in each of the slots, once the pc posts, up the vdimm to 2.1v. Look up your mobo manual for how. You can d/l their pdf manual. Oh oh oh, it's Gigabyte. So the default vdimm is 1.8v. You change it to +0.3v (1.8 + 0.3 = 2.1v).