Limping along a dying x1900xt.

Plyro109

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
My x1900xt 256MB is dying, and has been for a while. Temps are 40c Idle, and 67c Load.

I've replaced the GPU cooler, as the stock one wasn't able to keep it from artifacting even underclocked, but now (after about four months with the new cooler) It's artifacting again, and sofar I've been able to stave it off so far by lowering the core clock speed down from 625Mhz to 585Mhz. (There is no issue with the memory on the card.) Lately though, to keep it stable at any speed, I had to bump up the voltage on the core. (And that's not working anymore)

Starting yesterday, I started getting BSODs in XP and Vista, with Ubuntu just freezing, and it's being reported as a video hardware issue. This usually happens within 5-10 minutes of 3D, but ocassionaly it just crashes during 2D, no matter the OS.

I plan on replacing the card within about three weeks. (I'm waiting to see how the 48**'s do).

So, to anyone out there, I request help!

Any ideas on how to get this card back to stable operation for just a few weeks?

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
the 4870 card comes out the last week of june , that's a month and a half away. i doubt you can keep the card alive until then. i would definitely lower the gpu and memory speeds as much as you can. you don't need high frequency to run 2d. my hd 3870 downclocks to mhz in 2d mode to save power. it's the only thing that i can think of. your temps seem fine.

Plyro109

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Connect3D's American Division, the company that made the card, when out of buisness about eight months after I bought the card, so no support there, not to mention it's past the 1-year warrenty. :/

Also, I've lowered the 2D clocks enough that it's sort of stable in either XP or Vista (325 Core, 450 Memory), but it still randomly crashes every couple of hours. It seems to do pretty well in Ubuntu, though, even at stock for 2D. (Maybe just less 3D desktop effects?)

And everything I've heard says that the GDDR3 version of the 48**s come out at the end of May. Though I've heard the GDDR5 versions are coming out later in July, and I can't wait /that/ long. xD

well those temps are great for that card. It looks like bad luck and a failing card.

Fan failure caught after hours of games. No artifacts. Lucky...
x1900fe0.gif

Plyro109

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
WOOT! :D

I got it to run stable at 450Mhz core and 550Mhz memory, with 1.175v on the core. Seems to even work after some exstensive testing in 3D!. Turns out my previous clock changes wern't taking, so it was still running at stock speeds, thus, crashing.

Now, to see how long it'll last at such settings....

Edit: Forgot reason for higher speeds than above

What are you using to OC? did you try running it with just the ATI Catalyst drivers? Some of those OC apps keep the card in 3d mode 24/7 and don't allow it to throttle down to 2d speeds. I've heard the ATI x1900 series has issues with memory going bad after a while. I had a x1900xtx and had not issues but I've heard talk.

Were you looking at a new card to replace it?

Plyro109

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
You mean UC? xD
I'm using ATI Tools, as just the basic drivers tries to run it at stock speeds, and Overdrive doesn't seem to let me clock it down, thus, failure. :/

ATI Tools is to be able to do 3D/2D detection, and during 2D, I have the card clock down even further, to about 250/350, which is why my idle temps are decent. xD

Oh, and my memory seems fine, actually. I'll keep pushing it back up slowly, as I had it to 850mhz without problems about two weeks ago. It's always been the core that's been flakey.

I also have been looking for something around 8800GTX-level speeds, as I've been able to borrow a 9600GT, 8800GT, and 8800GTX from a friend, and the GTX was the only that wasn't underwhelming in performance compared to what I have. But I also /really/ like AVIVO, because I don't need a second card for video capture.

Edit: Badly phrased, fixed + another paragraph + more added at end.