Sign in with
Your question

New PC Build - Overheating?!? Need Help

Last response: in CPUs
June 3, 2008 7:50:59 PM

Hey guys I just recently bought a new pc about a week ago and I'm not sure but it seems to be really hot possibly overheating. I'm a novice when it comes to this kind of stuff so please bare with me. I did not put together this pc myself, I had the tech guys at the store I got it from put it together for me. Also computer is not overclocked. I have the latest drivers/updates for everything.

PC Specs:
Clocked @ 2.67ghz
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700
Motherboard: Asus P5N-T Deluxe
Memory: 2 x 1gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 PC2-6400+
Video Card: EVGA e-GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper TX X2
Case: Antec Sonata 3 w/ 500w PSU
Additional: 2 x Sata HD & 1 x Sata Optical Drive

Running on Windows XP Pro SP3

Screenshots of temperatures:
Using Speed Fan & Coretemp, these are the temps @ Idle.

Additional Screens:

Temperatures @ Load:

I got these temperatures using Prime95 Torture Test:
Using the Small FFTs (maximum FPU stress, data fits in L2 cache, RAM not tested much) option for 1min.

To me it seems that just under 50°C Idle & almost breaking 70°C @ load is quite high.
Ambient temperature is around 26-27°C.

Is my computer overheating or is this normal?
Also if it is overheating, is there anything I can do myself?
Would getting a better PSU reduce temperatures?
I'm trying to avoid lugging my system back to the shop to get it checked.

I'll greatly appreciate any help/feedback anyone has.

Thanks.

More about : build overheating

June 3, 2008 8:12:26 PM

try to reseat your heatsink.maybe its not sitting on it properly.
June 3, 2008 8:13:54 PM

but your ambient temp is very high anyway.maybe thats why its so hot.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2008 9:23:33 PM

CPU temps look too high. Have you tried re-seating the HSF?

PS: Read CompuTronix's guide on C2D temps.
June 3, 2008 9:34:19 PM

I haven't tried to reseat the HSF yet.
I need to go buy some thermal paste first.

I looked at CompuTronix's guide brielfy.
I didn't really understand it completely, but looking at the scale before, my temps are hot.
Also, his guide has been deleted and its no longer available. :( 
June 3, 2008 10:58:09 PM

evilsanity said:
I haven't tried to reseat the HSF yet.
I need to go buy some thermal paste first.

I looked at CompuTronix's guide brielfy.
I didn't really understand it completely, but looking at the scale before, my temps are hot.
Also, his guide has been deleted and its no longer available. :( 

Forget SpeedFan and the calibration process, get Real Temp 2.6 it willgive you accurate temps equal to SpeedFan after calibration
Mostly you'll get your temps less 10 degrees which is still high
It should idle at 37 Max and under load 47 Max without OC
I noticed your HD temps are very high also 39-40, they should be 28 with good air flow in your case
Click on Configure in SpeedFan and check your HD temps
You can also use HWMonitor to see your HD temps
If it is true 39-40 run your computer with both sides of case opened and see if temps will drop
99% air flow is not good inside your case and you need more and good quality fans
You may need a good HS such as TRUE and TIM such as OCZ Freeze Extreme
June 3, 2008 11:02:26 PM

just go into speedfan setting to offset the temp by -15C
June 3, 2008 11:02:29 PM

kad said:
Forget SpeedFan and the calibration process, get Real Temp 2.6 it willgive you accurate temps equal to SpeedFan after calibration
Mostly you'll get your temps less 10 degrees which is still high
It should idle at 37 Max and under load 47 Max without OC
I noticed your HD temps are very high also 39-40, they should be 28 with good air flow in your case
Click on Configure in SpeedFan and check your HD temps
You can also use HWMonitor to see your HD temps
If it is true 39-40 run your computer with both sides of case opened and see if temps will drop
99% air flow is not good inside your case and you need more and good quality fans
You may need a good HS such as TRUE and TIM such as OCZ Freeze Extreme

Thanks for the info, I'll try that.

Edit:
Used Real Temp 2.6, idling at 42/43°C.
I read that ambient temp should be around 22°C. Mine is at 26/27°C. Maybe thats why?
HWMonitor shows my HD temps at 39°C. (With both sides of my case on.)
With that in mind, it seems like my case only 1 side of my case will open.
If the temps drop, I guess I have bad air flow and I need better fans?
June 4, 2008 2:46:26 AM

Ok I opened 1 side of my case seeing that the other side won't open for some reason.
I looked at the temperatures on Real Temp 2.60 and my core temperatures are around 38/39°C at idle & 56/57°C on load.
So that doesn't seem too bad compared to before. SpeedFan says my cpu temp is around 31/32°C at idle.
I've been reading some stuff and cpu temp should idle around 5° above ambient temp and core temps around 5°C above cpu.
Looking at my ambient temp is 27°C(I don't know why my room is so warm), could that be why its hot?
Also my HD temps are still at 40°C with the side of my case open.

Since it seems like an airflow issue, should I get a better HS?
Also, any ideas on how I can lower the temperatures on my HD?
Will a better case fan/psu help?

Sorry for the many questions, appreciate any advice/input any has.

Thanks.
June 4, 2008 11:18:45 AM

I have a coolmaster 590 case and it has two 120mm in front along with 2 40mm in one of the drive bays. It has a 92mm in the same 5.25 drive bay on the other side helping pulling air from the two 40mm. It has 120mm on the side, one 120 mm on the back, one 120mm on the top, all sucking out hot air. One 120 mm on the top toward the front, right over the ram putting cool air in. I had a Rosewill 92mm 6 pipe heat sink on the quad phenom 9850e and it never hit above 45c at full load with room temps at 25C . I have since put together a custom water cooling rig and I am Idling at 27C and never hit over 38C at full load.

My advice is get some 120mm pulling air in from the front, ones good but two is way better. I am not sure what your case has but the front fans really help getting cool air to your HD and ther rest of your system. Coolmaster 590 case is only $80 with shipping from the egg, and it can take up to like 3 120mm fans and 6 140mm fans. It will keep your rig way cooler! Best $80 bucks I've ever spent.
June 4, 2008 3:09:55 PM

the 40mm must be noisy as hell and dont pull much air.right?
June 5, 2008 1:58:40 AM

No there not that bad at all. They are Styrins and really are pretty silent compared to the rest of my fans. They were 24.95 for the insert off the egg. They pull a decent amount of air not like a 120mm, though but every little bit counts right?
June 5, 2008 3:20:42 AM

Changed a few settings and increase my case fan speed and gpu fan speed.
Its loud as hell now but air flow seems to be abit better.

Idle:
Cpu Temp: 32/33°C
Core Temps: 40°C
GPU Temp: 57/58°C
HDD Temps: 35°C
Ambient Temp: 26/27°C

Load:
Cpu Temp: 45°C
Core Temps: 53°C
GPU Temp: 77°C
HDD Temps: 36°C

Are these temps still too high?
I'm thinking come summer the temps will rise abit.
Shop told me to bring the comp in and they'll add a front fan for better airflow and replace the stock case fan with a better one.
I asked if I could change the case and it depends if the temps are still really high after they install fans.

I'm thinking if its still too warm, I'm thinking of getting an Antec Nine Hundred + Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W PSU.
The price tag for those 2 are a tad big pricey though.

So what does everything think?
June 5, 2008 3:26:35 AM

the temp looks alright for your ambient.but 40mm can never compete with 120mm fan no matter how fast they spin.even if they feel cooler but the amount of air move being move around will not be as well.you shop sounds nice.but do they charge you though?if they do then they aare nasty!!!
June 5, 2008 3:40:16 AM

iluvgillgill said:
the temp looks alright for your ambient.but 40mm can never compete with 120mm fan no matter how fast they spin.even if they feel cooler but the amount of air move being move around will not be as well.you shop sounds nice.but do they charge you though?if they do then they aare nasty!!!

For the fans, I don't think so.
Hopefully that'll lower the temp abit more. as well.

As for the case, if I need a new case, I'll have to pay at least the difference in price for the case/psu.
June 5, 2008 3:47:18 AM

then its a good deal.trust me on the fan.if not then why manufacturers came out with so many 120mm and now moving into 140mm.just read the CFM value and you will understand.
!