Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Where do in install AV/web browser?

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 17, 2009 4:52:32 AM

HI

I know this is a dumb question but I'm not used to this kind of stuff. it's my 1st time to build a computer and i just want to be free on doing and tinkering with my computer. hope someone can enlighten me about this partitioning thing.

QUESTION:

in a 750gb partition like this:

partition 1: OS 30gb
partition 2: pagefile 4gb
partition 3: games (not yet decided)
partition 4: music/video/pictures (not yet decided)

where is the best place to install the anti-virus and the web browser(firefox)? do i install it in partition 1?

is this kind of partition good?

HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP

More about : install web browser

July 17, 2009 5:04:59 AM

can anyone help me with this?
July 17, 2009 11:20:35 PM

can anyone help me wiht this? please...
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 18, 2009 6:34:42 AM

Firstly, pagefile/swapfile needs to be on the SAME partition as where your OS is installed (which is C:\) and not on a separate partition, unless it's on a different HDD.
In XP days we used to set pagefile to a static size to prevent it from fragmenting due to Windows resizing it dynamically. Now with Vista's smarter pagefile management and cheap abundant RAM this trick is no longer needed.

Usually a 60-120GB partition will do for OS+apps(including games). Installing games on a separate partition is not recommended because oftenly they(like a few other apps) also install essential files needed to run them into system directories and when you do a clean install of the OS those files gets wiped off as well. i.e. Reinstallation is still needed.

Have a look in this thread for examples and explanation.
July 20, 2009 2:40:07 AM

wuzy said:
Firstly, pagefile/swapfile needs to be on the SAME partition as where your OS is installed (which is C:\) and not on a separate partition, unless it's on a different HDD.
In XP days we used to set pagefile to a static size to prevent it from fragmenting due to Windows resizing it dynamically. Now with Vista's smarter pagefile management and cheap abundant RAM this trick is no longer needed.

Usually a 60-120GB partition will do for OS+apps(including games). Installing games on a separate partition is not recommended because oftenly they(like a few other apps) also install essential files needed to run them into system directories and when you do a clean install of the OS those files gets wiped off as well. i.e. Reinstallation is still needed.

Have a look in this thread for examples and explanation.


well, i' am still using XP 64-bit right now.

since i just have 1 hard drive, should i still make a partition scheme?
how do i make pagefile to a static size?

PS: im still using XP and i have 1x750gb hard drive.
a b G Storage
July 20, 2009 3:28:13 AM

mongii said:
since i just have 1 hard drive, should i still make a partition scheme?

Just one for OS+apps+pagefile and the other for data will do.

mongii said:
how do i make pagefile to a static size?

By setting max. and min. to the same size.
With 2GB (and over) of RAM, around 400MB will do for pagefile.
July 20, 2009 7:59:02 PM

alright, thanks wuzzy.

is that 400mb or 4gb? because i heard that you should double the amount of ram you have for pagefile.
a b G Storage
July 20, 2009 8:23:02 PM

my two cents .

with XP there is almost no reason to bother with partitioning a hard drive at all
It can make sense to shift swap file and document floders to a second hard drive in the same machine , but with one hard drive you still have the same number of read/write heads and so speed advantage will occur .


Some people may find that creating two partitions for
1/ OS + applications + swapfile
2/ data files

but only if they expect to reinstall XP on a fairly regular basis because theyre a complete dumbass about security , or they just want to restore a drive image for that fresh feeling

Every one else can just make a repair installation of XP and have the system files re-written anyway
July 20, 2009 8:36:39 PM

Outlander_04 said:
my two cents .

with XP there is almost no reason to bother with partitioning a hard drive at all
It can make sense to shift swap file and document floders to a second hard drive in the same machine , but with one hard drive you still have the same number of read/write heads and so speed advantage will occur .


Some people may find that creating two partitions for
1/ OS + applications + swapfile
2/ data files

but only if they expect to reinstall XP on a fairly regular basis because theyre a complete dumbass about security , or they just want to restore a drive image for that fresh feeling

Every one else can just make a repair installation of XP and have the system files re-written anyway


i don't get what you just said. sorry im a noob and not really good in english. lol.

so what should i do? what are you saying about security? i don't get it.
!