Copy user data to new user

I set up a new user on a PC (the existing user left the company) and want to
copy all the information from the old user to the new user. I've attempted to
follow the instructions in the Knowledge base for repairing a damaged profile:
I log on as 'administrator' and copy the "user1" folder information (except
for the files listed in the KB article) under "docs and settings" to the
"user2" folder, but after copying several folders, I get the error that
"UsrClass" is in use and and the copy stops. For what it's worth, both
"user1" and "user2" have administrative capabilities.
Any ideas on how I can get this to work? There are lots of settings that
would take hours to set up from scratch for the new user....
Thanks in advance!

Malke

JanC wrote:

> I set up a new user on a PC (the existing user left the company) and
> want to copy all the information from the old user to the new user.
> I've attempted to follow the instructions in the Knowledge base for
> repairing a damaged profile:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151 I log
> on as 'administrator' and copy the "user1" folder information (except
> for the files listed in the KB article) under "docs and settings" to
> the "user2" folder, but after copying several folders, I get the error
> that "UsrClass" is in use and and the copy stops. For what it's worth,
> both "user1" and "user2" have administrative capabilities. Any ideas
> on how I can get this to work? There are lots of settings that would
> take hours to set up from scratch for the new user.... Thanks in
> advance!

1. Have you logged out - not used Fast User Switching?
2. Have you first logged in as the new user once? If not, you need to do
this. Then log in with a user account that has administrative
privileges which is not either of the accounts involved (copying from
and to).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers