MSI X48C Platinum question, please help

Phlegznogs

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
This is my first foray into this forum so here goes:

I'm building a new box around the MSI X48C Platinum motherboard, but on the MSI site, I saw something unfamiliar and potentially disturbing in the specifications. The last line in the Main Memory category reads thus:

- Memory Turbo Card must be installed with either DDR2 or DDR3

Firstly, I've never even heard of a 'Memory Turbo Card' as far as mobo components go. Secondly, I've found very little information about them, and what little I did find only applied to a card designed for notebook PCs.

I cannot determine if this component is seriously necessary to find, buy, and install with the RAM on this motherboard. If it really is required, and not just some erroneous entry, what exactly do I need to buy, and what are my choices?

Can anyone on this board supply me with more information about this? I need to order the parts for this new machine this weekend, so I'm in a bit of panic over making sure all my bases are covered. If those of you have experience with this specific motherboard model, that would be most helpful as well.

Crazy-PC

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008

Yes you need to install the Memory Turbo Card in order to let your memory module work properly.

The "'Memory Turbo Card" in MSI X48C is something like the terminator in previous SCSI system, it should be accompanied with your MSI X48C so you don't need to buy.

If you use DDR2 RAM, you need to install the Memory Turbo Cards on DDR3 slot. If you use DDR3 RAM, you need to install the Memory Turbo cards on a specified DDR2 Ram slot.

Good Luck.