Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a <$250 LGA 775 MoBo that supports Crossfire

Last response: in Motherboards
June 29, 2008 4:44:36 AM

Hey guys, I'm looking for a MoBo that will support Crossfire. I am planning to run 2x HD 4870s with a Intel Q6600 CPU. I would ideally like to use DDR2 RAM. I can't seem to correctly locate a good board, but since you guys are the experts, I thought I'd ask around here. The cache: I'm looking for one under 250 dollars.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2008 5:01:35 AM

ok the thing to do here is go to newegg.com

hover the mouse over the computer hardware tab

click motherboards

click intel motherboards

click LGA 775

click on any of the intel north bridges

click on price range

AND WALAH... you have boards that will work for you and you don't have to ask us to do it for you...

honestly do it yourself... there's stuff we do with in reason... but seriously do a little research yourself before you ask us to help

if that seems harsh flame me all you want =D
June 29, 2008 5:02:03 AM

You have alot of options based on that criteria:

P45 chipset:
Asus P5Q Pro or any other P45 Asus board for that matter

x38 chipset:
any board under your price cap would work

x48 chipset:
any board under your price cap would work
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 29, 2008 5:09:33 AM

I would look for something in the P45, or the X38 chipset. The former will give you PCI-E 2.0 with Crossfire X8 X8. Also it's Intels newest chipset built using 65nm, so it should run pretty cool. The latter will give PCI-E 2.0 with Crossfire X16 X16. It's built on the 90nm process, so it will run warmer than the P45. There was a review (I believe it was at TweakTown) that showed that there was a small loss going from X16 to X8 Crossfire, in some extreme cases as much as 10%.

You should be able to find a motherboard from either chipset that fits your price range. For the money, you can get a relatively high end P45, or a mid range X38.

I'm not going to recommend any particular motherboard, because brand is really a matter of preference. I like both ASUS and Giga-Byte. For myself I am looking at the P5Q Deluxe, though for the moment I have an nVidia graphics card, so I have no desire to run Crossfire.
June 29, 2008 5:56:42 AM

Quote:
ok the thing to do here is go to newegg.com

hover the mouse over the computer hardware tab

click motherboards

click intel motherboards

click LGA 775

click on any of the intel north bridges

click on price range

AND WALAH... you have boards that will work for you and you don't have to ask us to do it for you...

honestly do it yourself... there's stuff we do with in reason... but seriously do a little research yourself before you ask us to help

if that seems harsh flame me all you want =D

My research showed that only one type of Intel chipset supported Crossfire. I've done plenty of research myself. I've made over ten (well-researched) wishlists for my PC build. I'm not afraid of doing it myself or I would just call up Dell. Simply telling me that all of the Intel NBs support Crossfire would have been sufficient.

Though everyone, thank you.
June 29, 2008 6:06:53 AM

Not all intel chipsets support crossfire. The P35 chipset does not support it, and as stated the P45 supports it at x8 for each slot. To get true x16 for each slot you need an x38/48 north bridge.
June 29, 2008 6:50:17 AM

I would go with a x38 or x48 mobo if you want crossfire with x16 for each slot.
June 29, 2008 7:23:25 AM

sciggy said:
Not all intel chipsets support crossfire. The P35 chipset does not support it, and as stated the P45 supports it at x8 for each slot. To get true x16 for each slot you need an x38/48 north bridge.

Not true, the P35 chipset can do crossfire, however its standard configuration leaves a lot to be desired, as it is normally implemented as 1 - x16 1 -x4, not really an optimal solution. The X38 or X48 chipsets are best for crossfire with their 2 -x16 setup.
June 29, 2008 7:34:51 AM

rgsaunders said:
Not true, the P35 chipset can do crossfire, however its standard configuration leaves a lot to be desired, as it is normally implemented as 1 - x16 1 -x4, not really an optimal solution. The X38 or X48 chipsets are best for crossfire with their 2 -x16 setup.

Did not know that P35 did crossfire, thanks for the heads up. Based on what you said though, any mid to high end card would be choked by that low of bandwith on the 2nd slot.
!