Which HDD is best for 64-bit Windows 7?

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Thanks in advance everyone!

Ok, here is the deal. I have two hard drives, a WD Raptor 75GB 16MB Cache, and a WD 250GB 16 MB Cache model: (WD2500KS SE 16).

The question is, which HDD should I install Windows 7 64-bit on? I have poured through the threads and I found references to my raptor being too small for a 64-bit os. Is this true?

I looked at the HDD drive charts, and I understand my raptor does outperform the other. However, my question is: Is the Raptor too small for a 64-bit os?

Any insight would be deeply appreciated.

Also, I understand the Raptor outperforms the other drive. I looked at Tom's charts and compared the two. However, how much of this is noticiable? Thanks!

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Thanks for replying, sminlal! = )

As far as apps go, I have never had an issue with space. Word, Outlook, Team Fortress 2, MP3's etc... Usually all of that I install on the WD 250GB.

Very little other than the O/S goes on the Raptor. ; )

Does anyone have a compeling reason not to install Windows 7 64-bit on a 74GB Raptor as opposed to a WD 250GB?

Again, thanks!

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
For what it's worth, installing OS+apps onto a SSD is another option. 64-80GB is plenty for typical usage.
They're down to around $2.4-2.6/GB for non-problematic ones. Still a little more expensive than VelociRaptor, but the ability to do multi-task disc activities with hardly any slowdown compared to any HDD is well worth it.

crimsonking

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Thanks, Wuzy! = )

I must admit, my eye has been on the SSD for quite some time. However, like you mentioned, price has been an issue. = ( Hopefully one of these days. I have my fingers crossed. LOL...

As of now, I have my O/S on the raptor, pics, apps, games, music on the 250GB.

My 250GB was actually partitioned in half; with Windows 7 running on one of those partitions. Since installing it on the raptor, I have noticed a dramatic increase in speed. Whoo hoo!

Of course after using Windows 7, I threw Vista out quicker than a derogatory term I won't use in this forum. LOL... Hence, my questions.

joebob8387

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009

The best SSD on the market just got better and took about a 30% price cut! Intel just announced their new X25-M's and they should be showing up any day now.