MF570SLI + 8800 GTS

KrAzDHeretic

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I've been having a problem lately and no one seems to have a clue what I'm talking about and has never heard of the problem before either, including tech support. I am running a home built computer which has the Epox MF570SLI board mother board. I used to have the 7600 GTS card for the longest time and everything worked fine. Then when I switched to the 8800 GTS card and the computer will freeze entirely out of now where. My mom had the same problem and when she unplugged her mouse it unfroze and all was fine. When I do it, nothing. Also when i force restart(because its fully frozen) my monitor doesn't even recieve a signal from the computer and it takes about 30 mins of fiddling and unplugging to get it to work again. Anyone heard of this problem? I feel like its either the board or the card but I can't find any compatability issues. I also get this problem when I plug in my headphones while the computer is on. But here are the complete hardware specs.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

EPoX EP-MF570SLI Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

GeIL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory x3

Ativa USB Optical Mouse (in case it is the mouse?)

Rosewill RK250 Black 108 Normal Keys 8 media keys Function Keys PS/2 Wired multi-media Keyboard

Acer AL1916WAbd Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1

Can't imagine anything else would matter hardware wise. Running windows xP SP 2 all updates installed, most recent update for video card as well and most recent direct x etc etc.

Thanks again for looking and trying to help me figure this damn thing out. I don't mind buying another part or a new piece of hardware but I'd like to make sure I buy one that makes a difference. Thanks again =)

LukeBird

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
What power supply do you have and what sort of cooling fans do you have in the case?
Sounds like either the card isn't getting enough juice from the PSU or the card isn't getting sufficient cooling and throttling to a point that kills Windows.

KrAzDHeretic

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
My power supply is 480w made by powerspec which was enough for my previous build with the other video card but I'm not sure how much a 8800gts card pulls, I'm assuming a lot considering it needs direct connection to the supply itself so it could be a power problem. I wish I knew a way to add it all up as it's not often written down how much power stuff takes. Also I have only a cpu fan and a back fan on the inside but it's an open case so airflow couldn't be better. I don't have an actual temp readout for my graphics card but i can touch it and not get burned so it's sufficiently below 40C.

Latest posts