mongii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
HI

I know this is a dumb question but I'm not used to this kind of stuff. it's my 1st time to build a computer and i just want to be free on doing and tinkering with my computer. hope someone can enlighten me about this partitioning thing.

QUESTION:

in a 750gb partition like this:

partition 1: OS 30gb
partition 2: pagefile 4gb
partition 3: games (not yet decided)
partition 4: music/video/pictures (not yet decided)

where is the best place to install the anti-virus and the web browser(firefox)? do i install it in partition 1?

is this kind of partition good?

HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Firstly, pagefile/swapfile needs to be on the SAME partition as where your OS is installed (which is C:\) and not on a separate partition, unless it's on a different HDD.
In XP days we used to set pagefile to a static size to prevent it from fragmenting due to Windows resizing it dynamically. Now with Vista's smarter pagefile management and cheap abundant RAM this trick is no longer needed.

Usually a 60-120GB partition will do for OS+apps(including games). Installing games on a separate partition is not recommended because oftenly they(like a few other apps) also install essential files needed to run them into system directories and when you do a clean install of the OS those files gets wiped off as well. i.e. Reinstallation is still needed.

Have a look in this thread for examples and explanation.

mongii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

well, i' am still using XP 64-bit right now.

since i just have 1 hard drive, should i still make a partition scheme?
how do i make pagefile to a static size?

PS: im still using XP and i have 1x750gb hard drive.

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009

Just one for OS+apps+pagefile and the other for data will do.

By setting max. and min. to the same size.
With 2GB (and over) of RAM, around 400MB will do for pagefile.

mongii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
alright, thanks wuzzy.

is that 400mb or 4gb? because i heard that you should double the amount of ram you have for pagefile.

my two cents .

with XP there is almost no reason to bother with partitioning a hard drive at all
It can make sense to shift swap file and document floders to a second hard drive in the same machine , but with one hard drive you still have the same number of read/write heads and so speed advantage will occur .

Some people may find that creating two partitions for
1/ OS + applications + swapfile
2/ data files

but only if they expect to reinstall XP on a fairly regular basis because theyre a complete dumbass about security , or they just want to restore a drive image for that fresh feeling

Every one else can just make a repair installation of XP and have the system files re-written anyway

mongii

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009

i don't get what you just said. sorry im a noob and not really good in english. lol.

so what should i do? what are you saying about security? i don't get it.