They didnt snd my thermal paste!

publicradiohead

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Appears NewEgg didnt pack my Artic Silver 5 thermal paste... does this stop my build?

Does my e8400 come ready to install, pre-pastey -- or do I need to get a tube of thermal paste from radioshack?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Most aftermarket cpu coolers should come with a tube. It's not as good, but should do the job.

publicradiohead

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
I was plannin' to use the stock fan that came with the processor... don't see a tube of paste with the processor/fan.

I am supposed to have some thermal paste in the processor box?

this is my very first build -- btw.

Sorry if this is very noob.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

There isn't much point in putting good thermal compound on stock cooler. The bottleneck isn't the heat transfer between cpu and heatsink, but rather the rate at which the cooler dissipate heat into the air.

Basically, you're putting performance tires on a subcompact that can't run fast anyway.

publicradiohead

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
Thanks Dagger -- makes perfect sense what your sayin'.

But I don't see a seperate tube of thermal paste in with the processor and fan even.

I can't move forward without a tube of thermal paste?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Not surprising. I suppose they wanted you to use the stock fan without thermal paste. It's usually only the aftermarket coolers that comes with thermal compound, knowing that people who buy those would want it.

The stock Intel HSF should have thermal compound pre-applied to the heatsink:
intel3rk1.jpg

If you're using aftermarket thermal compound be sure to clean the stock stuff off the heatsink first.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Omg... Take it away... It's just painful looking at that. Why'd they make the base round? Don't they know it's less contact? Or they just wanted the good looks. And it's so tiny... smaller than the stock cooler from old P4.