Can not install windows xp

jasonxiao

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
internal hard drive delete all partition and create a ntfs partition. (due to some problem)
I put the windows xp disc to boot ; Ntldr is missing. (boot prority set to cd)
I extract Ntldr and ndtect from the windows xp disc and create boot.ini, then put all three file to the internal hard drive.
This time it said hal file is missing. :cry:

Solution
If you're installing windows, it's going to use the boot files on the CD. It will format anything that's on the hard drive before installing windows.

Try unplugging all hard drives, and any other CD or DVD drives. Then double check the boot order, to make sure the CD/DVD drive is still first boot device. If your OS disc is bootable, this will force the PC to boot off it, or not at all.
If you're installing windows, it's going to use the boot files on the CD. It will format anything that's on the hard drive before installing windows.

Try unplugging all hard drives, and any other CD or DVD drives. Then double check the boot order, to make sure the CD/DVD drive is still first boot device. If your OS disc is bootable, this will force the PC to boot off it, or not at all.

Solution

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

The boot priority only has meaning if there is a medium for the os to boot from, as it can only boot from bootable medium,you need to fdisk your hdd and remove all partitions and fdisk /mbr,if you do not have a second bootable hdd then stick it in another computer and do it from there, if you originally partitioned your hdd from windoze then fdisk from DOS may not be able to fix it untill you use windoze to erase everything, all the partitions..Ntldr only works with windoze as it is the Nt loader same situation for Ndtect..it is always handy to have a second hdd with windoze installed, otherwise you cannot see/fix anything....:)

jasonxiao

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
I change the jumper setting.
In bios, ide master 0 : dvd drive
ide master 1 : hard drive (I have no other master or slave drive,only these two)

I put the xp disk, showing this (boot from CD) . Then no reaction at all, I can only press ctrl+alt+delete to restart

Try unplugging the hard drive. It's not needed to boot off of the XP disc. If it still doesn't boot, the disc isn't bootable, or the DVD drive is bad.

If the XP disc is burned, you may need to burn a new copy. Check to see if it's scratched or smudged. If it is, use a few drops of water and a soft cloth to clean it.