Sign in with
Your question

Help with slow network.

Last response: in Networking
December 2, 2008 10:51:52 PM

Good Evening,

I am here today in hopes that someone might be able to guide me in the correct direction. I am having slow networking issues. I seem to have a good connection when it comes to smaller things. Web pages load quickly, downloads move fairly quickly, and multiplayer games usually work alright in specific instances, i.e. co-op, small 5 man games, things that don't require AS much connection. Yet once I get into a multiplayer game of lets say, Call of Duty: World at War, my connection is horrible. I am lucky to get 2 out of 4 latency bars. It's so bad to the point that I will shoot at someone and die, then see the kill cam, and it looks like I just ran out into the open screaming to be killed.

For a little background, this happens with my router or directly connected to my modem. I have noticed that other people, who I assume live in my apartment complex, have been trying to access my public file folder. I don't allow these people to access my files and even turned sharing off as a hopeful preventative. My only assumption can be that it is almost as if my connection is being shared/networked with other people in my complex.

Any ideas, tips, advice, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

EDIT: To my discovery I found out that my ISP splits a T1 line to divvy out bandwidth to residences at my complex. This would probably be why, eh?

More about : slow network

December 3, 2008 4:55:57 AM

Use a download speed program to check your conection speed, just google it you'll find plenty.

check your game manuls to see if they need ports opening, what firewalls are you using?

does the game improve if you bypass your rooter?
December 3, 2008 9:52:49 AM

most likely the sharing a t1 line...get dsl
!