How can I clean my harddrive without an optical drive?

I'm going to be selling my netbook on ebay next month. I have had personal and sensitive information on the netbook, and I don't want the buyer to be able to have access to it. I would normally just reformat the harddrive, but it has no optical drive. I hate to buy an external optical dive just for this. Is there any ways I can completely erase the information from my harddrive while keeping the OS intact. The OS is Windows XP 32-bit that came with it when I bought it.
5 answers Last reply
More about clean harddrive optical drive
  1. well if your netbook supports booting from flash drive you could possibly boot up something like ERD Commander and install from there, i believe it also comes with a disk wipe option, just an idea
  2. How would I know if my netbook supports booting from a flash drive? Allso, are you talking about reloading Windows from there?
  3. Install a file shredder program from the USB drive. Use it to erase all of your sensitive data.
  4. Option 1) use a USB stick to boot from. There are more than a few recovery tools, and even full blown linux live images, that you can run off a USB stick. Run a factory format of your hard drive about 7 times to prevent someone from trying to recover any data

Option 2) Sell it without a hard drive.

Option 3) Take your Hard Drive out back and smash it with a hammer. Nobody will be getting anything off of it then.
  5. So, would resetting the PC back to it's factory settings effectively erase all of the data but keep the OS? I found this method, but I'm unsure of how safe this will make my data.

What is the best data destruction tool that I can use via a USB drive? I'd like something with a friendly user interface or a guide.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Optical Media Netbooks Storage