Sign in with
Your question

Modem or Internet issue?

Last response: in Networking
December 3, 2008 8:23:17 PM

Alright, so lets get this out of the way; my isp is roadrunner. Im not putting out the cash for the internet and the person who does doesn't want to bother changing since they got entangled in some annoyingly complicated (that, + roadrunners lack of clarification on terms etc.) bundle-package thing.

Regardless, we blew a fuse recently (that's what we thought it was at the time, at least) and about half the power outlets in our house stopped working, but we still had half left. Our cable and internet stopped working as well.

We have an Ethernet connection and the-magical-cable-that-comes-from-the-wall-and-gives-Internets is right next to the modem, the computer, and the outlet that the modem is plugged into. Well that outlet was one that went out, so I moved the computer to a working outlet and strung together a ton of extension cables from the modem to the new outlet (the cable from the wall was too short to move the modem very far).

Well it didn't work. The modem powered on, the Power and Receive LED's were lit, except the Send LED was blinking and the Online one was off (obviously)

So eventually our landlord sent a technician over and figured out the problem was not that we'd blown a fuse but was actually a LAMP. Yes. My sister had attempted to turn on a lamp (that we never use) and everything went out, I had figured that was the final straw that blew it but apparently the fuse was fine, it was the lamp itself. Literally, the electrician's explanation was: "Yeah, this stuff happens some times. You're gonna need a new lamp."

ANYWAY, the fact that the internet didn't work even when the only thing that was different was the outlet that was powering the modem was different led me to believe something weird is up with my modem. However, if I remember correctly, the cable wasn't working either (even when we plugged it into a different outlet) which makes the think its the ISP. I'm also not 100% sure if the cable was working since I rarely watch TV, and the electrician was there pretty quickly.

I'm not expecting a specific cause, but does anyone have even a clue about whats wrong?

Also, we just got extremely frustrated (and by we, I mean her) with the customer support for our ISP, so now may be my opportunity to pounce and convince her to switch ISP's, any ideas for cheap high-speed ISP's out there?

More about : modem internet issue

December 4, 2008 8:33:12 PM

Just some advice...don't bait and switch :( 

Are you asking for advice on what the issue is or for advice on a new ISP?

The explanation is rather long..shorten it down to the key points that are casuing the issue. Im somewhat confused as to what your current setup looks like and how it differs from how it was as well as what worked and what no longer works.
December 5, 2008 12:52:50 AM

SizroSpunkmire said:
Just some advice...don't bait and switch :( 

Are you asking for advice on what the issue is or for advice on a new ISP?

The explanation is rather long..shorten it down to the key points that are casuing the issue. Im somewhat confused as to what your current setup looks like and how it differs from how it was as well as what worked and what no longer works.

Sorry, im asking what the issue is, I just threw the last bit in there in case anyone knows of a better isp for me to look up.

The main issue is that the internet works when the modem is plugged into a particular outlet (the one right next to the internet cable that comes from the wall), but if I plug the modem into another outlet (same internet wall-cable, just a different outlet powering the modem) then the internet doesnt work. The long description was just how I came to find this out, I thought it odd a lamp could disable half the power outlets in one's house.

I use ethernet. I wall cable plugs into my modem as well as a power cable, and the modem directly to my computer. Changing the modem power outlet is what screw everything up.
Related resources
!