DDR3 vs DDR2 mobos

guitarxe

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
Hi, I am about to purchase an E8400 and I was thinking of buying a P5K mobo with it, but I am unsure of whether I should get the DDR2 or the DDR3 version. Right now all the DDR3 chips that I have seen are a lot more expensive than the DDR2. Something like $30 vs $100 for the same amount of memory. Why is it so expensive? Do they perform a lot better? Should I get that or is it not worth it at this time, and I should just use DDR2 until the next time I upgrade (~1 - 1.5 years from now) and then get DDR3?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Lets say that 14 months from now you want to re-use the $100 DDR3 memory you just bought today. Will it be fast enough to use with the slick new cpus available then? I doubt it. DDR3 with a (more expensive) motherboard will squeeze maybe 3 or 4% more measured speed from your system than DDR2 can. DDR2 is at the end of its life cycle but still plentiful and cheap. DDR3 is still new and expensive. If you spring for big $$$ DDR3 at today's cutting edge of speed, maybe you could re-use it for Nehelem with a new motherboard. Then again, maybe not...