Sign in with
Your question

Suggested CPU Cooler for Asus Rampage Formula Motherboard

Last response: in Overclocking
January 29, 2009 4:35:21 AM

Hi

I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6700 CPU (factory default @ 2.66GHz). I have overclocked it to 3.2GHz. I am using the stock cooler that came with the CPU, but its constant whining is driving me up the wall. I did have a Thermaltake Max Orb cooler, until I replaced my motherboard with a new Asus Rampage Formula. The heatsinks / heatpipes on the new motherboard was in the way when I tried to mount the massive Thermaltake cooler. Eventually I purchased the Cooler Master Hyper TX2 cooler, which does fit without the heatsinks / heatpipes getting in the way, however the retention push-pin clips (same as a stock Intel cooler) was such a mission to secure as it fits way too tightly into the motherboard. After trying to power on my PC thereafter, it wouldn't boot up. Replacing the Cooler Master with the stock Intel cooler again (using the same type of push-pin clips), the PC booted up fine. I think that the Cooler Master Hyper TX2 wasn't machined properly when it was manufactured and fits way too tightly into the motherboard. The question I have is that are there any recommendations on a decent CPU cooler for my CPU that offers good cooling, but also would be able to fit onto my motherboard (keeping all the heatsinks / heatpipes in mind)
!