Eve

Last response: in Video Games
May 17, 2005 9:29:27 PM

Okay. Finally found a site that gave me a 14-day key without having to sign
up through the site for it. Downloaded the install program 3 times from
Eve's mirror site and it was corrupted all three times. Finally got a
successful download through bittorrent. Failed install about 5 times.
Moved the install file to a different drive. Failed install. Cleaned up
another drive, defrag, rinse repeat, moved install to that drive, successful
install. I have not fired it up yet. Only took three days to get it
installed. I did not want to rush into things.... More details as I have
them.

Quixote

More about : eve

May 18, 2005 1:36:26 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:29:27 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>Okay. Finally found a site that gave me a 14-day key without having to sign
>up through the site for it. Downloaded the install program 3 times from
>Eve's mirror site and it was corrupted all three times. Finally got a
>successful download through bittorrent. Failed install about 5 times.
>Moved the install file to a different drive. Failed install. Cleaned up
>another drive, defrag, rinse repeat, moved install to that drive, successful
>install. I have not fired it up yet. Only took three days to get it
>installed. I did not want to rush into things.... More details as I have
>them.

Since you're an old-school Elite series player, I'll be keen to hear
what you have to say about it.

I'm tempted to download it and give it the ol' 14 day whirl. Time is a
critical factor for me. My schedule is usually pretty tight.

But then, since I was informed this morning that the contract I was
working on ran out of funding as of 2:00pm CST ( I guess with all the
base closings, the Navy is kinda tight with the cash lately ), I
suddenly find myself with a little extra time on my hands. :)

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 8al81dna6cu850b3j7oc7o1qmkp0db0bf@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:29:27 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Okay. Finally found a site that gave me a 14-day key without having to
>>sign
>>up through the site for it. Downloaded the install program 3 times from
>>Eve's mirror site and it was corrupted all three times. Finally got a
>>successful download through bittorrent. Failed install about 5 times.
>>Moved the install file to a different drive. Failed install. Cleaned up
>>another drive, defrag, rinse repeat, moved install to that drive,
>>successful
>>install. I have not fired it up yet. Only took three days to get it
>>installed. I did not want to rush into things.... More details as I have
>>them.
>
> Since you're an old-school Elite series player, I'll be keen to hear
> what you have to say about it.
>
> I'm tempted to download it and give it the ol' 14 day whirl. Time is a
> critical factor for me. My schedule is usually pretty tight.
>
> But then, since I was informed this morning that the contract I was
> working on ran out of funding as of 2:00pm CST ( I guess with all the
> base closings, the Navy is kinda tight with the cash lately ), I
> suddenly find myself with a little extra time on my hands. :)

Well, its all about numbers. There is only very simplistic flight in
third-person view. You get close to whatever and push a button and the
lasers take over. There is no real piloting, so it means that fighting all
comes down to numbers, who ever has the most wins. I could put up with the
leveling part and generating cash if there was some real seat-of-the-pants
flight simulator action, but flight is pretty much choose a location and fly
there per menu driven commands. This is just after completing the tutorial
and messing about for an hour or so. Maybe I am missing something. I will
give it another looking over.

Quixote
May 18, 2005 11:44:06 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> But then, since I was informed this morning that the contract I was
> working on ran out of funding as of 2:00pm CST ( I guess with all the
> base closings, the Navy is kinda tight with the cash lately ), I
> suddenly find myself with a little extra time on my hands. :)

Oh no, our first RIF victim. :(

Our two bases are safe. In fact, the Marine base is going to
absorb some of the folks who are having to leave their current bases.
Yuma Proving Ground is still busy as hell, testing everything
imaginable for desert combat. It's mostly civilian contractors, so let
me know if you get *that* desperate! LOL

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

May 18, 2005 11:44:07 AM

"Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Smeghead wrote:
>> But then, since I was informed this morning that the contract I was
>> working on ran out of funding as of 2:00pm CST ( I guess with all the
>> base closings, the Navy is kinda tight with the cash lately ), I
>> suddenly find myself with a little extra time on my hands. :)
>
> Oh no, our first RIF victim. :(
>
> Our two bases are safe. In fact, the Marine base is going to
> absorb some of the folks who are having to leave their current bases.
> Yuma Proving Ground is still busy as hell, testing everything
> imaginable for desert combat. It's mostly civilian contractors, so let
> me know if you get *that* desperate! LOL

Yep, I guess we are losing Naval Station Ingleside as a neighbor too. It
was used for mine sweeper training mostly, and both my son-in-laws came from
it....

Quixote
May 18, 2005 12:37:52 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 00:57:53 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:o 8al81dna6cu850b3j7oc7o1qmkp0db0bf@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:29:27 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Okay. Finally found a site that gave me a 14-day key without having to
>>>sign
>>>up through the site for it. Downloaded the install program 3 times from
>>>Eve's mirror site and it was corrupted all three times. Finally got a
>>>successful download through bittorrent. Failed install about 5 times.
>>>Moved the install file to a different drive. Failed install. Cleaned up
>>>another drive, defrag, rinse repeat, moved install to that drive,
>>>successful
>>>install. I have not fired it up yet. Only took three days to get it
>>>installed. I did not want to rush into things.... More details as I have
>>>them.
>>
>> Since you're an old-school Elite series player, I'll be keen to hear
>> what you have to say about it.
>>
>> I'm tempted to download it and give it the ol' 14 day whirl. Time is a
>> critical factor for me. My schedule is usually pretty tight.
>>
>> But then, since I was informed this morning that the contract I was
>> working on ran out of funding as of 2:00pm CST ( I guess with all the
>> base closings, the Navy is kinda tight with the cash lately ), I
>> suddenly find myself with a little extra time on my hands. :)
>>

>Well, its all about numbers. There is only very simplistic flight in
>third-person view. You get close to whatever and push a button and the
>lasers take over. There is no real piloting, so it means that fighting all
>comes down to numbers, who ever has the most wins. I could put up with the
>leveling part and generating cash if there was some real seat-of-the-pants
>flight simulator action, but flight is pretty much choose a location and fly
>there per menu driven commands. This is just after completing the tutorial
>and messing about for an hour or so. Maybe I am missing something. I will
>give it another looking over.

Bah...

The uber-realistic physics is what gave Braben's Elite series the fun.

Babylon 5 had my attention as a fan simply because they showed man
populating space with ships that don't BANK like AEROplanes.

I loved the Frontier because you could land on a planet surface, do
the time compression and watch the systems sun rise and set.

Like you pointed out, docking by wire was an accomplishment. In space
everything is relative velocity. To me, the physics and realistic
distances was fun.

When I got Frontier, it was through a friend. I played it and learned
it by trial and error. The first time I plotted a course and jumped
was a revelation!

I'll keep my eye out for further impressions from you. From what I've
read it sounds like the missions and economy are at least as detailed
as Elite.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
May 18, 2005 1:04:10 PM

On 18 May 2005 07:44:06 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> But then, since I was informed this morning that the contract I was
>> working on ran out of funding as of 2:00pm CST ( I guess with all the
>> base closings, the Navy is kinda tight with the cash lately ), I
>> suddenly find myself with a little extra time on my hands. :)
>
> Oh no, our first RIF victim. :(
>
> Our two bases are safe. In fact, the Marine base is going to
>absorb some of the folks who are having to leave their current bases.
> Yuma Proving Ground is still busy as hell, testing everything
>imaginable for desert combat. It's mostly civilian contractors, so let
>me know if you get *that* desperate! LOL

Not a RIF victim as such. At least, not directly.

I am a civilian contractor, which is why I'm dropped. If you look up
"job instability" in a dictionary, you'll see a footnote that reads
"See: Civilian Government Contractor"

The base I was at is growing. Nasa just announced they're moving their
entire administrative facilities there. So I've got friends out there
keeping their ears to the ground for me.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
May 18, 2005 4:24:52 PM

wrote:

>Okay. Finally found a site that gave me a 14-day key without having to sign
>up through the site for it. Downloaded the install program 3 times from
>Eve's mirror site and it was corrupted all three times. Finally got a
>successful download through bittorrent. Failed install about 5 times.
>Moved the install file to a different drive. Failed install. Cleaned up
>another drive, defrag, rinse repeat, moved install to that drive, successful
>install. I have not fired it up yet. Only took three days to get it
>installed. I did not want to rush into things.... More details as I have
>them.

I just downloaded the game and created a character, Smegus Maximus, a
Sebiestor scientist.

For the record, I had absolutely no problems during download, install,
registration of the trial version. Everything went very smoothly on my
end.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D igm81l9vkq4dbmhs43h5kh1s6fka311vd@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 00:57:53 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:o 8al81dna6cu850b3j7oc7o1qmkp0db0bf@4ax.com...

>>> Since you're an old-school Elite series player, I'll be keen to hear
>>> what you have to say about it.
>>>
>>> I'm tempted to download it and give it the ol' 14 day whirl. Time is a
>>> critical factor for me. My schedule is usually pretty tight.
>>>
>>> But then, since I was informed this morning that the contract I was
>>> working on ran out of funding as of 2:00pm CST ( I guess with all the
>>> base closings, the Navy is kinda tight with the cash lately ), I
>>> suddenly find myself with a little extra time on my hands. :)
>>>

>>Well, its all about numbers. There is only very simplistic flight in
>>third-person view. You get close to whatever and push a button and the
>>lasers take over. There is no real piloting, so it means that fighting
>>all
>>comes down to numbers, who ever has the most wins. I could put up with
>>the
>>leveling part and generating cash if there was some real seat-of-the-pants
>>flight simulator action, but flight is pretty much choose a location and
>>fly
>>there per menu driven commands. This is just after completing the
>>tutorial
>>and messing about for an hour or so. Maybe I am missing something. I
>>will
>>give it another looking over.
>
> Bah...
>
> The uber-realistic physics is what gave Braben's Elite series the fun.
>
> Babylon 5 had my attention as a fan simply because they showed man
> populating space with ships that don't BANK like AEROplanes.
>
> I loved the Frontier because you could land on a planet surface, do
> the time compression and watch the systems sun rise and set.
>
> Like you pointed out, docking by wire was an accomplishment. In space
> everything is relative velocity. To me, the physics and realistic
> distances was fun.
>
> When I got Frontier, it was through a friend. I played it and learned
> it by trial and error. The first time I plotted a course and jumped
> was a revelation!
>
> I'll keep my eye out for further impressions from you. From what I've
> read it sounds like the missions and economy are at least as detailed
> as Elite.

The economy is very detailed. You can even take on player created missions.
But I just hate the whole push a button and your combined numbers shoots at
<target's> combined numbers and the highest number wins. No piloting at all
and really no room for strategy. Point of view is from a "camera drone"
outside your ship and I have not found a way to lock it, which bugs me as
you are forever resetting it. I would have much preferred a first-person
view with differing cockpit views. As it is, it's like a taxi in space that
you tell where you want to go and sit back and watch it happen. I need a
space shooter I can fly.

Quixote
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:36:46 PM

Smeghead wrote:
> The uber-realistic physics is what gave Braben's Elite series the fun.
>
> Babylon 5 had my attention as a fan simply because they showed man
> populating space with ships that don't BANK like AEROplanes.

I liked that move in Wing Commander, called something stupid like the
Shelton Slide or something, where you basically maintained velocity but
were able to orient your ship however you pleased.

Basically, space-faring games should be an unholy cross between
something like Homeworld for fleet management and Descent: Freespace for
piloting.

Preferably in the Babylon 5 universe.

> Like you pointed out, docking by wire was an accomplishment. In space
> everything is relative velocity. To me, the physics and realistic
> distances was fun.

Fun can be defined in many ways.

I once dicked around on a MUSH (text-based RPG) where they had an actual
space simulator. Aiming, firing and piloting all revolved on things like
headings and bearings like "314 mark 14" and knowing where, in space,
the enemy was, turning your ship to lead the target and firing at the
appropriate time.

And it was fun, which amazes the hell out of me now.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:32:14 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> Not a RIF victim as such. At least, not directly.
>
> I am a civilian contractor, which is why I'm dropped. If you look up
> "job instability" in a dictionary, you'll see a footnote that reads
> "See: Civilian Government Contractor"
>
> The base I was at is growing. Nasa just announced they're moving their
> entire administrative facilities there. So I've got friends out there
> keeping their ears to the ground for me.

Good stuff- they're always the best source for who's hiring.
So many folks fail their piss test these days that you should get
something fairly soon. ;)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

May 19, 2005 12:34:04 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:29:27 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Okay. Finally found a site that gave me a 14-day key without having
>> to sign up through the site for it. Downloaded the install program
>> 3 times from Eve's mirror site and it was corrupted all three times.
>> Finally got a successful download through bittorrent. Failed
>> install about 5 times. Moved the install file to a different drive.
>> Failed install. Cleaned up another drive, defrag, rinse repeat,
>> moved install to that drive, successful install. I have not fired
>> it up yet. Only took three days to get it installed. I did not
>> want to rush into things.... More details as I have them.
>
> I just downloaded the game and created a character, Smegus Maximus, a
> Sebiestor scientist.
>
> For the record, I had absolutely no problems during download, install,
> registration of the trial version. Everything went very smoothly on my
> end.

Well I'll be damned. I'll keep reading the updates for impressions.

--
>^,,^< Miracle

May 20, 2005 3:43:59 PM

On 18 May 2005 20:34:04 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:29:27 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Okay. Finally found a site that gave me a 14-day key without having
>>> to sign up through the site for it. Downloaded the install program
>>> 3 times from Eve's mirror site and it was corrupted all three times.
>>> Finally got a successful download through bittorrent. Failed
>>> install about 5 times. Moved the install file to a different drive.
>>> Failed install. Cleaned up another drive, defrag, rinse repeat,
>>> moved install to that drive, successful install. I have not fired
>>> it up yet. Only took three days to get it installed. I did not
>>> want to rush into things.... More details as I have them.
>>
>> I just downloaded the game and created a character, Smegus Maximus, a
>> Sebiestor scientist.
>>
>> For the record, I had absolutely no problems during download, install,
>> registration of the trial version. Everything went very smoothly on my
>> end.
>

> Well I'll be damned. I'll keep reading the updates for impressions.

Well, aside from a lack of really hands on flight physics, it
certainly is beautiful, extremely detailed.

The economy, as Q noted, is very rich and detailed. There is a variety
of ways to earn a living. Smuggling, running refugees, mining, killing
bounties, being a pirate...

While not as fulfilling as it COULD be, (were they to do an almost
total rip of David Braben's Elite games)

I think you'd like it, Miracle. The real meat of the game is the
economy and capitalism. The social aspect of a corporation would make
it more fun too, but right now I'm on my own, other than Quix being in
game with me.

We tried to get ship to ship in the same space, but we were unable to
fly to each other safely.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
May 20, 2005 3:47:16 PM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:31:39 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

[chir-clip]

>The economy is very detailed. You can even take on player created missions.
>But I just hate the whole push a button and your combined numbers shoots at
><target's> combined numbers and the highest number wins. No piloting at all
>and really no room for strategy. Point of view is from a "camera drone"
>outside your ship and I have not found a way to lock it, which bugs me as
>you are forever resetting it. I would have much preferred a first-person
>view with differing cockpit views. As it is, it's like a taxi in space that
>you tell where you want to go and sit back and watch it happen. I need a
>space shooter I can fly.

The realistic physics and hands-on piloting is sorely missing. I have
to agree.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

Smeghead wrote:
> Well, aside from a lack of really hands on flight physics, it
> certainly is beautiful, extremely detailed.
>
> The economy, as Q noted, is very rich and detailed. There is a variety
> of ways to earn a living. Smuggling, running refugees, mining, killing
> bounties, being a pirate...
>
> While not as fulfilling as it COULD be, (were they to do an almost
> total rip of David Braben's Elite games)
>
> I think you'd like it, Miracle. The real meat of the game is the
> economy and capitalism. The social aspect of a corporation would make
> it more fun too, but right now I'm on my own, other than Quix being in
> game with me.
>
> We tried to get ship to ship in the same space, but we were unable to
> fly to each other safely.

Okay, tell me again where to go download it- if it installs with
little trouble, I'll try to join in the fun. :D

May 21, 2005 11:28:38 AM

On 21 May 2005 07:28:37 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> Well, aside from a lack of really hands on flight physics, it
>> certainly is beautiful, extremely detailed.
>>
>> The economy, as Q noted, is very rich and detailed. There is a variety
>> of ways to earn a living. Smuggling, running refugees, mining, killing
>> bounties, being a pirate...
>>
>> While not as fulfilling as it COULD be, (were they to do an almost
>> total rip of David Braben's Elite games)
>>
>> I think you'd like it, Miracle. The real meat of the game is the
>> economy and capitalism. The social aspect of a corporation would make
>> it more fun too, but right now I'm on my own, other than Quix being in
>> game with me.
>>
>> We tried to get ship to ship in the same space, but we were unable to
>> fly to each other safely.
>

> Okay, tell me again where to go download it- if it installs with
>little trouble, I'll try to join in the fun. :D

I had to register with www.gamepsot.com and downloaded it after the
fact without a hitch or hamper. Evidently they're an official sponsor.

Registration with g-spot is simple and not a huge hassle. They don't
want your shoe size and number of fillings.

Last night was cool. Quix and I met ship to ship after I had run some
nukes to a border zone faction. Since I'm in a small ore hauler, and
he's in a light fighter, he covered me when I was mining.

He made much, much shorter work of the NPC bandit that showed up
almost immediately than I could have. The tiny ship I had is only
equipped with "Civilian" grade gattling cannons.

The less secure the system (Rated 1.0 for most secure to 0.0 for
least) the higher the rewards for mining. The rarer the minerals. Risk
= reward.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

> Smeghead wrote:
>> Well, aside from a lack of really hands on flight physics, it
>> certainly is beautiful, extremely detailed.
>>
>> The economy, as Q noted, is very rich and detailed. There is a variety
>> of ways to earn a living. Smuggling, running refugees, mining, killing
>> bounties, being a pirate...
>>
>> While not as fulfilling as it COULD be, (were they to do an almost
>> total rip of David Braben's Elite games)
>>
>> I think you'd like it, Miracle. The real meat of the game is the
>> economy and capitalism. The social aspect of a corporation would make
>> it more fun too, but right now I'm on my own, other than Quix being in
>> game with me.
>>
>> We tried to get ship to ship in the same space, but we were unable to
>> fly to each other safely.
>

> Okay, tell me again where to go download it- if it installs with
> little trouble, I'll try to join in the fun. :D

Here is a place for a key without any sign up.

http://hosted.warcry.com/eve_trial_pass/claim.phtml

Download here:

http://www.eve-online.com/download/

Quixote
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 8:01:36 PM

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message

> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> Smeghead wrote:
>>> Well, aside from a lack of really hands on flight physics, it
>>> certainly is beautiful, extremely detailed.
>>>
>>> The economy, as Q noted, is very rich and detailed. There is a variety
>>> of ways to earn a living. Smuggling, running refugees, mining, killing
>>> bounties, being a pirate...
>>>
>>> While not as fulfilling as it COULD be, (were they to do an almost
>>> total rip of David Braben's Elite games)
>>>
>>> I think you'd like it, Miracle. The real meat of the game is the
>>> economy and capitalism. The social aspect of a corporation would make
>>> it more fun too, but right now I'm on my own, other than Quix being in
>>> game with me.
>>>
>>> We tried to get ship to ship in the same space, but we were unable to
>>> fly to each other safely.
>>

>> Okay, tell me again where to go download it- if it installs with
>> little trouble, I'll try to join in the fun. :D
>
> Here is a place for a key without any sign up.
>
> http://hosted.warcry.com/eve_trial_pass/claim.phtml
>
> Download here:
>
> http://www.eve-online.com/download/
>
> Quixote

You ought to consult with Smeg about race and such so you start up near his
location, cause it can be a bugger getting around.

Quixote
May 22, 2005 4:38:39 AM

On Sat, 21 May 2005 16:01:36 -0500, "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com>
wrote:

>"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in message

>>> Okay, tell me again where to go download it- if it installs with
>>> little trouble, I'll try to join in the fun. :D
>>
>> Here is a place for a key without any sign up.
>>
>> http://hosted.warcry.com/eve_trial_pass/claim.phtml
>>
>> Download here:
>>
>> http://www.eve-online.com/download/
>>
>> Quixote
>>

>You ought to consult with Smeg about race and such so you start up near his
>location, cause it can be a bugger getting around.

I chose my race based on the description. It said something about
being a Tribal race. So I figured, hey, tribes! Why not?

I'm a Minmatar.

Of the Sebiestor bloodline.

I'm bald.

I'm tattooed.

My name is Smegus Maximus.

Look me up, bay-bee!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

Smeghead wrote:
> I had to register with www.gamepsot.com and downloaded it after the
> fact without a hitch or hamper. Evidently they're an official sponsor.
>
> Registration with g-spot is simple and not a huge hassle. They don't
> want your shoe size and number of fillings.
>
> Last night was cool. Quix and I met ship to ship after I had run some
> nukes to a border zone faction. Since I'm in a small ore hauler, and
> he's in a light fighter, he covered me when I was mining.
>
> He made much, much shorter work of the NPC bandit that showed up
> almost immediately than I could have. The tiny ship I had is only
> equipped with "Civilian" grade gattling cannons.
>
> The less secure the system (Rated 1.0 for most secure to 0.0 for
> least) the higher the rewards for mining. The rarer the minerals. Risk
> = reward.

Okay, looks like Monday afternoon is when I'll be able to go and
get it. If I have any trouble, I'll holler in here. Email on this laptop is still
an iffy proposition for some reason.

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

May 22, 2005 11:32:55 AM

Quixote wrote:
> Here is a place for a key without any sign up.
>
> http://hosted.warcry.com/eve_trial_pass/claim.phtml
>
> Download here:
>
> http://www.eve-online.com/download/
>
> Quixote

Hey, more better! Thanks dude!

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

May 22, 2005 11:32:56 AM

Quixote wrote:
> You ought to consult with Smeg about race and such so you start up
> near his location, cause it can be a bugger getting around.

Oh say, that's good thinking!! Will do, and thanks for thinking
of that!

Hmmmm, someone needs to disable my exclamation point again....

--
>^,,^< Miracle

May 22, 2005 3:06:40 PM

On 22 May 2005 07:32:53 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> I had to register with www.gamepsot.com and downloaded it after the
>> fact without a hitch or hamper. Evidently they're an official sponsor.
>>
>> Registration with g-spot is simple and not a huge hassle. They don't
>> want your shoe size and number of fillings.
>>
>> Last night was cool. Quix and I met ship to ship after I had run some
>> nukes to a border zone faction. Since I'm in a small ore hauler, and
>> he's in a light fighter, he covered me when I was mining.
>>
>> He made much, much shorter work of the NPC bandit that showed up
>> almost immediately than I could have. The tiny ship I had is only
>> equipped with "Civilian" grade gattling cannons.
>>
>> The less secure the system (Rated 1.0 for most secure to 0.0 for
>> least) the higher the rewards for mining. The rarer the minerals. Risk
>> = reward.
>

> Okay, looks like Monday afternoon is when I'll be able to go and
>get it. If I have any trouble, I'll holler in here. Email on this laptop is still
>an iffy proposition for some reason.

Let us know who you are! We'll hook ya up! Like I said, I'm Smegus
Maximus and Q is Seveldt. I made an in-game mailing list and put
Seveldt as an admin on it. There are all kinds of ways to communicate,
but the main way is an IRC like chat window. Complete with character
avatar.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

> On 22 May 2005 07:32:53 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Smeghead wrote:
>>> I had to register with www.gamepsot.com and downloaded it after the
>>> fact without a hitch or hamper. Evidently they're an official sponsor.
>>>
>>> Registration with g-spot is simple and not a huge hassle. They don't
>>> want your shoe size and number of fillings.
>>>
>>> Last night was cool. Quix and I met ship to ship after I had run some
>>> nukes to a border zone faction. Since I'm in a small ore hauler, and
>>> he's in a light fighter, he covered me when I was mining.
>>>
>>> He made much, much shorter work of the NPC bandit that showed up
>>> almost immediately than I could have. The tiny ship I had is only
>>> equipped with "Civilian" grade gattling cannons.
>>>
>>> The less secure the system (Rated 1.0 for most secure to 0.0 for
>>> least) the higher the rewards for mining. The rarer the minerals. Risk
>>> = reward.
>>

>> Okay, looks like Monday afternoon is when I'll be able to go and
>>get it. If I have any trouble, I'll holler in here. Email on this laptop
>>is still
>>an iffy proposition for some reason.
>
> Let us know who you are! We'll hook ya up! Like I said, I'm Smegus
> Maximus and Q is Seveldt. I made an in-game mailing list and put
> Seveldt as an admin on it. There are all kinds of ways to communicate,
> but the main way is an IRC like chat window. Complete with character
> avatar.

The IRC channel we use is AGST Crew. :^)

Quixote
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 3:42:13 AM

Quixote's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
were:
> The IRC channel we use is AGST Crew. :^)

what server is the channel on?
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 11:02:51 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> On 22 May 2005 07:32:53 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
> wrote:
>> Okay, looks like Monday afternoon is when I'll be able to go and
>> get it. If I have any trouble, I'll holler in here. Email on this
>> laptop is still an iffy proposition for some reason.
>
> Let us know who you are! We'll hook ya up! Like I said, I'm Smegus
> Maximus and Q is Seveldt. I made an in-game mailing list and put
> Seveldt as an admin on it. There are all kinds of ways to communicate,
> but the main way is an IRC like chat window. Complete with character
> avatar.

Okie dokie! Here's an important question (for me)-
does one use the keyboard or a mouse to manuever?
If it's keyboard, I'll be better off playing on the desktop.

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

May 23, 2005 11:03:34 AM

> The IRC channel we use is AGST Crew. :^)
>
> Quixote

<scribbles> Got it! :)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

May 23, 2005 11:56:04 AM

On 23 May 2005 07:02:51 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> On 22 May 2005 07:32:53 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Okay, looks like Monday afternoon is when I'll be able to go and
>>> get it. If I have any trouble, I'll holler in here. Email on this
>>> laptop is still an iffy proposition for some reason.
>>
>> Let us know who you are! We'll hook ya up! Like I said, I'm Smegus
>> Maximus and Q is Seveldt. I made an in-game mailing list and put
>> Seveldt as an admin on it. There are all kinds of ways to communicate,
>> but the main way is an IRC like chat window. Complete with character
>> avatar.
>
> Okie dokie! Here's an important question (for me)-
>does one use the keyboard or a mouse to manuever?
>If it's keyboard, I'll be better off playing on the desktop.

It's basically mouse all the way. You click on a base or ship. From
there you can right click or left click for the interfaces. Easy.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

"Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in news:11922krncndt339
@corp.supernews.com:

> The IRC channel we use is AGST Crew. :^)

Ok, how do you get a space in a channel name? With Chatzilla? It wants to
connect to channel agst with password crew.
Anonymous
May 23, 2005 8:22:39 PM

"ScratchMonkey" <ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote in message
> "Quixote" <quixote@writeme.com> wrote in news:11922krncndt339
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
>> The IRC channel we use is AGST Crew. :^)
>
> Ok, how do you get a space in a channel name? With Chatzilla? It wants to
> connect to channel agst with password crew.

Like I told Hellmark, its an in-game IRC. I have no idea if its accessible
outside of game.

Quixote
May 23, 2005 10:55:47 PM

Hey, Quix! I got podkilled in an 0.5 sector. Grrr...

This guy was in a freaking BATTLESHIP and fired on me, it ate through
my shields, hull and structure so fast that I didn't have a chance to
reinforce my shields or bring my 120mm cannons online.

Then, before I could even warp away in my escape pod, he PK'd that
too.

No warning, no reason. Not even a shakedown for ISK's. He wanted to
kill someone. And I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Thing that hurts is I had insured my previous ship, not the one he
blew up. In the back of my mind I thought I had insurance. Nope. :(

Wait, it gets worse.

I had also accepted a courier mission. I had put up 1.4 million ISK as
collateral!

Now here's the other bad news. I learned AFTER the fact that you can
buy a clone that's enhanced. So when you die, you don't lose
experience.

I had no enhanced clone back at home base. So now, my guy has to learn
frigate piloting to level three again.

Oh well, die and learn, I guess. :)

Still, it's fun!

When you getting into it, Miracle?!

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

> Hey, Quix! I got podkilled in an 0.5 sector. Grrr...
>
> This guy was in a freaking BATTLESHIP and fired on me, it ate through
> my shields, hull and structure so fast that I didn't have a chance to
> reinforce my shields or bring my 120mm cannons online.
>
> Then, before I could even warp away in my escape pod, he PK'd that
> too.
>
> No warning, no reason. Not even a shakedown for ISK's. He wanted to
> kill someone. And I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
>
> Thing that hurts is I had insured my previous ship, not the one he
> blew up. In the back of my mind I thought I had insurance. Nope. :(
>
> Wait, it gets worse.
>
> I had also accepted a courier mission. I had put up 1.4 million ISK as
> collateral!
>
> Now here's the other bad news. I learned AFTER the fact that you can
> buy a clone that's enhanced. So when you die, you don't lose
> experience.
>
> I had no enhanced clone back at home base. So now, my guy has to learn
> frigate piloting to level three again.
>
> Oh well, die and learn, I guess. :)
>
> Still, it's fun!
>
> When you getting into it, Miracle?!

Oh man. I have been dreading the first time that happens. I did know about
the clone and I only have the one ship to insure, and it is to the hilt.
Not just the usual respawn like other games huh?

Quixote
Anonymous
May 24, 2005 10:07:22 AM

Miracle Smith wrote:
> Okay, looks like Monday afternoon is when I'll be able to go and
> get it.

Well, on to Alternate Plan Tuesday. Time just didn't
work out in my favor today. :(  Now I'm too tired
to think.

<big sigh>

May 24, 2005 10:09:50 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> It's basically mouse all the way. You click on a base or ship. From
> there you can right click or left click for the interfaces. Easy.

Oh way cool! I can d/l it to this laptop!

May 24, 2005 10:12:53 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> When you getting into it, Miracle?!

Well, I already warned Ross that tomorrow afternoon is
MY time, so let's see just how afeered he is of my wrath. ;)

May 25, 2005 3:26:08 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> Still, it's fun!
>
> When you getting into it, Miracle?!

So how long've you been playing, now?
May 25, 2005 3:41:54 AM

On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:26:08 +0200, Frank van Schie
<frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> Still, it's fun!
>>
>> When you getting into it, Miracle?!
>>

>So how long've you been playing, now?
4 days, I think...

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

Smeghead wrote:
> Frank van Schie wrote:
>> Smeghead wrote:
>>> Still, it's fun!
>>> When you getting into it, Miracle?!
>>
>> So how long've you been playing, now?
>
> 4 days, I think...

/me pounds table in frustration

May 25, 2005 4:47:05 PM

Quix,

Have you tried mucking about with all the various filters in the EVE
world map? You can have it show you systems with the most podkills in
the past 60 minutes. Really helpful if there's a gate camper in your
intended path.

I've been podkilled twice now! The second time didn't hurt as much as
the first since I've bought insurance on my ship and upgraded my
clone.

However, I *am* more cautious about my routes now and study the map
carefully before jumping.

Look before you leap! Hehehe

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
Anonymous

> Quix,
>
> Have you tried mucking about with all the various filters in the EVE
> world map? You can have it show you systems with the most podkills in
> the past 60 minutes. Really helpful if there's a gate camper in your
> intended path.
>
> I've been podkilled twice now! The second time didn't hurt as much as
> the first since I've bought insurance on my ship and upgraded my
> clone.
>
> However, I *am* more cautious about my routes now and study the map
> carefully before jumping.
>
> Look before you leap! Hehehe

I had not seen that. I have not been on much in the past couple of days
though, been too busy. Just logging on to keep skills earning.

Quixote
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 11:21:50 AM

Smeghead wrote:
> Speaking of video games, have you all seen the goddamn rediculously
> delicious specs of the Xbox 360 and PS3?
>
> 2.18 TERA-freakin-flops for the PS3... Jeez, 10 years ago, that was
> tippity top line supercomputing.

Sheeeeeit- I just saw a Canon commercial for an *8*
megapixel camera. When they get to 10 megapixels, I
just might part with my Mavicas........

--
> ^,,^< Miracle, a lifetime [LD], DkAngel,
and a self-declared propeller head. Hah!
(More like ha ha ha!)

May 26, 2005 11:28:10 AM

> You should be receiving a care package from me soon. It was mailed
> last Saturday.
>
> Quixote

<biggrin> Already got it, put it to work, and some stuff ready
to send back your way. With "Thank You's" included! :)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle, the 133t H4XX0r LOL

May 26, 2005 4:39:10 PM

Miracle Smith's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his
body were:
> Smeghead wrote:
>> Speaking of video games, have you all seen the goddamn rediculously
>> delicious specs of the Xbox 360 and PS3?
>> 2.18 TERA-freakin-flops for the PS3... Jeez, 10 years ago, that was
>> tippity top line supercomputing.
> Sheeeeeit- I just saw a Canon commercial for an *8*
> megapixel camera. When they get to 10 megapixels, I
> just might part with my Mavicas........

Didnt someone just say that someone came out with a 16 megapixel camera?
Probably uberexpensive though
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 10:39:05 PM

On 26 May 2005 07:21:50 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> Sheeeeeit- I just saw a Canon commercial for an *8*
> megapixel camera. When they get to 10 megapixels, I
> just might part with my Mavicas........

Try and find some sample results of the 8MP Canon... you might be
surprised. :)

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

Miracle Smith wrote:
> Smeghead wrote:
>
>>Speaking of video games, have you all seen the goddamn rediculously
>>delicious specs of the Xbox 360 and PS3?
>>
>>2.18 TERA-freakin-flops for the PS3... Jeez, 10 years ago, that was
>>tippity top line supercomputing.
>
> Sheeeeeit- I just saw a Canon commercial for an *8*
> megapixel camera. When they get to 10 megapixels, I
> just might part with my Mavicas........

There are 16megapixel camera's out there, presumably for Bill Gates to
spend his wealth on.

Be wary of diminishing returns. At about that range, one or two more
megapixels only add very small bars to the picture.
--
Frank
Anonymous

On Thu, 26 May 2005 19:21:19 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:

> There are 16megapixel camera's out there, presumably for Bill Gates to
> spend his wealth on.

That'll be the rather nice Canon EOS 1DS mk2. Only £6,000 for the body
alone. :)

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)
Anonymous
May 27, 2005 10:36:32 AM

Frank van Schie wrote:
> Miracle Smith wrote:
>> Smeghead wrote:
>>
>>> Speaking of video games, have you all seen the goddamn rediculously
>>> delicious specs of the Xbox 360 and PS3?
>>>
>>> 2.18 TERA-freakin-flops for the PS3... Jeez, 10 years ago, that was
>>> tippity top line supercomputing.
>>
>> Sheeeeeit- I just saw a Canon commercial for an *8*
>> megapixel camera. When they get to 10 megapixels, I
>> just might part with my Mavicas........
>
> There are 16megapixel camera's out there, presumably for Bill Gates to
> spend his wealth on.
>
> Be wary of diminishing returns. At about that range, one or two more
> megapixels only add very small bars to the picture.

So if you had the money, what would you buy right now?
I see a lot of 4 megapixels now, but no 6's. And at what range
would you not buy?

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

May 27, 2005 10:45:15 AM

Mr K wrote:
> On 26 May 2005 07:21:50 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>
>> Sheeeeeit- I just saw a Canon commercial for an *8*
>> megapixel camera. When they get to 10 megapixels, I
>> just might part with my Mavicas........
>
> Try and find some sample results of the 8MP Canon... you might be
> surprised. :)

Yeah, Frank just said something similar. At which range
would you buy? 6 megapixels?

--
>^,,^< Miracle

May 27, 2005 10:53:53 AM

On 27 May 2005 06:45:15 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Mr K wrote:
>> On 26 May 2005 07:21:50 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Sheeeeeit- I just saw a Canon commercial for an *8*
>>> megapixel camera. When they get to 10 megapixels, I
>>> just might part with my Mavicas........
>>
>> Try and find some sample results of the 8MP Canon... you might be
>> surprised. :)
>
> Yeah, Frank just said something similar. At which range
>would you buy? 6 megapixels?

I stuck a picture I took over in agst2. That's a cropped 5mp image.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--
!