Random power-off, but only on Vista???

nukeboyt

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
I have an HP Pavilion a6230n desktop computer that I dual boot. XP is on one physical HD, and Vista (the original OS) is on another. I had not used Vista for several years, so I performed a factory reset, re-installing back to out of the box status. The problem is that while running vista, it randomly (& instantly) powers off. No warning, no "shut-down". Just an instant loss of power.

The really odd part is that this NEVER happens when I boot into XP!!!! It can (and does) run for days-on-end on XP.

I thought it could be temperature related and that somehow Vista was causing the CPU to overheat, I cleaned the heatsink and CPU and applied fresh thermal paste. But the problem continues. The fans are all working fine and there is no dust whatsoever inside the machine.

I installed a temperature monitoring program and the CPU core temps (AMD 5000 dual core) were never above 40 C. Usual temperature was around 28 C.

Any thoughts, troubleshooting tips?

nukeboyt

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012
More Information:

The problem exists when I load Windows 7 also:. I wiped the factory HD and installed Window 7 from CD. It seemed to be running on, but after performing the Windows Updates (Important only) the problem started all over again.

Back to XP, it runs for days.

I checked the event logs and nothing obvious (or consistent) is being recorded prior to the shutdown.

nukeboyt

Honorable
Aug 20, 2012

Thank you. I cannot find any entries that are similar or consistent prior to the shutdown.

TRENDING THREADS