Genericked!

Argh. RorShok got GenericHeroed. I used the free tailoring to redo his
outfit pretty much the same. Have a couple of analogue names to submit.
Arrgh Arrgh Arrgh.

Maybe "GM Pounder" will do. Or "SnitchWhacker".

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
> Argh. RorShok got GenericHeroed. I used the free tailoring to redo his
> outfit pretty much the same. Have a couple of analogue names to submit.
> Arrgh Arrgh Arrgh.
>
> Maybe "GM Pounder" will do. Or "SnitchWhacker".

LOL.

Bummer.

I don't suppose they'd take "Raw Shark"? :)

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 30 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 25 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
NightfalI (M), Level 18 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
Steel Night (M), Level 18 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 16 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 14 Controller (Mind/Empthy), Triumph

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:52:27 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

> Argh. RorShok got GenericHeroed. I used the free tailoring to redo his
> outfit pretty much the same. Have a couple of analogue names to submit.
> Arrgh Arrgh Arrgh.

I am only moderately surprised. Personally I never intentionally get
close to known names from superhero history. But I have probably only ever
seen or heard about a minority of all the superhero names that have
existed through the times, so who knows when the Generic hammer will hit.

good sign." -G

"Magnus Itland" <itlandm@online.no> wrote in message
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:52:27 -0000, Shenanigunner
> <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:
>
>> Argh. RorShok got GenericHeroed. I used the free tailoring to redo his
>> outfit pretty much the same. Have a couple of analogue names to submit.
>> Arrgh Arrgh Arrgh.
>
> I am only moderately surprised. Personally I never intentionally get
> close to known names from superhero history. But I have probably only ever
> seen or heard about a minority of all the superhero names that have
> existed through the times, so who knows when the Generic hammer will hit.

Thats pretty lame I work in a comic store and thats not a comic heros name.
LIke you said if you can't be similar there would only be 5 different names.

The Inhumane Torche
triumph

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
> I don't suppose they'd take "Raw Shark"? :)

Third choice. We'll see.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= *******: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
-= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
-= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
> I am only moderately surprised.

As am I. I've never been inclined to clone a known hero; this was something
of a lark. I have some good alternate names in for replacement.

--

"gildhaus" <gildhaus@comcast.net> wrote:
> Thats pretty lame I work in a comic store and thats not a comic heros
> name.

Look in the old stacks, kid. :)

I cop to making a too-exact clone, down to the backstory. My baaaaad.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= *******: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
-= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
-= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!

">> Thats pretty lame I work in a comic store and thats not a comic heros
>> name.
>
> Look in the old stacks, kid. :)
>
> I cop to making a too-exact clone, down to the backstory. My baaaaad.

I'll bite what was it in.
And I'm 42 sonny

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 15:35:07 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>"gildhaus" <gildhaus@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Thats pretty lame I work in a comic store and thats not a comic heros
>> name.
>
>Look in the old stacks, kid. :)
>
>I cop to making a too-exact clone, down to the backstory. My baaaaad.

Without trenchcoats and a morphing mask?

"gildhaus" <gildhaus@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Thats pretty lame I work in a comic store and thats not a comic heros
>>> name.

>> Look in the old stacks, kid. :)

>> I cop to making a too-exact clone, down to the backstory. My baaaaad.

> I'll bite what was it in.

Alan Moore's "Watchmen." Rorschach is one of the most fascinating
characters in a series full of interesting characters. RorShok was as
close a visual copy as I could make (his mask was a problem, but
everything else was do-able), the name was as close as any available (the
actual name being either taken or blocked) and his backstory was
identical. I won't do it again. :)

> And I'm 42 sonny

Don't call your elders "sonny," kid. :)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= RorShok: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M

>>> Look in the old stacks, kid. :)
>
>>> I cop to making a too-exact clone, down to the backstory. My baaaaad.
>
>> I'll bite what was it in.
>
> Alan Moore's "Watchmen." Rorschach is one of the most fascinating
> characters in a series full of interesting characters. RorShok was as
> close a visual copy as I could make (his mask was a problem, but
> everything else was do-able), the name was as close as any available (the
> actual name being either taken or blocked) and his backstory was
> identical. I won't do it again. :)
>
>> And I'm 42 sonny

Like I said its pretty lame when its not spelled the same and it isnt an
exact copy.
Dude in trench coat with a hat come on.

gildhaus wrote:
> Shenanigunner wrote:

>>> I'll bite what was it in.
>>
>> Alan Moore's "Watchmen." Rorschach is one of the most fascinating
>> characters in a series full of interesting characters. RorShok was as
>> close a visual copy as I could make (his mask was a problem, but
>> everything else was do-able), the name was as close as any available (the
>> actual name being either taken or blocked) and his backstory was
>> identical. I won't do it again. :)
>>
>>> And I'm 42 sonny
>
> Like I said its pretty lame when its not spelled the same and it isnt an
> exact copy.
> Dude in trench coat with a hat come on.

By the law, it need only be 80% similar to justify trademark
infringement (alright, not technically "by law," but that is the
percentage generally used as a litmus by courts). Similar-sounding name
and costume would be enough.

"Magnus, Robot Fighter." <me@key.com> wrote:
>> I cop to making a too-exact clone, down to the backstory. My baaaaad.

> Without trenchcoats and a morphing mask?

The suit worked pretty well, and I tried a couple of the masks in black
and white. I got a full image respec and rebuilt the same look, using the
sliders and some new mask choices to make it even better.

They wouldn't let me use:

RawShark
Kovacs
KoVaX

though. (Walter Kovacs is Rorschach's real name.) I thought the last was
ridiculous, but hokay fiiiine.

He's now Mr Cellophane. (After "Chicago.")

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= Mr Cellophane: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M

> He's now Mr Cellophane. (After "Chicago.")

It's amazing that RA Heinlein hasn't been name-nerf'd

J Anlee <janlee@ameritech.net> wrote:
> It's amazing that RA Heinlein hasn't been name-nerf'd

Neither copyrighted nor a comic book issue; why bother?

Besides, I'd come back with written permission from the estate trustees if
I had to. <fx evil grin>

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Shenanigunner: Level 39 Natural Tanker, Fire/SS, M
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 31 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F
-= Mr Cellophane: Level 21 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M
-= R A Heinlein: Level 19 Science Controller, Ill/Rad, M
-= Justice Server =-
-= Jazz-Man: Level 8 Natural Blaster, AR/Devs, M
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/
-= The UPDATED v1.00 Keybind & Macro Guide is now available!

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> looked up from reading the
say:

>Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
>> I am only moderately surprised.
>
>As am I. I've never been inclined to clone a known hero; this was something
>of a lark. I have some good alternate names in for replacement.

I almost did one once (pre lawsuit) but never did actually make him.
A certain red and yellow armored fellow, who, since i'd spoken out many
times against the whole cloning thing in game and newsgroups, I was
going to call "Ironic Man."

Xocyll

Buser

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2005

George Johnson wrote:

> What we really need is a ring tone that’ll increase people’s IQs.

No no no no. This is way more amusing, except for the bit about not
using tasers on the idiots.

--
I no longer need to punish, deceive or compromise myself. Unless, of
course, I want to stay employed.

Shenanigunner <shenanigunner@nodgathspam.kom> wrote:

>>> Look in the old stacks, kid. :)
>
>>> I cop to making a too-exact clone, down to the backstory. My baaaaad.
>
>> I'll bite what was it in.
>
>Alan Moore's "Watchmen." Rorschach is one of the most fascinating
>characters in a series full of interesting characters. RorShok was as
>close a visual copy as I could make (his mask was a problem, but
>everything else was do-able), the name was as close as any available (the
>actual name being either taken or blocked) and his backstory was
>identical. I won't do it again. :)

I have no comment on Rorschach in general, though I agree that anyone
who is a comic book fan who hasn't read Moore's Watchmen should go and
do so. We'll wait.

I did, however, want to tie this thread into the twinkie thread
elsegroup:

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/features/rorschach.htm

-R

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / doc@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Shenanigunner wrote:

> Alan Moore's "Watchmen." Rorschach is one of the most fascinating
> characters in a series full of interesting characters.

I re-read Watchmen a few weeks ago. I still say we were being laughed at,
not with.

And it must really stick in Moore's craw that not only did conservatives not
destroy the world, but we won the cold war, too.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

Rob Wynne <doc@america.net> wrote:
> I have no comment on Rorschach in general, though I agree that anyone
> who is a comic book fan who hasn't read Moore's Watchmen should go and
> do so. We'll wait.
>
> I did, however, want to tie this thread into the twinkie thread
> elsegroup:
>
> http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/features/rorschach.htm

Oh. My. Ghod. Major screen splatter!

--

Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:

>> "We" who? Comix fans? No way.

> Yes, comics fans. Moore portrayed superheroes as, at best neurotic
> busybodies acting out their fantasies because they can't cope with
> their own inadequacies, and at worst as psychopathic fascists.

I don't see that as "laughing at us" unless you take your comic book
heroes very, very seriously and can't tolerate an alternate view. Moore
was doing something quite different from adding to the list of comic
titles: he was postulating that real people turned themselves into real
caped/costumed crusaders instead of reading comics about them.
Fascinating idea, one that's never been really well-explored. Fascinating
and thought-provoking take on it.

I think the concept that "real" costumed crimefighters are likely to be a
little bent, a little off the rails, a little strange - like Batman but
without the kewlness - is a better take than viewing them as completely
normal people who, say, happen to have the strength of a gorilla.

(I'll ignore the rest of this exchange.)

--

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:55:03 GMT, Rob Wynne <doc@america.net> wrote:

> I have no comment on Rorschach in general, though I agree that anyone
> who is a comic book fan who hasn't read Moore's Watchmen should go and
> do so. We'll wait.
>
> I did, however, want to tie this thread into the twinkie thread
> elsegroup:
>
> http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/features/rorschach.htm

My life has been incomplete until this day.

good sign." -G

Magnus Itland <itlandm@online.no> wrote:
>> http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/features/rorschach.htm

> My life has been incomplete until this day.

I had to print it out and file it in my copy of Watchmen.

--

Shenanigunner wrote:

> I don't see that as "laughing at us" unless you take your comic book
> heroes very, very seriously and can't tolerate an alternate view.

Watchmen is not an "alternate view"; it is a deconstruction of comic books
and superheroes. This was deliberate on his part -- he once said in a guest
op-ed in Amazing Heroes that he and Frank Miller had killed the superhero
genre (as if). Comic books are just melodramatic morality plays, though, and
superheroes are metaphors. Attacking them for being metaphors is just silly.

> Moore was doing something quite different from adding to the list of comic
> titles: he was postulating that real people turned themselves into real
> caped/costumed crusaders instead of reading comics about them.

No, he was just using the Charleston characters DC had recently acquired,
only with their names changed. He had wanted to use the originals but DC
wanted to incorporate those characters into the post-Crisis universe. It
happened that except for Captain Atom (Dr. Manhatten) those characters were
pretty much costumed normals.

> Fascinating idea, one that's never been really well-explored.

Are you putting me on? Early comic and pulp characters were more like the
Lone Ranger and Zorro than Superman. Please.

> I think the concept that "real" costumed crimefighters are likely to be a
> little bent, a little off the rails, a little strange - like Batman but
> without the kewlness - is a better take than viewing them as completely
> normal people who, say, happen to have the strength of a gorilla.

Watchman was an explication of all the reasons why superheroes wouldn't
"really" work. Duh, Alan, we knew that -- it's a FANTASY. Perhaps next he
would like to explain that we really can't banish all the evil in the world by
throwing a ring into a volcano.

You're not seeing the forest for the trees. The message of Watchmen is the
same as the message of the "censorship episode" of The Simpsons: one person
can change the world but probably shouldn't. That message puts the book into
the same catagory as Dark Knight: technically brilliant and artistically bankrupt.

--
Dennis F. Heffernan CoH: Venture (Virtue) hefferman@comcast.net
#include <disclaim.h> MS Messenger: Venture

"And I say now these kittens, they do not get trained/As we did in the days
when Victoria reigned!" -- T.S. Eliot, "Gus, the Theatre Cat"

Dennis Francis Heffernan <hefferman@comcast.net> wrote:
> You're not seeing the forest for the trees.

If you say so.

(I've written more about Watchmen, its meaning and its milieu, and in
loftier circles than usenet, than I care to list here. I'm not here for the
intellectual wrangling; I get plenty of that nearly everywhere else. I also
don't think comics need the special-pleading defenses you're throwing up.)

Back to bitching about powers slotting.