Sign in with
Your question

Moving Files from a Gateway with Windows 98 to a Dell with Windows XP

Last response: in Storage
July 18, 2009 2:36:23 PM

I have a Gateway desktop computer that I bought in 1998. It has a GenuineIntel Pentium Processor with Intel MMX Technology and is equipped with Windows 98. I have various files on this Gateway that I would like to transfer to my Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. The Dell has an AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-56, 1.79GHz, 896 MB of RAM and is equipped with Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3. I have a flash drive that works fine in the Dell but when I put it into the Gateway’s USB port and try to install it the Gateway says; “The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28). So I guess this flash drive needs a driver. The Gateway does not have internet access. In short; does anyone know how I can get these files from the Gateway to the Dell? Is there a cable that I can buy that I can hook into the USB ports of these computers to transfer the files? Thanks in advance for any help.
July 18, 2009 4:54:44 PM

By far the simplest way is to disconnect the HDD from the first system, connect it to the second system, and then copy. :) 
When you are done, disconnect that drive from the 2nd system and reconnect it back to the 1st system. If you don't plan on using that 1st system after the copy then leave the HDD connected to the second system. If the 2nd system doesn't have a PATA (IDE) connector then you can buy an IDE to USB converter cable and attach it to the 2nd system that way.

If you don't like that answer then:

"Data Drive Thru PC-to-PC File Transfer for Dummies", $30 at newegg

July 18, 2009 10:19:42 PM

MikeJRamsey said:
By far the simplest way is to disconnect the HDD from the first system, connect it to the second system, and then copy. :) 
When you are done, disconnect that drive from the 2nd system and reconnect it back to the 1st system. If you don't plan on using that 1st system after the copy then leave the HDD connected to the second system. If the 2nd system doesn't have a PATA (IDE) connector then you can buy an IDE to USB converter cable and attach it to the 2nd system that way.

If you don't like that answer then:

"Data Drive Thru PC-to-PC File Transfer for Dummies", $30 at newegg

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your assistance. However I am a bit confused because I have never gotten this far into computers before. I assume by “HDD” you mean hard disk drive. Also, how do I disconnect the HDD from the first system, connect it to the second system, and then copy? Do you mean I have to open the Gateway and physically remove the hardrive? How do I connect it to the Dell? I don’t think I can take the Dell apart. And if I do connect it to the Dell will it read the Gateway hardrive? I saw at www.worldstart.com a USB to USB Direct Net Link Cable for $21.97, (http://store.worldstart.com/product.php?productid=2606&...). It says it will work with Windows 98 and Windows XP. Does that mean I can connect this cable to my two computers and simply transfer my files directly from the Gateway to the Dell? I hope you don’t mind all these questions. I really just want to transfer these files and get rid of this Gateway dinosaur. This is a one time deal. If I get the cable I will keep it of course and I am willing to bear the cost of it. I would like to do it your way by connecting the old HDD to the Dell because it will cost nothing but I think I lack the technical expertise for that unless you could give me some specific instructions on how to accomplish that operation. Again, thanks in advance for any help.
July 18, 2009 11:18:46 PM

Sorry. Until I first did this myself some years ago I was nervous too. Actually, it's not too difficult to accomplish.

Try here if it is IDE. http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/install-hard-drive...

Jumpers can be tricky. I would need to know the brand and model number of your drive to give specific instructions. The jumper setting tells the BIOS which drive is the boot (C: ) drive.

You might be better off using a product like lap link.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More expensive though. If you don't plan on using the old system leaving the old drive in is an option. However if it has exceeded its useful life than maybe not.
!