Need advice for ssd-> os / hdd raid0 -->media

d3rek

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
i recently bought parts for my new i7 setup, have bought 2x 500 gb 7200.12's for a raid0 which i was intending to use for my system's storage.

now i am wondering whether it would be beneficial to purchase a 32 or 64gb SSD to load my operating system from, and then have my games, media, and etc store on my raid0 setup?

if I would be upgrading from VISTA --> W7 in the near future, would all I need to do = install W7 over Vista on the SSD and would all of my games/media would still be accessible from my raid0 without needing to back them up?

if ^ is correct, i feel this would be an improvement over having to back up my user files/reinstall games since i would lose all of my data from the raid0 when upgrading to w7.

any one have any opinions on this? thanks

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
RAID0 for storage!? I hope you have backup for those data!

The main advantage you'll get from loading OS+apps onto SSD is a general 'snapier' feel and the ability to perform multi-disk activities without massive slow down like HDD would e.g. virus scan and app loading at the same time.

if I would be upgrading from VISTA --> W7 in the near future, would all I need to do = install W7 over Vista on the SSD and would all of my games/media would still be accessible from my raid0 without needing to back them up?
More likely a clean install will be performed instead even with a Windows7 upgrade from Vista. That means you'll have to re-do all app/games installs.

All your data stored on previous RAID array will be recognised by the new OS once you have installed driver/software for the (RAID) storage controller e.g. Intel chipset driver containing driver for ICHx-R and Intel Matrix RAID Manager

Putting app/game on a partition separate from the OS will not allow you to re-use them after OS has been clean installed. Instead put installables e.g. ISO, install executables on storage partition instead for easier/faster installation after OS has been clean installed.