My experience purchasing a Qualia 006

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
August 12, 2005 2:31:57 AM

Hi,

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I purchased a Qualia 006 a week ago.
I paid full retail for it. I purchased it from Magnolia in Silverdale, WA.
The sales guy told me it would be delivered by Sony techs, with "white
glove" service. Two guys show ed up. They had never seen the set
before. Watching them carry it through our home was spookey. One
was turning red and started yelling that he was dropping it. I had to
run over and help.

I did not have a HDMI cable and the delivery guys did not have one
either. They left, not even a kiss goodby. No mention of free bulb
replacement.

I still don't have an HDMI cable, so all I've seen is Dish Network's
HD via component inputs. I'm just using the factory "standard" or
"pro" settings, depending on what I'm watching.

I have to say that the images are so much better than I thought would
be possible. The set is so amazing, I quickly got over a serious case
of buyer's remorse.

-
RZ
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:35:54 PM

I doubt that you will see any difference at all in your video between
component and HDMI cables. Your delivery experience was about the same as
mine have been over the years. Two lessons: salespeople are liars who will
promise anything to make a sale and deliveries are usually farmed out to
delivery companies whose employees just do the minimum.

My one delivery exception occurred when I bought a TV from a small
appliance store. The salesmen and a helper delivered it in the salesman's
pickup truck and took a lot of time to get it set up correctly. Small
retailer might be the only way to have a shot at "white glove" delivery.

mack
austin

<r> wrote in message news:11fod2b6fdg03ae@news.supernews.com...
> Hi,
>
> As I mentioned in an earlier post, I purchased a Qualia 006 a week ago.
> I paid full retail for it. I purchased it from Magnolia in Silverdale,
> WA.
> The sales guy told me it would be delivered by Sony techs, with "white
> glove" service. Two guys show ed up. They had never seen the set
> before. Watching them carry it through our home was spookey. One
> was turning red and started yelling that he was dropping it. I had to
> run over and help.
>
> I did not have a HDMI cable and the delivery guys did not have one
> either. They left, not even a kiss goodby. No mention of free bulb
> replacement.
>
> I still don't have an HDMI cable, so all I've seen is Dish Network's
> HD via component inputs. I'm just using the factory "standard" or
> "pro" settings, depending on what I'm watching.
>
> I have to say that the images are so much better than I thought would
> be possible. The set is so amazing, I quickly got over a serious case
> of buyer's remorse.
>
> -
> RZ

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:35:55 PM

Mack McKinnon (McKinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I doubt that you will see any difference at all in your video between
> component and HDMI cables. Your delivery experience was about the same as
> mine have been over the years. Two lessons: salespeople are liars who will
> promise anything to make a sale and deliveries are usually farmed out to
> delivery companies whose employees just do the minimum.
>
> My one delivery exception occurred when I bought a TV from a small
> appliance store. The salesmen and a helper delivered it in the salesman's
> pickup truck and took a lot of time to get it set up correctly. Small
> retailer might be the only way to have a shot at "white glove" delivery.

I bought my 38" RCA direct-view set online, and the delivery guy helped me
set it up on the stand as part of the "white glove" service. That was a
huge deal, as the set weighs nearly 250 pounds, and the stand is 33" high.
It really does depend on the person doing the delivery. Some will do the
job well, and some won't.

--
Jeff Rife | "What's goin' on down here?"
!