some SAD news to AMD fans.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
While it is pure speculation on whether or not Deneb is having problems sampling, AMD cannot afford another product delay, that is for certain.

I will give them (AMD) the benefit of doubt, but not showing Deneb at one of the biggest showcases for computer products doesn't help, either.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
is it AMD cannot afford another product delay or is it AMD cannot afford to make another product?share prices isnt great.one of my mate lost all his money on the supposedly profitting AMD.but who knows....

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
If your friend lost all his money gambling (which it is, when one plays in the stock market), then that's his fault. No one else. Just because a company's stock sky rockets, doesn't mean it won't drop as fast, either.

AMD cannot afford another Barcelona type delay. Not saying that Deneb has a bug or anything, but any product delay is not good for them. The launch of Barcelona, then delay, hurt AMD pretty badly. If Deneb is delayed or not sampling as this article (and others I have seen) claims, then this could be a very bad thing for AMD, no doubt.

@groo - Yes, any monopoly is not good, but this isn't an Intel monopoly thing...it's an AMD execution thing.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I was commenting on the forseable concequences of AMD's continual blunders.

Intel has a monopoly on the highend. it looks like AMD is trying to loose the middle ground too.

we already have a VIA, we don't need another.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008

Uh.....I don't think he was blaming anyone. Just providing an example of AMD's abysmal state.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

I see. I apologize for my haste to prevent another Intel monopoly thing.

Yes, AMD's missteps are painful to watch at times. Look at how many executives that have left prior to and since Barcelona's launch. It hasn't been pretty for AMD, and a lot of people are waiting for them to turn the ship around.

the linked articles read more like a blog post than actual news.

AMD is/was supposed to come out with the "Griffin" mobile processor at Compputex as well, but there is still no news about that, yet. There also hasn't been much Computex news about the 4850 and 4870, yet.

So...with that said, any naysaying should be taken with a grain of salt...after all, they've got until 6/7 when Computex ends...

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i think somewhere in the future Nvidia will come into play in CPU market.hopefully!

yeah got the same view as you chunkymonster.no 4780 or 4850.i swear they got sample shipping already somewhere on earth.but im thinking is the driver for both AMD and Nvidia is so bad thats why those demo machine dont have 3d mark o6 or vantage install.because it will just cause another stir.

groo im not complaining about the AMD fall just saying the situation to reflect the overall AMD's position.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

If he lost all his money he should not be trying to buy and sale stocks to start with.
For those people who bought AMD a few weeks back the stock is about 40% higher right now and the NYSE still about 3 hours untill it closes.

AMD stocks have made me far more income than Intc (Intel) each year.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

It will be tough for NVIDIA to move into the x86 market due to licensing restrictions.

While x86 is not the best technical CPU design at the moment, it wins due to software compatibility.
The reason why the Itanium failed, even though it did run Windows.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007
Personally I didn't find this "sad news" as the OP suggests.

They are scheduled to release 45nm the second half of the year. That means July through December for those of you that are chronologically challenged. Last time I looked it was June. June is in the first half of the year and not the second half. AMD has more than 6 months to release something in 2H08 before being "late" on their current release schedule.

It is good to see that they are taking their time.

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

No way, what with recent going ons with Nvidia and Intel will never lisence X86 technology needed to run all pcs of yesterday, today and tomorrow..

Will Nvidia follow 3dfx and get too cocky for its own good.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
the deneb is due the 3rd quarter of 2008.and supposedly be display on computex which is happen on the 3rd quarter of the year(aka 2nd half of the year)

if the chip is not ready for mass production they still should have a WORKING sample to just display on IT show like this.even Nehalem is not fully ready for every market but they still manage to showcase a working system.

and you mention 2nd half of the year,it is true the mass production is happenning at the 4th quarter of 2008 as suggested in the link i gave.but from earlier news AMD said that they should have the Deneb working demostrated at computex which again they failed so far.but there are still time for the computex.we will wait and see.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007

what if they dont run on X86 technology.if you have followed in this forum Jaydeejohn have posted a link of GPU working to encode video.it maybe limited now but as you can see Nvidia is moving into other parts of computing other than just rendering 3D graphics.

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
As I recall, It takes roughly 6 to 8 weeks to complete a wafer run, and about 3 months or more to ramp to volume production. When you start thinking along these timeframes, there isn't quite as much time as you would think. Sure, there is still time to hit their target, but not a lot. "Taking their time" is anything but good ATM.

AMD ships 45-nm Shanghai, Deneb chips
03/04/2008
http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206901553
Advanced Micro Devices on Tuesday said samples of its first 45-nanometer processors have been shipped to computer manufacturers, and the company is on track to start production in the second half of the year.

AMD plans to initially release two quad-core processors, one server chip codenamed Shanghai; and the other a desktop processor codenamed Deneb.

AMD's Puma prepares to pounce
June 3, 2008
http://techreport.com/articles.x/14858
The various components of the Puma platform will be largely familiar to those who know AMD's desktop products, but the big exception here is the new mobile processor design, code-named "Griffin."

Griffin is a mix of old and new, combining a pair of K8-style execution cores with Phenom-style glue logic and power-saving measures. The chipset itself is manufactured on AMD's 65nm SOI process, and each core packs 1MB of L2 cache, for a total of 2MB L2 per chip.

AMD says this new mobile processor has three independent power planes, one for each CPU core and a third for its integrated north bridge (with a HyperTransport link and memory controller). Griffin can scale voltage up and down as needed, in response to demand, for each of these three power planes.

The north bridge supports HyperTransport 3.0, for added bandwidth, and it can drop from 16 lanes to eight, or even disconnect itself temporarily, in order to conserve power.....

Today's announcement is just the Puma platform's formal introduction. Most products based on the platform are likely to be announced in the next six to eight weeks, and AMD expects products to be shipping in time for the back-to-school buying season.

I saw an update on the 48xx video cards that the release has been bumped from the 18th to the 23rd of this month - the reason given was so that the hd4850 and hd4870 could be released on the same day. nVidia decided to to bump their release of the GT200s (9900 GTX?) to the 17th to get the jump on AMD ....

It appears that AMD distributors are a bit 'torqued' because 10's of thousands of hd48xx's are loaded in the channel ....

I'm starting to wonder about ol' Gill....he might be the next 'Baghdad Bob' :pt1cable:

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
Maybe they are preventing another TLB-like bug, doing things carefully and with time.
6 to 8 weeks are 2 months for wafer run + 3 months of volume production = 5 months.

there's almost 7 months from now to Christmas, so they are "in time"... And I prefer results over a rush release, but anyway, they better start the process now, as I haven't counted the "delay" factor which may be possible. Specially from AMD.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
well if the Deneb chip is being ship why didnt AMD display them on Computex its a good chance to reestablish their product to the world.obviouslt they've some sort of problem.and that means problems other then the CPU itself.maybe mobo support?BIOS support?

and that news you gave is back in April all these time they cant manage to get one on show?come on get real!

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
Perhaps they weren't shipped and they just "mis-informed" everyone as to keep them stock prices from dropping....As we speak the executives at AMD are selling there shares :)