Sign in with
Your question

Help with motherboard choice for E7200

Last response: in Motherboards
June 27, 2008 9:39:30 PM

Which ATX motherboard for the E7200 will give me the best bang for the buck?

I am not a gamer, not interested in overclocking at this point.
June 27, 2008 11:47:23 PM

Good suggestion or the newer p45 chipset board from might be another option.
Related resources
June 28, 2008 1:40:50 AM

What advantage would he get from buying that p45 mobo over the ds3l?
June 28, 2008 2:02:59 AM

BigBurn said:
What advantage would he get from buying that p45 mobo over the ds3l?

Higher oc (not useful, as he doesn't oc)
PCIE2.0 (very useful, as he's a gamer)
Cooler chipset temperature (slightly useful)
Better ram support (most p35 boards have problems handling more than 800mhz ddr2)
Better cpu support (native support for 45nm duals and quads out of the box without needing bios update)

P45 is meant to replace p35, which is going out of production soon. If you want p35, get it now before old stock get's emptied out.
June 28, 2008 2:30:54 AM

He said "I am not a gamer" and I doubt he will use memory over 800mhz :p .
Only thing that would be useful is not needing to do a bios update, which is not 100% sure he will have to do on the ds3l. I still beleive the ds3l would be a better bang for the bucks, but the MSI is really not far behind.

And do you know if the MSI board got an energy feature like asus and gigabyte got?
June 28, 2008 2:38:06 AM

BigBurn said:
He said "I am not a gamer" and I doubt he will use memory over 800mhz :p  .
Only thing that would be useful is not needing to do a bios update, which is not 100% sure he will have to do on the ds3l. I still beleive the ds3l would be a better bang for the bucks, but the MSI is really not far behind.

And do you know if the MSI board got an energy feature like asus and gigabyte got?

ROFL, good point on the "gamer," I misread. :na: 

As for bios update, new stock should come with later version bios, and since newegg's stock tend to sell out fast, there likely won't be any problems.

As far as I know, MSI doesn't have energy saving mode. Although it comes down to a few dollars per year on typical usage, it really doesn't matter economically. If you're a tree hugger, there is a moral reason though. :D 

As a side note, Asus EPU is software based, and should not be used because its fluctuating power flow can cause instability. Gigabyte's DES works fine.
June 28, 2008 3:03:46 AM

GA-P35-DS3L or GA-EP35-DS3L.
July 22, 2008 1:53:15 AM

Intel P45 chipset consumes more power than the P35 due to its support for PCIe 2.0. However, its main advantage is that it supports up to date technology.

The P35 is a good chipset too, as is the 965P. Motherboards from the major manufacturers like Asus, GigaByte, MSI, etc. nowadays support the 45 nm Intel processors. Ironically, Intel motherboards with older chipsets may not support the latest processors like the E7200.

Another thing you may want to consider is whether the motherboard has support for FireWire and/or eSATA. These are useful features to have if you plan to use video camcorders and/or external hard drives.

The Asus P5QL-E (P43 chipset) looks like a board that is good value for money. Details here: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=710&l4=0&model=2272&modelmenu=1
!