Ripudio

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
So, yet another in the massive clusterf*** of people crying out, "Tell me what to doooooo, for the love of God!!!" So here it goes:

I've never built an Intel Computer, but I'm sure the mechanics of it are just like an AMD since all of...nothing really changes.

- I plan on overclocking as much as I can.
- I also plan on buying another graphics card and running it in Crossfire.
- I'm getting a p35 chipset because I think 4 sata ports is far too little.
- I'm getting Intel because I think it will last longer than AMD as far as upgradability in the future.

With those caveats being stated, here goes:

Case: Lancool PC-K7B
PSU: Ultra X3 1000W (Yeah, its overkill, yeah, I got a good deal on it)
HDD: Seagate 7200.11 500GB Sata 3.0 (I'will be getting another, and then maybe another, and another)
DVD: Samsung something or other, its black, it burns dvds

Those are kind of the...basics, the following is where I get a little fuzzy.

Proposed Components:
Motherboard: GA-EP35-DS3P (p35 chipset)
CPU: Intel e8400 Wolfdale
HSF: Thermalright Extreme 120
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2 1066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069
Video Card: Diamond HD 3870 512MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103050

My main questions are:

Should I get 2x2gb DDR2 1066 (or even 800, to save some money)?
If I do get 2x2gb of DDR21066, who the heck makes them with Micron d9s, because crucial doesn't have 2gb sticks of DDR2 1066.
Should I just get the e8200?

Feel free to call me idiotic, a moron, a noob, give comments, suggestions, criticism, I'm not *that* knowledgable but I am hoping to learn more.

Get a GA-EX38-DS4. It's not much more expensive than the DS3P and it's better for Crossfire (because it runs both cards at x16) and for overclocking (better fsb).

Samsung SH-S203B, or maybe SH-S203N if you think you'll ever want to use LightScribe.

No clue about LanCool. Any special reason? Why not go with a full-tower? It would be good, since you want 2 video cards and lots of hard disks and overclocking. Anyway, look at the RC-690 too, see if you like that one more.

You need a fan for the Thermalright. I suggest Scythe SFF21F.

Rather than four 500 GB drives, why not get three 750 GB drives? It might be cheaper, and it's better for cooling. Look at Seagate's 7200.11 series and also at the WD7500AAKS or WD6400AAKS. My WD7500AAKS drives are extremely fast, major improvement over the WD5000AAKS I had before. I still have both types and it's easy to see differences.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
A P35 motherboard will be obsolete by the end of the year. if you want "better" future upgradability either wait for the next intel socket or buy an AM2+ board instead. If you want a faster computer NOW then stick with the P35 motherboard.

Ummm, actually, yes, AMD is the one with better upgradability these days, not Intel. I missed that part completely.

@OP: of course, AM2+ board means an AMD CPU too, like Phenom or X2.

Ripudio

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Thanks for the quick responses! I had no idea AMD was more stable as far as sockets now, it seemed like they were on the fence when I bought my computer last year so I thought everything was about the same (stupid assumption). I will definitely check out AM2+ boards now that I know. And I think I did buy the SH-S203N.

Any ideas as to RAM, it seems like Micron D9s are the way to go as far as overclocking, but I don't know where to find out which companies use them.