omarsg

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Hello,

I have a file on my desktop which whenever I wanted to copy out to my external 1Tb HDD, it will show me 'long filename error'. But it will copy into my external 40Gb HDD.

Thinking my 1Tb is faulty, I bought 2 more WD 1Tb HDD, but same error.

Both are formatted with NTFS, can someone relate to me something?

Thanks
omar

Very weird. Have you tried changing the name, even though it presumably isn't too long? Does eth external have any files on it?[/#000ff]

omarsg

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

Nope, external 1Tb HDD is empty. The issue is with one of the files deep inside that folder, the folder on the desktop is short. But yes, I have renamed it several times to even a single letter. Any clues? Thank :)

omarsg

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

Hi ijack, what I did was, I right clicked and copied that folder on the desktop of about 500Mb in size and paste it into the external 1TB HDD, hope I answered your question. Thanks.

omarsg

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

Haha, phew... nope... it was a full copy... halfway through it will prompt me that that long filename error and it only happened on my 1Tb HDD and not the 40Gb HDD.

omarsg

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

I don't know, it might be deep inside, because this is a setup folder. But even if it exists, copying to my ext 40Gb proved no issues... this long filename error only existed when copying into the 1Tb HDD (and I got 2 of them)

ps: I have been transferring this file twice yearly for the pass 3 years, issue only start now.

It's a mystery to me but a workaround is to copy to the 40Gb then rename.[/#000ff]

omarsg

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

Saga Lout, thanks, I will try that as a workaround.
Meanwhile if other members wish to advise me on your expertise, please do so, or it will remain a WinXP mystery :)

I'm still not clear whether you are copying into the same directory structure when copying to the 40GB and 1TB disks. (I ask because, with so much more space available, it's possible that you are using a deeper structure on the bigger disk and so creating longer filenames.)

If the hierarchy on both disks is the same, then I'm certainly baffled.

omarsg

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

ijack, both were copied into the root directory... I am certainly baffled too... being an IT technician as my work, I have no answer to this :)

One last shot from me. Given that the filename length includes the path, I wonder whether the 40Gb is a simple file shift from one drive to another but if the 1Tb has a folder of the same name as the original, doubling up that folder name could make the whole thing too long. I just re-read that to see if it makes sense but I can't find a better way of expressing it.

Anyway, to see if that's the case, open the file and use File>SaveAs and navigate to target the 1Tb drive and the appropriate folder. At least that will tell us if the drive has a particular dislike of that file type.

omarsg

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

I totally agree with you, my issue now will you tell me how to do that? Thanks...

omarsg

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

Thanks for that suggestion ijack. I will be away for the weekend, will be on it the moment I return to work. Thanks for the efforts and explanation :)

omarsg

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010

Hey ijack...

Yes something really silly, the HDD which contains the files fell off my dad's hospital bed while trying to work with it. I will get a new WD Elements 2Tb HDD and try again. I will be opening a new thread with a clearer explanation soon, hope you can add your thoughts to it when that happens. Anyway, appreciate your help totally..

omar