night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
something strange i noticed just today!

i have my q6600 clocked at 3GHz for more than a year. when i used to monitor my temps. they will never cross the 60C limit (using primer95). n i would idle around 45/46.

today, for some reason, i decided to prime it again, and my temp shoot up to 79C!! and while gaming (supreme commander) my temp reached 65C. and right now, im ideling with 50C.

so, i would like to know what happened. how come the temps are shooting up so high now. and what shall i do regarding this.

P.S the temp in the room has kinda increased, since the air/con is not working right anymore. and i cant know the exact temp in the room. although, the weather in my city showing a max reading of 30C.

shabaa

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
There is a direct correlation between ambient temperatures and air cooled processor temps...

You also may want to clean off the old thermal paste and put on some high quality stuff on it.... Arctic Silver... etc....

At the same time you can make sure that you processor is properly seated….

CompuTronix

Intel Master
A Zalman 9700 can collect a considerable amount of dust in a year. It's best to open your case every 3 months to conduct a visual inspection and remove any dust which has accumulated on the cooler fins and elsewhere.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
@computronix:

ya, what you said is true. ill do clean up my cooler and i would apply new Thermal paste.

but i have a question. i have seen your temp guide before. but i read it again today. so by writing a guide, you are actually telling us that the temp shown by speedfan/coretemp aint accurate. but the real temp of the cpu is something else, that we have to calibrate?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I wrote the Guide 2 years ago to eliminate confusion, and to help users understand this complex topic, no thanks to Intel. I've kept the Guide updated, but since it hasn't reached everyone, there are still several common misconceptions, so let's clear up two of the biggies right now.

■The Thermal Specification shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder is CPU temperature not Core temperature.

■Temperatures are seldom accurate out of the box, so if you want accuracy, calibrations are always prudent.

Although sensor accuracy is somewhat reasonable on some of the original 65nm Core 2 processors, as well as the new 45nm Core i7 processors, many of the 45nm Core 2 processors have very sloppy sensor accuracy.

The following is a quote from the author of Real Temp, Kevin Glynn, taken from the 126 page Real Temp thread over at XtremeSystems. I can't write a better summary concerning the accuracy of Intel's Digital Thermal Sensors:

"We're all confused, even Intel.

The official word is that the TJ Target for an E8500 E0 is 100C. TJMax may be equal to the TJ Target if Intel was having a good day on the production line or it might be slightly higher if your chip was built on a Friday.

The bottom line is that TJMax is not a fixed value like we were all hoping for and Intel confirmed that in their presentations last year if you look at their graphs. There is some variation in that number but Intel never said exactly how much variation there is. With the 45nm Core 2 chips, not only is there some TJMax variation from one E8500 to another E8500 but there can also be TJMax variation from one core to the other. This becomes very obvious when you start looking at the 45nm Quad processors. There's so much random variation in these sensors that finding 4 of them all in agreement is close to impossible.

This is the reason why Intel has never recommended using these sensors to report accurate core temperatures. My opinion is that as long as your sensors are not sticking, most of them can be calibrated / adjusted to report some reasonably accurate core temperatures.

If your sensors aren't sticking at lower temperatures then the best thing you can do is compare your reported temperatures to your room temperature with your case open. rge did some extensive testing and found a relationship that seems pretty accurate and gives you something to shoot for when calibrating. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...postcount=2429

Use TJMax=100C as your default but you might find one core that is a little higher than that. Post a CPU Cool Down Test. It can help show differences in the temperature slopes of your sensors, differences in TJMax as well as if any of your sensors are getting stuck."

Well said!

Comp :sol:

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
alright dont mind me. but here are things which i kinda getting confused.

"The Thermal Specification shown in Intel's Processor Spec Finder is CPU temperature not Core temperature. "

from your guide
"Intel provides complete specifications for Tcase (CPU temperature), but only partial specifications for Tjunction (Core temperature)"

From intel
"Thermal Specification: The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. For processors without integrated heat spreaders such as mobile processors, the thermal specification is referred to as the junction temperature (Tj). The maximum junction temperature is defined by an activation of the processor Intel® Thermal Monitor. The Intel Thermal Monitor’s automatic mode is used to indicate that the maximum TJ has been reached."

they (intel) said 71c for Q6600 for CPU temp (Tcase). this means, that from your guide, if my Tjunction are 76C (since there is almost 5c difference). it is at the border of safe side. i mean if it is (Tjunction) <76C then we are save.

ehem, ya i didnt calbirate yet, but im on it. so i wanna build up my theory information right.

P.S im sorry, ya, what i concluded was right, there was no need for me to ask you.
"Scale 2: Quad
Q9x50: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping E0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q9x50: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping C1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q9400: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping R0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q9300: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping M1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q8x00: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping R0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q8200: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping M1, TDP 95W, Idle 16W
Q6x00: Tcase Max 71c, Stepping G0, TDP 95W, Idle 16W

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--75--75--75--75-- Hot
--65--/--70--70--70--70-- Warm
--60--/--65--65--65--65-- Safe
--25--/--30--30--30--30-- Cool "

now i need a thermostat. and start calibrating my readings. :)