brit

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
Hi all,
I am looking into a wireless solution for when we get ADSL broadband (most likely in the summer) and wanted to know a few things.

The plan is, I will have a 1Mb connection to a ADSL wireless router. Then each PC shall have either a PCI or USB wireless card installed.

Basically, my router and PCs will not have a clear path to each other. I want a simple wireless "star" type connection to the router to share the broadband.

I need to have wireless that can travel through walls. I know there are various standards and am not sure what they mean.

I am looking at D-Link router and D-Link wireless PCI cards because they can communicate with each other independently (perfect for a wired LAN replacement).

An ideas? I don't think the walls involved are brick, just plaster board and wood. One PC shall be 2 or 3 walls. All PCs are within 5 - 10 metres of each other.

Any info would be much appriciated! John.

Barton 2500+ A7N8X-D, 256MB DC DDR 400, Seagate 120Gb ATA100, Radeon 9600 256MB, TruePower 430, H600A, LiteOn CD-RW

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
that setup should work fine. Mine go from the basement to the 2nd floor without a problem.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
Chances are you'll be fine but the truth with microwave LAN equipment is you won't know until you try. You might consider getting an AP, or AP/Router combo, with detachable antennas in case you need to add gain. Something with a good return policy wouldn't be a bad idea either. While it might seem overkill you can never be sure about wireless cell coverage until you set it up. Every wireless environment is different.

brit

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2003
I would hope I would be OK in that case, I am only talking short distances here with non-solid walls.

I just hope it is OK! Maybe i should buy a couple of wireless cards first and see if the work OK with each other before buying the whole kit?

Barton 2500+ A7N8X-D, 256MB DC DDR 400, Seagate 120Gb ATA100, Radeon 9600 256MB, TruePower 430, H600A, LiteOn CD-RW

G4t3k33p0r

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
As suggested by KWEBB68, knowing the return policy well is a GOOD thing just in case. I'd just go ahead and purchase the entire kit (the router/ap and the PCI/USB adapters for the desktops) because if they all work the first time around, then there's no need to return to the retailer. But, if you purchase just some of the hardware (and they work), then later purchase the rest of the hardware (second trip to the store), you may discover that one of those do not work and you will have to make a third trip back.

g4t3k33p0r