Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can copy into 40Gb Hdd but not 1Tb HDD

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 2, 2010 3:45:46 AM

Hello,

I have a file on my desktop which whenever I wanted to copy out to my external 1Tb HDD, it will show me 'long filename error'. But it will copy into my external 40Gb HDD.

Thinking my 1Tb is faulty, I bought 2 more WD 1Tb HDD, but same error.

Both are formatted with NTFS, can someone relate to me something?

Thanks
omar

More about : copy 40gb hdd 1tb hdd

September 2, 2010 5:55:49 AM

omarsg said:
Hello,

I have a file on my desktop which whenever I wanted to copy out to my external 1Tb HDD, it will show me 'long filename error'. But it will copy into my external 40Gb HDD.

Thinking my 1Tb is faulty, I bought 2 more WD 1Tb HDD, but same error.

Both are formatted with NTFS, can someone relate to me something?

Thanks
omar


[#0005ff]Very weird. Have you tried changing the name, even though it presumably isn't too long? Does eth external have any files on it?[/#000ff]

m
0
l
September 2, 2010 6:26:32 AM

Are you copying into the same folder structure on both external drives? (I.e. is the full filename the same length in both cases?)
m
0
l
Related resources
September 9, 2010 3:15:14 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]Very weird. Have you tried changing the name, even though it presumably isn't too long? Does eth external have any files on it?[/#000ff]


Nope, external 1Tb HDD is empty. The issue is with one of the files deep inside that folder, the folder on the desktop is short. But yes, I have renamed it several times to even a single letter. Any clues? Thank :) 
m
0
l
September 9, 2010 3:56:28 AM

Ijack said:
Are you copying into the same folder structure on both external drives? (I.e. is the full filename the same length in both cases?)


Hi ijack, what I did was, I right clicked and copied that folder on the desktop of about 500Mb in size and paste it into the external 1TB HDD, hope I answered your question. Thanks.
m
0
l
September 9, 2010 6:21:56 AM

Try copying it to the root directory on the external drive. If that works then it is down to the directory structure creating a path length that is too long.
m
0
l
September 9, 2010 7:51:18 AM

[#0005ff]I hate to say this but I've done it myself and felt stupid over it. Given that this file is on the Desktop, are you by any chance only trying to copy a shortcut?[/#000ff]
m
0
l
September 9, 2010 8:13:39 AM




Does the sum total of the path and filename exceed 255 characters?
m
0
l
September 9, 2010 12:09:07 PM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]I hate to say this but I've done it myself and felt stupid over it. Given that this file is on the Desktop, are you by any chance only trying to copy a shortcut?[/#000ff]


Haha, phew... nope... it was a full copy... halfway through it will prompt me that that long filename error and it only happened on my 1Tb HDD and not the 40Gb HDD.
m
0
l
September 9, 2010 12:16:29 PM

tigsounds said:
Does the sum total of the path and filename exceed 255 characters?


I don't know, it might be deep inside, because this is a setup folder. But even if it exists, copying to my ext 40Gb proved no issues... this long filename error only existed when copying into the 1Tb HDD (and I got 2 of them)

ps: I have been transferring this file twice yearly for the pass 3 years, issue only start now.
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 6:48:27 AM

omarsg said:
I don't know, it might be deep inside, because this is a setup folder. But even if it exists, copying to my ext 40Gb proved no issues... this long filename error only existed when copying into the 1Tb HDD (and I got 2 of them)

ps: I have been transferring this file twice yearly for the pass 3 years, issue only start now.


[#0005ff]It's a mystery to me but a workaround is to copy to the 40Gb then rename.[/#000ff]
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 9:15:05 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#0005ff]It's a mystery to me but a workaround is to copy to the 40Gb then rename.[/#000ff]


Saga Lout, thanks, I will try that as a workaround.
Meanwhile if other members wish to advise me on your expertise, please do so, or it will remain a WinXP mystery :) 
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 9:27:41 AM

I'm still not clear whether you are copying into the same directory structure when copying to the 40GB and 1TB disks. (I ask because, with so much more space available, it's possible that you are using a deeper structure on the bigger disk and so creating longer filenames.)

If the hierarchy on both disks is the same, then I'm certainly baffled.
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 9:34:35 AM

Ijack said:
I'm still not clear whether you are copying into the same directory structure when copying to the 40GB and 1TB disks. (I ask because, with so much more space available, it's possible that you are using a deeper structure on the bigger disk and so creating longer filenames.)

If the hierarchy on both disks is the same, then I'm certainly baffled.


ijack, both were copied into the root directory... I am certainly baffled too... being an IT technician as my work, I have no answer to this :) 
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 9:37:58 AM

One last shot from me. Given that the filename length includes the path, I wonder whether the 40Gb is a simple file shift from one drive to another but if the 1Tb has a folder of the same name as the original, doubling up that folder name could make the whole thing too long. I just re-read that to see if it makes sense but I can't find a better way of expressing it.

Anyway, to see if that's the case, open the file and use File>SaveAs and navigate to target the 1Tb drive and the appropriate folder. At least that will tell us if the drive has a particular dislike of that file type.



m
0
l
September 10, 2010 9:48:58 AM

It might be interesting to test how long the longest filename in your hierarchy is. If you're up to a little C# programming here's a short one that will do that for you.

I'm not saying this will solve your problem, but when strange things like this occur it's always useful to know what is happening.
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 10:16:16 AM

Ijack said:
It might be interesting to test how long the longest filename in your hierarchy is. If you're up to a little C# programming here's a short one that will do that for you.

I'm not saying this will solve your problem, but when strange things like this occur it's always useful to know what is happening.


I totally agree with you, my issue now will you tell me how to do that? Thanks...
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 10:51:42 AM

C# programming? That's rather a large subject for a post....
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 10:59:33 AM

Ijack said:
C# programming? That's rather a large subject for a post....


Sorry man, C# was something I was sleeping in class :sweat: 
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 11:04:52 AM

A simpler way might be to try doing an xcopy of the directory to the external drive and checking which file it is failing on (use the /f switch to display the filenames). Then you can count how long it actually is.
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 6:32:30 PM

Ijack said:
A simpler way might be to try doing an xcopy of the directory to the external drive and checking which file it is failing on (use the /f switch to display the filenames). Then you can count how long it actually is.


Thanks for that suggestion ijack. I will be away for the weekend, will be on it the moment I return to work. Thanks for the efforts and explanation :) 
m
0
l
September 10, 2010 6:35:23 PM

I'm away myself for a couple of weeks, but good luck with it. It'll probably turn out to be something really silly.
m
0
l
October 3, 2010 3:48:41 AM

Ijack said:
I'm away myself for a couple of weeks, but good luck with it. It'll probably turn out to be something really silly.


Hey ijack...

Yes something really silly, the HDD which contains the files fell off my dad's hospital bed while trying to work with it. I will get a new WD Elements 2Tb HDD and try again. I will be opening a new thread with a clearer explanation soon, hope you can add your thoughts to it when that happens. Anyway, appreciate your help totally..

omar
m
0
l
!