Truely Quad Core Intel CPUs - Are They Available?

Bulldog17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
If I recall correctly, the first generation of quad core CPUs from Intel were actually two dual core CPUs joined together. That was a while ago, and I'm afraid I haven't been keeping up with the latest developments. Are 'true' quad core CPUs now available from Intel? If so, how do I identify such a CPU (something in the name or model number?)

If not, will these CPUs be appearing in consumer PCs the near future?

Thanks for your help.
:sol:

Yeah, "TRUE" Quads will be expensive because of higher probably of fabrication errors in which one or more cores are produced below specs.

Built into the price of all electronic compoents is the recovery costs of components that fail to meet specification and cannot be sold. Thus, the production cost for each viable component (the CPU in this case) is increased, which in turn increases the sale price.

nman729

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
what does it matter, as long as it has 4 cores, then its the same. obviously the "true quads"(phenom) cant even come close to the double cheeseburger design of intel.

Bulldog17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
I'm not a regular here so I don't know anything about Nehalem or thunderman. I don't even know what a "double cheeseberger" means with respect to CPU design.

Nonetheless, I believe I have my answer: For the foreseeable future, whenever Intel calls one of its consumer CPUs "quad core" what they mean is two dual core CPUs joined together.

Thanks. :hello:

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

Actually no you dont have your answer. The foreseeable future is Nehlam and that is what one may call a true quad core. So, in effect you had the answer, but misinterpreted it. Alas, nehlam is native quad core (true). Just to clear things up. I would expect them to be reasonably priced in mid to late 2009, but could be wrong. Hope this helps!

Best,

3Ball

I agree with nman. What difference does it make? Not saying it doesn't, necessarily, but does it? I can think of some things that might differ, but not matter, for all practical intents and purposes (e.g. heat, performance /watt, bandwidth constraints).

HyperBladeST

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Thread like this always makes me lmao.

"True" Quad-core lol ... just like if one of the core wasn't truly there. Doesn't benchmarks show that he's very present and doing his job ?

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007

lol that was exactly what i was thinking! i was HOPING it'll be a thunderman post so he can make fun of the core2cheeseburgers but sadly i was disappointed... -sad- maybe thunderman is busy on his new Core2Qua....i mean, AMD 9850 B.E setup :D

lameness

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
My car isnt a true 4X4 its really just two, two wheel drive axles put together in one car.......err... that makes it 4 wheel drive no?

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
AMD are the only company currently offering a Native Quad Core, Intel use a Double cheeseburger method of sticking two Dual Cores Together. There is a big difference because not only does the Phenom have an Onboard Memory controller....The Cores are all on one die. What does this matter you may say? The Intel will not be able to use those Four cores to their full potential because of the Bandwidth Limitations. Multi-core software is not in abundance yet...The Phenom's design will shine when the Mult-tasking workload gets heavier. AMD have also pleased the overclockers by introducing the 9850 Black edition...there's just not any reason to buy Intel fake Quads. Intel themselves realize that their current Quads have limitations....why else would they be introducing Nehalem? Nehalem is too little to late though and lets not forget AMD will be moving onto the 45nm which will make the new Phenoms more energy efficient and Performance should increase dramatically.

If you want a Quad then buy a Phenom....It's a fantastic CPU and has been applauded by the Tech community.

AMD4Life!!

Bulldog17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
Nehalem...yes, now I remember.

From Tom's Hardware:

"Parallel Processing, Part 1: CPU Cores" [excerpted]
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING,1700-3.html

"The Core 2 Quad Q6700 is a 2.66 GHz quad core processor, using two Core 2 Duo dies inside...While there are many reasons to opt for a dual core processor, the quad cores do not yet always live up to their full potential. One reason is limited thread-optimizations of software, while others have to do with the architecture. Though AMD likes to criticize Intel’s approach of putting two dual core dies into a single processor as not "true" quad core, the concept works well for Intel on the business side of things, and it very well delivers four-core performance...On the performance side, though, there can be bottlenecks - the two dies communicate via the system interface, and it’s difficult to exercise control over all individual cores when multiple pieces of silicon are present...True quad core concepts put four cores and their cache memories onto a single die. The important thing is to have a shared, unified cache...Intel will follow the same path, but not before the introduction of its 2008 Nehalem architecture."

Enjoy your cheeseburgers.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
amd has a vastly superior architecture for their quad cores. sure, they don't perform as well as intel, they overheat, and the black edition 'overclocker' can't overclock. but if you ignore that, they are vastly superior

Bulldog17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
I feel like my participation in this thread is drawing to a close, so...

Thank you thunderman. I appreciate the information.

What I was looking for was information - didn't mean to start any 4-versus-2 core or AMD-versus-Intel arguments.

Now I know what a cheeseburger CPU is, lol.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
:lol: :lol: :lol:

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
You call that information? Seriously, no need to thank him.

Quad core, glued dual core,... no difference ATM. AMD's monolithic core, in spite of any theoretical advantages, has thusfar provided ZERO benefit to the end user. Don't let this this guide your decision making at this time.

Understand that large software applications typically have a development life cycle of 1.5 to 2 years. It will be some time before Multi-core software becomes widely available, and by then both Intel and AMD's current offerings will be a distant memory.

And maybe TC can chime in with some of his suggested AMD product names. ;)

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
The new Intel processors are a great design for PC's... the only weakness they have is that they don't scale... which makes sense since Intel has until recently been a single processor company (except for the Itanium which is a dog).

AMD has been thoroughly beaten down in the PC performance category since the Core Duo came out... BUT the Opteron is a ground up multiprocessor competent architecture. They scale a TON better than Intel (though Intel has shown improvements on that front)... in general because the architecture is better for multiprocessing than the Intel Core Duo architecture.

That means if you're building a 1024 processor supercomputer... you're probably going to go with AMD - because in that design space it IS the better processor.

What exactly does that mean for the '8 or fewer' processor masses like us? NOTHING... we're going to be buying Intel because in our design space they're a lot better than anything AMD has on the market.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Uh, it's a double cheeseburger. :lol: My double cheeseburger Q6600 with the "free" OC to 3.0 does better than the Phenom and it is technically an old chip.

I do hope AMD doesn't go belly up though.

DeafB4Dishonor

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

The phenom is in no way vastly superior to the Core processors, and I dont even like Intel. The true quad core concept is the more advanced technology, but it hasnt been executed well, and just fails.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007

Hey thundie! how's the job at AMD coming along?