New MOBO please help me decide...

slayeron444

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
So I am building a new rig. I am really stuck on which MOBO I should go with.... I am pretty set on everything else I want. I am getting an E8500, 8800GTS G92, and I also would like it to have the ability to do SLI, because I plan on buying another 8800GTS G92 in a couple of months. Anyone got a good MOBO that would fit these specs?

slayeron444

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008

I understand that it won't be running at 1066MHz. Is it possible to sometime down the road purchase say 2gb (2 dim) of 1066MHz ram? Would they be compatable with my old 800MHz? or would that just mess things up?

I'd just get 2x2GB of DDR2-800 now and same thing again later if needed. Prices are low enough. You're taking a risk by mixing brands of RAM.

Raidmax is not a good brand for PSUs. I'd get a Corsair 750TX from newegg.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Adding 1066Mhz RAM to your already existing 800Mhz RAM will work, but it'll just cause your 1066Mhz RAM to be downclocked to 800Mhz, unless you overclock your 800Mhz RAM. Simply put, you can mix and match speeds, but all your RAM will run at the speed of the slowest RAM.

slayeron444

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008

just curious as to why you are not a fan of raidmax.

I had a Raidmax once and it worked, a bit noisy but not horrible. Of course, I was in school at the time and the budget was tight. Plus I didn't know better, TBH :)

The thing is, some PSUs are better than others. Since you are getting an E8500, I'm assuming you are willing to pay more for quality. Here's a list that may help you decide:
http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings

Raidmax appears there as tier 5 (worst). Corsair is in tier 2, but that particular 750TX model is newer than the list and it probably deserves to be listed under tier 1. You could also look at the Silencer 750W if you want, $125, tier 1.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341011

halcyon

Splendid

I really depends on the motherboard/bios. You can mix/match RAM brands but doing so is risky because of voltages and CAS. So its not that it flat-out won't work just that it has less of a chance of working then if they're they same RAM. Heck, I've had Corsair DDR2-800 Dominators not be compatible with Corsair DDR2-800 XMS2 DHX until I ran both of them way under spec, even when matching voltage and CAS.

If you just feel you MUST mix/match you want a motherboard that allows for setting RAM voltages and CAS (i.e., I wouldn't try to mix DD2-800 with CL5 with DDR2-800 CL4 on a typical DELL motherboard...might work...might not). The question is why bother to mix-n-match, why not just buy the same RAM now. Even if you have to flat-out replace some of it and have spares...DDR2 costs are extremely low now.

slayeron444

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
ok thanks for all the help guys. I think I am set on my new rig :)
In case you are interested here are the specs.

Case: Coolmaster centurion 532
MOBO: I am going to go with the EVGA 123
CPU: E8500 (will most likely OC)
RAM: 4 gigs of Corsair XMS2 (yes it is 800MHz but I already have it) I will also most likely be getting another 4 gigs of the same stuff within a couple months.
Video: 8800 GTS G92 KO will be getting another within a couple months, GO GO SLI
HD: WD caviar 640gb 7200 rpm
I am also getting a TV Tuner... AverMedia card.

I will most likely be putting in my order in 2 weeks as soon as I get paid! My 24'' monitor can't wait to be played with!

halcyon

Splendid
Looks good, but even though that case is popular and economical you may want to spend just a little more and get the RC690. I think you'd find working in the 690 better and appreciate the 12CM fan up front (quieter for the same CFM) as opposed to the 8CM fan.

Definitely get the RC-690. When you add the second card, maybe add some more case fans too.

Take a good look at the layout of that MB. If you use two 8800GTS cards, I think only one of the 3 PCI slots remains available. You will need it for the tuner. If you ever want a sound card or modem or second tuner or whatever, it will be a problem.

Possible solutions:
- single slot cards (8800GT).
- single slot cards (HD 4850) and switch the MB to a GA-X48-DS4 or aBit IX38 QuadGT or Asus P5E X48

The HD 4850 Crossfire solution will be more powerful, but the motherboard will cost more.

slayeron444

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
the tuner I am looking at is a PCI Express 1
So it is on the other side of the video cards.
But yes, the 2 PCI slots will be covered by my video cards, which leaves one free PCI slot... which is OK with me. I don't really have the need for a sound card or a modem.

OK, that signature of yours will get me in trouble. :lol: :lol: I was p#$%@ off because it was raining when I wrote that and I didn't mean to be so brutal :)

Yeah, onboard is good these days, I think. I have an X-Fi XtremeMusic at home and plain onboard audio on an Intel MB at work, and can't honestly say they sound that different. Maybe somebody with very good ears and listening to wav files at high volume would notice something, but your average guy listening to compressed audio (MP3, OGG, whatever) doesn't really need a sound card.