New gaming PC, pre-built or customized.

Xarnthal

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
First off, thanks for any help. I've always built my own PC's, I did buy an Alienware Aurora m9700 Laptop a year and a half ago, but I'm looking for a new desktop.
I want something specifically that will run Age of Conan and Warhammer without hitching. I'm one of those unfortunate MMO gamers that can't stand looking at a choppy screen for hours on end :ange:
I don't know if I want an SLi type config, because I don't know that either of those two games support SLi. I looked around for it a bit, but I haven't built a PC in a 4 years and its tough to get straight answers when you don't know what you should be looking for. I would like to stay with Intel as I've had minor issues with AMD in the past. I don't know if I want quad-core or dual-core. From most of what I've read on here there is no performance increase in a quad-core for gaming. I also don't know anything at all about current video cards. Last one I bought was a Geforce 4400 Ti 256! Laptop has a 7900 Go GS that isn't quite cutting it in the Age of Conan beta. As for the HDD I definately want a raptor drive. I don't need a huge drive, the 150 gig raptors would be ideal. I have no idea about ram or the PSU.
I'd prefer not to build it myself, which is sort of why I came here. I don't know where to look for a good gaming desktop. I know Falcon-NW has a good reputation but you pay a lot extra for that reputation. Alienware is the same way and I wouldn't buy a desktop from them, I mainly bought the laptop from them for the full-size keyboard. I have no interest in Dell. I looked around a bit and I saw a company called IBUYPOWER on Newegg, but I've never heard of them. I know there's a ton of other ones out there but like I said, I don't know whats reliable and what's not.
I have roughly $2000 to play with, I could go higher if you think an SLi setup is worth going for. Cheaper would be good too ;). I don't need a monitor or anything, just the tower itself. All I really care about is that the games run smooth.
If you don't have time or feel like trying to configure a build, any information on other sites that build custom PC's would be good too! Thanks ! :)

rickkipp

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I've alway liked this company. They'll overclock for you, still with a warranty www.pugetsystems.com. I would check further into ibuywower via BBS, contact the state their in and see if and how dusputes have been handled. I agree that both Falcon and Alienware are too expensive. You can check ibuypower at circuit city and comp usa. Other than that, the absolute best builders are often your local shops. They'll work with you on parts, and it's up to you to specify brands, reputitions, reviews and reviews of each part. I have a great shop here, but I still just completed my first build at 62! Great challenge, fun full worth the work, especially the research. All really good researth/reviews and guides (Tom's has a decent one) plus, when you do settle on parts, all those companies url's you should save in a new Favorites Folder for easy access and to add more to later. Anandtech and Tom's provide a great amout of info with the reviews and in the forums, too. Good luck!