gowillie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I'm in a campus apartment and our traffic is watched steadily when we browse the net to make sure we're not using a ton of bandwidth to say, download torrents. My room mate however has gotten a linksys router set up that we can access through their internet. Can they still see our traffic if I'm connecting through his router? Would I be able to anonymously download torrents since I'm connecting through the router?

Lavarin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Probably yes. When the Linksys router was connected to your campus network, it was probably assigned a new IP address automatically. The college admins can determine that a lot of bandwidth load is caused by this IP or that IP, but unless they know how that IP of your router connects to the network, they'll have no idea that the bandwidth usage is coming from your room.

In any case, be careful! Your campus may already have a rule prohibiting the use of a third-party router within the premises.

EDIT: Also, your campus IT can just keep router from connecting to the rest of the network, by marking its IP address as "bad".