Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Convert USB thumb drive to internal HDD?

Tags:
  • Flash Media
  • Laptops
  • USB
  • Hard Drives
  • USB Drive
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
Share
July 20, 2009 2:15:59 PM

Does anyone make an adaptor to convert a USB thumb drive to an internal HDD? I need to replace my laptop's dead hdd (40GB 2.5" 44-pin ide). Rather than get a new 2.5" hdd, I want like to plug a 32GB or 64GB usb 2.0 thumb drive into my laptop's hdd bay instead.

The right USB 2.0 thumb drive can be cheaper, smaller, faster (max 60MB/s), quicker (low latency), cooler, and less power hungry than laptop hdds. This could breath some new life into my old laptop.

I really like the idea of easy file transfer too. I could pull it out of the laptop hdd bay and plug it into other computer's USB port to copy files back and forth.

I am sure someone else has thought of this before. I can't be the only one who seems the upside of such an adaptor. There are plenty of adaptors to turn an internal HDD into a USB external drive, so why not the other way around?

Any help would be appreciated.

More about : convert usb thumb drive internal hdd

July 20, 2009 3:22:33 PM

Why do you need the adapter? The only advantage, I suppose, would be accidentally unplugging the drive from the USB port while in use. On the other hand, if you wanted to swap files like you said, you'd have to dig into the laptops hard drive bay to get the drive.

Score
0
September 20, 2009 11:41:32 AM

I want the same adaptor for exactly the same reasons. I have found that I can operate my laptop with a dead Hard Drive on an external USB stick provided I remove the hard drive first. This would be fine except that the connection to the USB drive through any of the three external USB ports is erratic and this makes it less portable since even slight movement disrupts the os (ubuntu).

Does anyone know of such an adaptor?

Peter
Score
0
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 415 G Storage
September 20, 2009 4:18:44 PM

justincranford said:
The right USB 2.0 thumb drive can be cheaper, smaller, faster (max 60MB/s), quicker (low latency), cooler, and less power hungry than laptop hdds. This could breath some new life into my old laptop.
I think you're going to find that a USB flash drive is pretty slow. It does have an advantage of seek time, but the USB protocol itself adds a fair bit of latency and in real devices it tops out at only about 30MB/sec. And a USB flash drive will be even slower, especially for writes, because of the nature of the flash memory. In an SSD there are several flash chips ganged in parallel to achieve good transfer rates, but that's not true of a thumb drive.
Score
0
September 21, 2009 7:30:51 PM

Most laptops come with 7,200RPM hard drives. That's alot of speed, compared to somthing that can only read/write at 16MBPS. Which is redicloius. In order to get to the desktop, it will take a good 10 minutes.

Just my advice. Regarding your idea anyway, all you need to do is connect the USB, and select from the bois "Boot from USB Device" and then install windows onto it via the USB. So no need to fiddle around with the bay itself, other then that I don't know.
Score
0
March 20, 2010 1:54:01 PM

I have the same need, only for a different reason. I want to permanently convert some old laptops via USB key to turn them into low-cost 'thin clients' with VDIBlaster bootable USB key without having the USB key sticking out the side of the laptop (where it can get broken off/lost/stolen/etc..)
Score
0
March 23, 2010 10:21:38 PM

YOU MIGHT FIRST HAS TO INSTALL OS AND MAKE THE BOOTABLE PEN DRIVE ... AND IN

UR LAPTOP GO TO BIOS AND SELECT BOOT FROM REMOVAbLE DISK 1ST OPTION..


but dude u might fell not okay with dis stuff better is to use hdd for performance and data integrity
Score
0
July 30, 2010 6:47:17 PM

I don't know whether this issue had a real answer, but I need this idea to work on my laptop, as I cannot boot up from USB. SO, I need to convert a mem-stick to IDE
Score
0
August 6, 2010 2:04:26 AM

I never got a satisfactory answer to this question. I want a USB to EIDE adaptor. Stop trying to say I want something else. I want to stick my thumb drive inside the HDD bay. I know I can boot a USB stick plugged into the side or the back, or stick a HDD in the bay. THAT IS NOT WHAT I WANT.

Flash SSD is pushing the performance envelope requiring SATA-3 and USB 3.0, but still expensive. That performance trickles down to flash cards and USB thumb drives, and capacities are rising. Thumb drives get cheaper faster than HDD and SSD too. Why can't I plug a USB 2.0 or eventually a USB 3.0 thumb drive into an adapter than plugs into my EIDE HDD bay, or SATA HDD bay? The price and performance is attractive right now, and it will only get better. Is it slower? Yes. Not ideal? Who cares. Just tell me if it is possible. Does anyone make these kinds of adapters?
Score
0
August 17, 2010 8:09:18 PM

It seems like the following would work for what you want, but instead of USB, they are SD or CF to IDE HDD connector.
You have to ensure you get a CF / SD card that will be fast enough, and support the right HDD operating modes, (UDMA, etc) the links below have lots of discussion about that in the specs and reviews.

You could still pull the card out and copy files to other computers, using a SD or CF slot/adapter/card reader to the other computer. One below even has a USB connection to it so you could pull it out of the laptop, connect the USB cable, and connect to another computer.

CF -> IDE HDD
(lots on ebay - search 'CF IDE 2.5 HDD'
http://cgi.ebay.ca/CF-2-5-IDE-Hard-Disk-Drive-HDD-adapt...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/CF-Card-Compact-Flash-2-5-IDE-HDD-Ad...
http://www.addonics.com/products/flash_memory_reader/ad...
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10310#open%20...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

CF -> SATA HDD/ USB
this one is SATA, and ALSO USB usable.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N...

SD, but I am not sure about speeds, and you have to watch that you get the > 8GB SDHC variety. The following are just some examples, you have to check on size and speed compatibility for your use.
SD -> IDE HDD
http://mmui.en.alibaba.com/productshowimg/201162277-200...
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14822 (both SD and CF)

SD -> SATA HDD -
http://mmui.en.alibaba.com/product/213889239-200043274/...



Score
0
February 12, 2012 1:59:43 AM

I've done this with my eeepc 701, which had a single 4 gig ssd.

Open your laptop and look for an unused or usable usb connection. If you are really lucky, someone has already modded your laptop and posted info on the web ... most of us arent. Don't worry, there is often a easy solution to finding one, your webcam. Webcams generally connect to the mb using usb wiring. if not, you can use an existing external port. I used one of my three external usb ports.

First, find a decent hi-speed usb stick. Format it using the hp usb software, or most linux distros will let you prepare a stick for booting. Do this before doing anything else, since if the stick wont work, you're not ready to proceed.

Next, take apart the stick - remove the plastics. You dont need it if it's going to be enclosed. Find a vacant spot for the usb drive circuit board - it shouldnt block air flow or contact a fan.

Now is the fun part: solder four wires to the usb port connection on the mb - search for soldering tips first. it isnt hard, but obviously you can destroy the motherboard if you arent careful. you can create shorts, etc, so take your time. for what its worth, i succeeded my first time.

solder the wires to the usb stick (in the correct order as a usb cable or plug.)

Wrap electrical tape around the usb stick circuit board to prevent possible shorts, and tape or glue the stick where you want it to be.

Place a small peice of black electrical tape over the usb port you soldered, so the port cant be used - it actually looks okay once the laptop is reassembled.

Reassemble and test.

For even more fun, you can buy and take apart a usb hub (a small one, of course) and connect this to the usb port connection, then you could add more usb sticks than just one, or add blue tooth, wifi n, whatever usb device you want.
Score
0
February 12, 2012 7:07:41 AM

justincranford said:
Does anyone make an adaptor to convert a USB thumb drive to an internal HDD? I need to replace my laptop's dead hdd (40GB 2.5" 44-pin ide). Rather than get a new 2.5" hdd, I want like to plug a 32GB or 64GB usb 2.0 thumb drive into my laptop's hdd bay instead.

The right USB 2.0 thumb drive can be cheaper, smaller, faster (max 60MB/s), quicker (low latency), cooler, and less power hungry than laptop hdds. This could breath some new life into my old laptop.

I really like the idea of easy file transfer too. I could pull it out of the laptop hdd bay and plug it into other computer's USB port to copy files back and forth.

I am sure someone else has thought of this before. I can't be the only one who seems the upside of such an adaptor. There are plenty of adaptors to turn an internal HDD into a USB external drive, so why not the other way around?

Any help would be appreciated.


Hi,
It was long time back that you were looking for a solution to connect usb drive on IDE port. Have you found a solution? could you please share it with me.
I was mainly looking to attach my SD card to IDE port. Then insteadof buying an adapter for that, I thought of somehow converting my SD multi-card reader (USB) into the SD card to IDE adapter. (I dont mind a little DIY soldering job either).

If you got a solution, please share.

Thanks
Score
0
February 22, 2012 12:43:55 AM

@kampion998

This is the best answer I have heard so far. Most of the answers to this thread are from haters who have no sense of ADVENTURE. This is an enthusist site after all.

Anyway, I really like your idea to repurpose an unused, internal USB header already on the motherboard. I was thinking along the lines of an EIDE-to-USB adapter, but your USB-to-USB idea is way better. It is brilliant in its simplicity.

You actually got this to work? I am curious if you benchmarked it versus an EIDE HDD.
Score
0
March 2, 2012 2:11:56 PM

justincranford said:
@kampion998

This is the best answer I have heard so far. Most of the answers to this thread are from haters who have no sense of ADVENTURE. This is an enthusist site after all.

Anyway, I really like your idea to repurpose an unused, internal USB header already on the motherboard. I was thinking along the lines of an EIDE-to-USB adapter, but your USB-to-USB idea is way better. It is brilliant in its simplicity.

You actually got this to work? I am curious if you benchmarked it versus an EIDE HDD.

Hi I am also interested in doing something like this.but with sdhc.And with a desktop.I started a thread sdhc as ssd. I think such a rig could be created easily.by soldering into the usb header,or just using cheaphubs,card readers,pci card adapters sdhc,pen drives ect.. but soldering would be better.Have you tried this yet?did it work?Iam not interested in benchmarks.JUST, DOES IT WORK?
Score
0
March 3, 2012 8:17:08 PM

kampion998 said:
I've done this with my eeepc 701, which had a single 4 gig ssd.

Open your laptop and look for an unused or usable usb connection. If you are really lucky, someone has already modded your laptop and posted info on the web ... most of us arent. Don't worry, there is often a easy solution to finding one, your webcam. Webcams generally connect to the mb using usb wiring. if not, you can use an existing external port. I used one of my three external usb ports.

First, find a decent hi-speed usb stick. Format it using the hp usb software, or most linux distros will let you prepare a stick for booting. Do this before doing anything else, since if the stick wont work, you're not ready to proceed.

Next, take apart the stick - remove the plastics. You dont need it if it's going to be enclosed. Find a vacant spot for the usb drive circuit board - it shouldnt block air flow or contact a fan.

Now is the fun part: solder four wires to the usb port connection on the mb - search for soldering tips first. it isnt hard, but obviously you can destroy the motherboard if you arent careful. you can create shorts, etc, so take your time. for what its worth, i succeeded my first time.

solder the wires to the usb stick (in the correct order as a usb cable or plug.)

Wrap electrical tape around the usb stick circuit board to prevent possible shorts, and tape or glue the stick where you want it to be.

Place a small peice of black electrical tape over the usb port you soldered, so the port cant be used - it actually looks okay once the laptop is reassembled.

Reassemble and test.

For even more fun, you can buy and take apart a usb hub (a small one, of course) and connect this to the usb port connection, then you could add more usb sticks than just one, or add blue tooth, wifi n, whatever usb device you want.

Hello, GREAT SUGGESTION AND INSPIRATION !!!so many doubters with no sense of adventure . I am also intersted in doing something similiar,but with sdhc ,readers, usb hub or card,in a raid setup that can be bootable.The photofast 9000 adpter pci card is basically the same thing.So it can be done.I am not interested in benchmarks.Just in making it work.Without messing up my multiboot system.Could such a gizmocontraption be created fairly easily?Any suggestions or ideas?
Score
0
October 19, 2012 8:28:52 PM

justincranford said:
@kampion998

This is the best answer I have heard so far. Most of the answers to this thread are from haters who have no sense of ADVENTURE. This is an enthusist site after all.

Anyway, I really like your idea to repurpose an unused, internal USB header already on the motherboard. I was thinking along the lines of an EIDE-to-USB adapter, but your USB-to-USB idea is way better. It is brilliant in its simplicity.

You actually got this to work? I am curious if you benchmarked it versus an EIDE HDD.



I am also trying for the same in desktop for data reliability, as the data reliability is higher than that of magnetic disks(hard disks)
I used http://www.rmprepusb.com/ tool for NTFS conversion and booted but for so and so reason it is getting continuously getting rebooted.
I thought because of boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Multi(0) FOR ide OR EIDE and scsi(0) for only scsi I dont know for usb thumb drive.
If any body know help us for both,
Score
0
!