Keep in mind, these were all done using a faulty mobo/components on a not yet fully tuned chip, not enabling everything that this chip can do. Im thinking a 40% bump overall > than Penryn

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
What i find most impressive is the way they passed AMD who had a multiple-year headstart with it's on-die memory controller.
I'm curious to see how AMD will catch up with that, if they can catch up at all.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
^ Seriously if Intel goes any faster there will be no AMD. I think AMD should combine with nvidia and VIA to become a super-company! then Intel shall have some trouble...

four cores, at minimal power consumption! (but alas we have an experience index of 1...) I wanna ditch my Athlon!!!

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

I hope so since even a slow clocked Nehalem will destroy anything quad-like. The other possibility is, that prices remain as they are and a Nehalem will, once released, cost an arm and a leg... and then some.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Then again, given the prices of DDR3, intel has to make the platform itself attractive and affordable. So maybe we really see some dropping prices.

edit: Wow, instead of editing my previous post i obviously hit the reply button. I'm really turning into a posterboy for Post-whoring.

Nehalem pricing will be steepr than weve seen lately, unless you buy the non oc version, which will still be costly. I think Intels deciding whats good for us, mentoring us, so we realize how good we have it.

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
We should get together and start a vasoline saving fund to help a certain processor company in its darkest hour...

Update: I've decided that if need be I'll administer the fund...

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006

Well, when i'm done buying and assembling a complete Phenom platform somewhere in 2009, i will sponsor the change i get back from the 100$ i planned to invest on it. Should be roughly 60$+ for the fund.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Nehalem looks awesome.
I guess it will be priced in the "skulltrail region" for early adopters. :D

I think by 2015 we'll have CPUs the price of a small city car, AMD will be history and NVIDIA will be in AMDs current position in the graphics market.

Intel world domination is next.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
@JDocs
I'm in with my yearly supply of catnip and my old AMD singlecore (how I wish I bought an s939 X2 :( last November) SLI capable system.

@jaydeejohn
No. Area51 has those already, but they won't let Alienware sell it. :D
Joke aside, that sounds like Altera's STRATIX with a PowerPC and onboard FPGA.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Intel Skynet: More than you can imagine...

p7389

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
I want to wait, but it would be... a year, or so, until it's affordable for me. So I guess the socket775 system in August is still on...

TRENDING THREADS